FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Annoying Issues with "MS" Word

Author Topic: Annoying Issues with "MS" Word
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Up to about two years ago, my documents were never designed professionally. Titles had colons after hem, colons were underlined with the previous word, paragraphs were seperated by a double-enter,and my heading styling was inconsistent.

Today, when I'm writing a document (whether or not to print to school), I edit styles, designing each to fit with the other, and sometimes I construct my documents from "Outline View". I like having things get a LOT easier as time moves on; but there's still a problem...

Sometimes, I like to configure what Word offers me as styles. Sometimes, I want "Heading 1" (fixed style) to actually be at Level Two or Level Three from the Outline point of view, and from the point of view of the TOC. Sometimes, I want to have three sub-chapter headings, and I want the damn thing to be at Level Two or Level Three (if I have something beyong "Chapter".

When I try to configure Heading 1, 2 and 3 to each be two levels lower (Styles and Formatting > right click + Modify Style > Format > Paragraph), it will pretend to change all right, then after I click "OK" and go back into "Format > Paragraph", it'll show me (and function) as if it is Level One.

BUT I DIDN'T ASK YOU TO BE LEVEL ONE, DAMNIT!

I use the latst version of Word, on the latest version of Windows. I am sick and tired of this thing, and I'm sick of making impressioned styles based on them, wasting precious document space on fixed style configuration I don't use that I can't even delete.

WHY?

Also, I am sick and tired of styles that won't let me change their paragraph direction (right-to-left or left-to-right). I write in two languages, let me do it properly! I ask again:

WHY?

Hoping for an answer.

JH

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Because Word is a stupid, stupid program, especially when it comes to styles, bullets, and numbering.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
Because Word is a stupid, stupid program, especially when it comes to styles, bullets, and numbering.

Agreed.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Because Microsoft is the Great Satan and Word is full of little devils holding little hot pokers to burn you whenever you want to make Word act like a real document design program like Quark. :evillaugh:
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
We have Davkawriter at home, and it works great.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't even get me started on trying to configure TOC tabs with Bullets and Numbering. It makes no sense! And I did everything straightforward.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Davka costs too much!
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
You gets whats you pays for.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Oh, so if I bought Word legally I'd gets what I pays for?
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Every rule has an exception.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
And every exception has a presidential candidate.

JH, I would say think through your outline very carefully before assigning anything to Styles. Then you won’t have to change them as much. Also, that whole outline function is so buggy in Word. Setting up the headings throws macros all over the place that will screw up your document whenever possible. You’ll feel better if you just avoid using it. Create your own styles and then perhaps you won’t run into Word’s pigheadedness so much.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

It sets MACROS?!

VILLAINS!!!

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
*shrug* I use headings, TOCs, and outline functions in Word all the time, and it always does what I want.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
LaTeX.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
For outlines, there is nothing superior to OmniOutliner (which is, unfortunately for some, OS X only). For word processing, I far prefer Pages. For text editing, there are many options.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.