FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Newcomer

Author Topic: Newcomer
BGgurl
Member # 8541

- posted      Profile for BGgurl   Email BGgurl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone! My name's Kelly and I'm a freshman at Bowling Green State University (hence my username). I first got into OSC when we were required to read Ender's Shadow my sophmore year of high school. Since then I've almost completed the Shadow series and am still working on some of OSC's other books. I've sorta been lurking around here for the past four years and now I've finally gotten the courage to post. I feel its very refreshing to come to a forum where most everyone has something intelligent or interesting to contribute. Anyway I just wanted to make my presence known and now I should probably turn in for the night seeing as how I have a 9:30 AM class (*yawn*). I look forward to reading your comments.
Posts: 106 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome...I know, not all that original or thought provoking, but still.. [Wink]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll say welcome as well. I'll also say I had a friend who (I'm fairly certain) went to Bowling Green for at least a while. I think he transferred due to program availability or something. That may be tangential in itself, but I thought it was something worth mentioning.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the wonderful world of Hatrack! Where people come to dance the night away and live their fantasies...ahem...I'm sorry, I get a little carried away sometimes.

Seriously, welcome.

Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack. I like that she thinks that "everyone" here has something intelligent or interesting to contribute. [Smile]
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThatGuyfromFreshmanYear
Member # 8533

- posted      Profile for ThatGuyfromFreshmanYear   Email ThatGuyfromFreshmanYear         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I was a newcomer yesterday. It was a horrifying experience. Not knowing whether you're going to be accepted by the cool kids. Anyways, now that I'm confident in my own standing here, welcome to Hatrack. It's good to have a new new kid.
Posts: 42 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm, fresh meat!

Welcome to Hatrack. I used to work with a guy from Bowling Green. He was kinda wierd.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome!
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, BGgurl!! Good to see you around!! [Smile]

I'm Raia. It's lovely to meet you!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there! Congratulations for taking the plunge. . . I suspect the longer you lurk first the harder it is. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome!

But, Lyrhawn, I think it was "most everyone".

Obviously you are on the outer. [Razz]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave] Don't worry. Only some of us bite. I'm a newbie, too!

I think.

How long after you register does it take for "Newbie Status" to wear off?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
when you hit 2k you aren't a newbie, when you are real, you aren't a newbie, when well when you ask if you're still a newbie, you are.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
1000 posts, so in your case, about two days? [Dont Know]

Edit: breyerchic04 = clearer, faster, more complete [Hail]

Welcome, BGgurl! [Wave]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never been worshipped on hatrack before, maybe i need to work on this (oh rhaegar the fool where are you?)
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kettricken
Member # 8436

- posted      Profile for Kettricken   Email Kettricken         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello!

I'm new too. I've been lurking for a while (a different time zone from most posters means that discussions had moved on before I got the chance to add anything relevant).

I decided it was about time to jump in, posting when I can.

Melissa

Posts: 169 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Strange how Ender's Shadow could be the gateway novel into OSC. You mean you haven't read Ender's Game yet? That's required reading around here. [Smile]
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BGgurl
Member # 8541

Actually yeah, I have read Ender's Game, but not because it was required reading. I actually read Ender's Game right after reading Ender's Shadow.
Posts: 106 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, BGgurl. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
It's hard to imagine enjoying Ender's Shadow without having already read Ender's Game, but I guess it's possible. [Smile] For me, Ender's Shadow was like "Cool, the same story from Bean's point of view."
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome newbies! [Smile]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave] Hi Kettricken! What kind of name is that? Does it mean something that I should recognise?

Welcome aboard and enjoy the fun.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suzie_q
Member # 8545

- posted      Profile for suzie_q   Email suzie_q         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'm new too, but having trouble making posts so I'm testing it out here.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Hi suzie! Looks like you're getting the hang of it.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi BGgurl, Kettricken, and suzie-q -- welcome to you all!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, you know you used susieq's name in the nameology thread 2 days before she registered?
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniK
Member # 3939

- posted      Profile for JenniK   Email JenniK         Edit/Delete Post 
Her name is the name of a Queen in Robin Hobb's world... [Big Grin]
Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

That was SusieQ, not suzie_q.
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to all. [Smile]

BGgurl - Are you, by any chance, on the rugby team? We (UofM) are going to be playing you guys in October.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kettricken
Member # 8436

- posted      Profile for Kettricken   Email Kettricken         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, as JenniK says Kettricken comes from Robin Hobb's trilogies. There are three, the Farseer trilogy, the Liveships trilogy and the Tawny man trilogy.

All three are well worth reading - I started with the Liveships although the Farseer was written first. Either of those can be read first as they are separate although set in the same world (different places). The Tawny Man has to be read last as it ties the other two together.

I highly recommend them.

Posts: 169 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, new people. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BGgurl
Member # 8541

Miro - No, I'm not on the rugby team, but I'd like to try and get to one of the games.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.