FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Required to read a book for school. Help me choose which one!

Author Topic: Required to read a book for school. Help me choose which one!
Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
ok so i have to read one of these books, tell me which one i should to read and why. Thanks
1. Billy Bud - Herman Melville
2. The Last of the Mohicans - James Fenimore Cooper
3. Walden - Henry David Thoreau
4. The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin - (lol u should know)
5. Narrative of the Life of Fredrick Douglass - (one again)

Benjamin Franklins auto sounds the most interesting to me. discuss

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Number 4 will be the most "fun" read, I recommend it as an excellent tale as well as important work of literature.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second number 4. And the first two are pretty painful in my opinion- I'd advise against picking them.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humean316
Member # 8175

- posted      Profile for Humean316   Email Humean316         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are the existentialist like me, then 3 is great. It is one of my favorites and I love to quote it.
Posts: 457 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked both 4 and 5 a LOT. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Billy Bud.

A kick of a story that you can get a lot of mileage out of philosophically. Plus -- it's Melville. His prose style blows the others out of the water (including Thoreau). But really, other than Cooper, you can't go wrong with any of the choices.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I couldn't get through either 3 or 4, although it has been a few years since I tried. I've not read any of the others.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
I would say NOT Billy Bud or Frederick Douglas.

Go with 3 or 4.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I say 3 myself. Definitely not Billy Bud. That's one of the worst books I was required to read. I actually enjoyed Walden for the most part.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
Anything but No. 5

Seriously.

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I would definitely choose Billy Budd.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Tatiana has impeccable taste. You should listen to her.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, at least you have a consensus. [Wink] Pick the shortest one (Walden, I think), read it first, then go back and read as many of the rest as you can. I don't see why it is necessary to chose only one of the five.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I pick 5, followed by 4, followed by 2, followed by amputating your least-used limb to get out of reading the other 2.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
All five are decent, although Last of the Mohicans is the worst of them.

I'd recommend Billy Budd, but Walden has some interesting philosophical ideas that it's possible to fit onto a sweatshirt. And Ben Franklin tells a pretty good story, even if it's about himself. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my stars, Billy Budd was awful. Avoid it like the plague.

I actually liked Last of the Mohicans. [Dont Know]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you will get a good recommendation for you unless you mention what you enjoy in a book. Some people will like Walden, for instance, and some will be totally bored by it.

Although, why not make the decision easy and read them all? [Wink]

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I chose to read Billy Budd outside of school, and I enjoyed it. It was reallllly short, and it was an interesting enough story. Of course, not being required to dissect it, I'm sure I enjoyed it a lot more.

The only other I can speak to is the Autobio of Ben Franklin. While I have not read it, I did do a few projects on Ben Franklin during school and found his life to be fascinating. Whether it will translate when told from his own POV, I don't know. I know nothing of his style.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I second the call for 3 or 4. Depends on what you are looking for, a fun and interesting read, or a real thought provoker? Franklin could provoke thought too, but not deep, life pondering, existentialist questions like Thoreau's transcendentalism (is that right?) would pose.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.