FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Shameless bragging about my boss

Author Topic: Shameless bragging about my boss
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
My division head made the CIO Top 100. I'm actually quite proud of him. I'm not sure where I'll put this, so I guess I'll tell y'all.

http://www2.cio.com/archive/081505/winner.cfm?id=8
quote:
Transformed conservative organization by providing real-time membership information from any computer in the world through a new portal that initially had little top-level buy-in, understanding or funding.
I love that description. It's a nice way of saying he made something very expensive happen in spite of no one above understanding what the whole point of it was, and it turned out spectacularly well.

This is the very nice guy who is so concerned about my personal life, in a paternal kind of way. That annoying habit aside, I really like him, and I like working where I do. I'm sure a lot of that is attributable to my boss. I'm happy for him.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay for him! And I'm glad you like your work. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Cool. [Smile] Working for a nice boss makes all the difference in the world.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
By chance, is he interested in working for anyone new? (I mean, now that he has achieved 'best of the best' for you-all). I know a non-profit looking for a new CIO if he wants to move to Kansas for a change of scenery.

[Wink]

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know if he'd be interested in coming to speak (from a policy and/or career standpoint, aimed at educating students on practical issues in the real world) for one of the largest and best Informatics schools in the country (among other things, considerable research is done here on IT policy), at one of the most wired universities in the country?

http://informatics.indiana.edu/

An honorarium could likely be arranged, if so desired.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Fugu, if you're serious, I can definitely pass on any requests. [Smile]

Farmgirl: *laugh* Fortunately for us, he's declared his intention of staying with the Boy Scouts. The previous two CIOs had stayed for five years apiece, and at his five year anniversary toast a few months, he said he was planning on breaking the trend.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Definitely serious. I know the school would love to have him come speak, and we have a solid budget for such things, particularly this early in the year.

Subject and date would be extremely flexible; we have a series of "career workshops" which he could choose to talk on the subject of, or he could do a more general talk on policy-related things (and I'm certain my Organizational Informatics professor would love to have him give a small guest lecture in class, too) which wouldn't be a part of the series.

Attendance isn't usually huge, but a few dozen students isn't hard to get, particularly for as recognizable an organization as the Boy Scouts, and these would be students interested in doing his sort of work. Typical format is a talk of an hour or less, followed by a question and answer period.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Send me an e-mail that I can forward on. [Smile] I don't know what his policy is, but it couldn't hurt to try. He also has kids in college, so I'd think he'd be delighted for the chance to talk to students.
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I only had to click on three links to find out what CIO stands for. Of course, it was nice to see that it's a general thing and not strictly a non-profit honor. Very nice.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

The bureaucracy here can get kind of mucky, and half the people are on vacation right now in their last chance before school starts; I'll send an email from myself shortly and see about the administration in the near future.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.