FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How are classes going, college students?

Author Topic: How are classes going, college students?
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Since we had threads talking about what we were going to take, let's talk about our adventures with the first few weeks of class.

I'm taking three classes. None of the instructors/professors I have are the ones listed on the schedule. Also, I haven't even met one of them yet. I'm supposed to be in class in 20 minutes but I won't be - because there is no class being held. Our professor is not due to return to the country until next week, so we won't meet him until then. All classes up to then have been cancelled.

One professor told us when he was asked by the department head how many people could be in the class, he said 120 as a joke. They took him seriously, and overscheduled the class so there are actually 125 students. For a communication class that requires student participation every class. And they put us in a room that's not set up as an auditorium, so the majority of the class can't see him, which is fun because we're studying nonverbal communication and it would be nice if we could actually see him.

They also didn't have the air on during the first class, which was really nice in an overcrowded room in August in Alabama. He did tell us not to worry, the class would reduce by about half after the first test, which wasn't really all that encouraging since it's a requirement for my major so I don't have the option of just dropping it. Oh, and the professor wrote the book we're using which always makes things fun.

My other class is going well. It's got about 70 students in an air conditioned, stadium seating room with an adjunct instructor whose "real" job is an editor for Southern Living magazine. He has a great sense of humor, so when we were asked to turn in a writing assignment I tried to strike a good tone with him and it must have worked - he likes me. I'm going to try hard to exploit that, and maybe get an in on getting something published with the SL conglomerate. [Razz]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
mine doesnt start till monday, i have 5 classes i think.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry Belle; my experience with lecturers who say half the class will drop out are usually right, but it's always the half who just can't be bothered.

You'll be fine. [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
My classes are great. I have two really eccentric professors (British Lit and Asian Religions), an ornithologist teaching me biology (which I think is pretty cool - I like birds), and my Asian Art History teacher has lived in China for many years and really knows her stuff. I'm excited. [Smile]
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I have too much reading at the moment. I am not being myself in that I haven't finished all that I should. Part of it is lack of time (when you have 250 pages you have to read, 30 pages you should read, and something like 300 pages you ought to read, it's kind of ridiculous). The other part is I just don't like most of my classes. At least I'm getting them all out of the way. No more stuff like this after this point.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I had my first class last Monday. There are about 13 people in the class, and I know 3 of them from previous classes. It's a small graduate program, so there are a lot of new students this year! I took a Creative Writing class from the professor last year, and I'm the only student she knows. [Smile]

It was pretty cool.

I didn't take part in the discussion on "issues" in the 1950s, though. There are a lot of people who seemed to know a ton about it. Some of them lived through it, I think. [Wink] Or at least were born back then. It's a literature class on that period, so it was sort of a get acquainted with the era type of discussion. I didn't have much to add.

I'm the lucky student giving an oral report first! This Monday. I finished the book last night, and need to figure out what in the world I'm going to talk about today. Then I'll discuss it with the professor tomorrow.

How fun, right? [Smile] I'm glad to get it over with, actually.

My other "class" is more of a directed study thing. It's the semester before I take the thesis class officially, so I have a lot of preliminary research and writing to do. And it's being overseen by the same professor.

So... a good first week, so far. [Smile]

Edited to remove excessive use of the word "though."

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in awe at the number of people who have started classes already. I'm not used to anyone starting until the day after after our Labour Day or so, which is on the fifth of September, this year.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine are going ok I suppose. I am still getting a feel for what the classes are going to be like. Hopefully this semester won't be too bad.
Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Rei, your Labour Day is the same as our Labor Day (at least this year, but I think every year). Most of the elementary and high schools start just after, but very few of the colleges start that late.

Although I think most don't start until this Monday.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Oh, I WISH the elementary and high schools around here started that late. In fact, I'm surprised that there are schools that still start in September. I was under the impression that the norm is now to start in early August.

Remember when summer lasted 3 months? Not anymore. You're lucky if you get 2 now.

Anyway, I'm used to college starting a few weeks after the lower schools, and finishing about a month earlier. I guess college summers ARE closer to 3 months.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
We don't need snow days. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Mine start today! [Angst]

I have two to start with (in about an hour!): Tantric Traditions and Intro to Near Eastern Civilizations.

Tomorrow I have Linguistics 101, Religions of Ancient Israel, and Urban Archeology.

Opinions to come henceforth.

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Oh. I'm pretty sure when I was a kid we had snow days.. and we still got 3 months. School boards and company are SNEAKY. They just want to lock up the kids and teachers longer and longer.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*shrug* At the schools I went to, they still start after Labor Day and get out between the 14th and 22nd of June, same as when I was a kid.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Then it's clear that the South is evil.

(Edit: I don't really believe that. I like the South. [Smile] )

pfresh85
Member # 8085

I think part of it depends on the area you're from. I know some kids out near the eastern coast and up north, and they don't start till after Labor Day for anything (elementary, high school, or college). Down south though (where I am from), everywhere starts in August (how early depends on the place).

EDIT: I take part of it back. I have a friend going to college in New York, and I think she may have started already. That's the only case I've seen of that though.

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you live in the south, Katarain?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Yes, I do. And I probably thought the world changed regarding when school starts, when in reality, it was just the fact that I moved down South. [Smile]

I used to live in New York.

I loooooooove the South and I Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove my Southern Husband. [Smile] Hehe. I love to tease him that he married a northerner. Though he says I'm southern now. I'm claimed. So I can't diss it too much.

advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what's more annoying--classes you've paid plenty of money for where the professor can't be bothered to be present and teach you something, or students who've paid plenty of money for the class who never show up.

I had one class early in my master's program where the professor kind of cut out after about two weeks, and didn't teach a dang thing the rest of the semester. He still required a final paper, of course. I have studiously avoided taking anything by that professor again. It was a weird feeling, almost like a dream--I would go maybe a week or two without even thinking about the class, and would occasionally remember with a jolt that I should probably check to see if anything was happening. Ever had those dreams where you forget about something really important to you and finally remember it? That was me.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine don't start until Monday, but I got my books! [Smile] Only $168 this semester! (That's an all-time low for me.)

Belle, what a strange first week of class! That has never happened to me. Hopefully things will improve for those other two classes in the coming weeks!

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BGgurl
Member # 8541

- posted      Profile for BGgurl   Email BGgurl         Edit/Delete Post 
I had my first class on Monday. I guess they've been going okay so far. The only class I really dislike is Biology simply because it's incredably boring.
Posts: 106 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
My classes don't start until monday either. I also already got most of my books...and I paid nothing. How, you ask? I went to the school library and took them out. And because I'm in the Honors program, I can keep them out for the whole semester. [Evil Laugh] MWAHAHAH...isn't life grand?
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I'm frustrated with book costs, personally. Right before the semester started, I bought about $350 worth of books, thinking that was all I had to buy and that I had done decently as far as cost (I bought probably 80% used and 20% new). Then I find out that there were six more books I needed to buy for one course (which cost me another $100 or so), and one extra book for another course (which I still haven't picked up yet, but I expect it to be $20 at the least). *sigh* Too much money goes to books. At least it's not my money since I do have stipend from my scholarship to cover it.
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pfresh85:
EDIT: I take part of it back. I have a friend going to college in New York, and I think she may have started already. That's the only case I've seen of that though.

I go to college in NY (Cornell U) and I started today. The other college in this town (Ithaca College) started yesterday.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I love my classes this semester! I've never been more excited about college. I got into the Business Honors program last semester, so now I'm taking 3 business honors courses and they look to be challenging yet very rewarding. Plus I have someone to talk to in every class. Life is looking good. [Cool]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.