FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » When was the last time fiction made you cry? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: When was the last time fiction made you cry?
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I cried a couple times during Revenge of the Sith.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
You can now add Beaches to the list.

I could tell that was going to happen when I got about 30 minutes into it the other night. I predicted it would get maudlin, and I would cry. I finished watching it last night. *sniffle* It did, and I did.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah I agree with BSG especially the scene where the old man forgives starbuck.

End of Gladiator. Love that show.

And a whole bunch of times during Worthing Saga.

Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I think I may be alone on this one...

But, at the risk of ruining my recommendations for years to come, Disney's Treasure Planet gets me every time I watch it, too.

quote:
Now, you listen to me, James Hawkins. You got the makings of greatness in you, but you got to take the helm and chart your own course. Stick to it, no matter the squalls! And when the time comes you get the chance to really test the cut of your sails, and show what you're made of! Well, I hope I'm there, catching some of the light coming off you that day.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just_me
Member # 3302

- posted      Profile for just_me           Edit/Delete Post 
Normally I'm not a crier. I didn't shed a single tear when I read The Doomsday Book, even though my best friend said it made him cry and my wife said it was one of the saddest things she ever read.

But The Time Travelers Wife mad eme cry... twice

SPOILER ALERT

Once when they sat down to watch the events of Sept 11. I guess it hit me partially because I live in NY for so long and was personally affected by the actual events and partially because I didn't notice the date when reading the book so I was wondering what he was buying a TV for... and then got the suprise

And once when he died. I knew it was coming and didn't think it'd affect me that way but it did anyway.

Posts: 409 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
The Lost Boys
Where the Red Fern Grows
Little Women
Harry Potter #4, when Mrs. Weasley hugs Harry and he realized that he'd never been hugged with love like that before.

AND...*deep breath*

Dragonlance, Legends trilogy. Oh my stars, I BAWLED when Raistlin...you know the part. I cried for two days. I was fourteen, but still.

There are so many - I cry at fiction all the time.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I cried like a baby at the end of Dead Poets' Society. [Blushing] Ron had to hold me for a long time before I could even talk. It wasn't the death part, but the actual ending, which was sort of uplifting.

I am a sap. Beaches also got me, but I was young and had no idea it was going to be sad. Duh. Sniffled at Shawshank Redemption, too.

Books? When I got to a certain point in A Tale of Two Cities I put it down because I knew I couldn't read it where people could see me cry. Whenever I get to the end of LotR (books) I cry like a silly person because there isn't any more. I cried over Hoom in Worthing Saga, after I got over the gut-punched sickness of it all. I cried atthe end of Lost Boys, but I'm not sure if that counts because I was severely post-partum depressed at the time and cried a lot for no reason. But I'll count it. [Wink]

On the somewhat embarrassed side, I cried at the end of Latter Days, even though it was kind of cliche and not all that great... We're not just dots... *sniffle* [Blushing]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I can't remember the last one, but that's because it happens so often. I cry at fiction all the time. I also laugh out loud at books, which, believe it or not, gets more weird looks than crying. [Dont Know]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a big sappy cryer... I cry with certain commercials.

I too have not been able to re-read The Lost Boys. I read it about 6 or 7 years ago and still can't pick it up and read it again. I think its the only OSC book I haven't read at least twice. My husband hasn't even read it once since it made me cry so much he is a little afraid to read it... he's a big cryer too.

I cried when Boon died in Lost, and the last half of the season finale.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I read Lost Boys whenever I need a good cry but am having a hard time getting it, because I know that last line will do it for me.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a big cryer, but after watching Grave of the Fireflies a couple of times to show it to friends, I now cry the moment it starts, so I can't show it to people anymore.

I also sometimes cry over episodes of Law & Order SVU, which I'm just now getting into.

Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KEGE
Member # 424

- posted      Profile for KEGE   Email KEGE         Edit/Delete Post 
ketchupqueen - yes laughing loudly while reading a book in a public place does get you lots of weird looks - probably more so than quietly crying (I imagine if you wailed and tore at your clothes and hair then that kind of crying would get the same - that was my Lost Boys crying).

This summer I was reading one of the Georgia books at the beach and laughing like a loon - I had to stop because other people were looking at me like I was one of the "elderly mad". If you female Hatracker don't know this books the first is called Angus, Thongs, and Full Frontal Snogging. They are British and vair - vair funny.
:0

Posts: 874 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to tear up a bit over fiction where characters show courage and wisdom (and esp. when that is acknowledged by others).

Parts of Pratchett's _A Hat Full of Sky_ put a lump in my throat. So have parts of A Song of Ice and Fire (Jon Snow especially seems to get to me).

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second Treason with The Dark Tower - although I came close with Sith.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
I think one of the stories in Folk of the Fringe really got to me. The one about the little boy in the closet?

You are not alone there...that story made me cry for a solid 30 minutes. Part of it was the fact that at the time my little brother and sister where the same age as the two that got put in the closet, and when I thought of them...I couldn't help but cry quite unlike I had ever had before.
Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

- posted      Profile for Goo Boy   Email Goo Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Terry Goodkind's books make me cry.

But I think that's not what you mean . . .

Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. Beaches. Amazing that no matter how many times I've seen that movie, I still burst into tears at the end. As a matter of fact, even hearing the song, "The Wind Beneath My Wings" chokes me up.

Speaking of songs that invoke emotion...I did a little bit of searching, then downloading after watching the last episode of Six Feet Under and that last song is called "Breathe" by Sia. Just in case some of you wanted to know.

EDIT: Correct me someone: invoke or evoke?

[ August 27, 2005, 01:17 AM: Message edited by: Valentine014 ]

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched the last BSG. That scene made me cry too. That show is awesome. [Smile]

[ August 27, 2005, 12:54 AM: Message edited by: Amanecer ]

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Goo Boy:
Terry Goodkind's books make me cry.

But I think that's not what you mean . . .

LOL...I hear you, man...
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Val, since you asked, I think it's evoke in that context...
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I cry all the time at movies - it's why I often go alone. I'm not exactly what one might call an emotional person in the light of day, so when I do let loose, it's fairly... different.

The short list of the visual media kind:

The end of The Last Samurai
Return of the King (This actually goes beyond crying; it's more like all-out bawling)
Big Fish
Amadeus
Finding Neverland
The Pianist (Also all-out bawling - when he sits down and plays in that house... [Cry] )
And secretly, so secretly, BSG. And I've been known to tear up at various Treks (of all generations)

And as far as literary fiction...

A Song of Fire and Ice. All the fracking time.
Ender's Game (It's odd, but it's always a different part)
The Green Mile (Oh, was that a bad day)
Silver on the Tree (the last in The Dark is Rising series)
And I think I remember crying at Little Women...

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
Lost Boys, Honolulu Airport, 1995 (the ONLY time)
Oh, and "The Boy With No Shoes", William Horwood, but it's not fiction, it's autobigraphical

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hmm216
Member # 8403

- posted      Profile for Hmm216   Email Hmm216         Edit/Delete Post 
Songs,

I dont know who sings it but it is a beautiful song..."Dance with my Father again." I was driving to school one day and cried like a baby when I heard it!

Posts: 218 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

Okay, I'm deeply embarrassed to admit this.

I hate this song. It's manipulative and smarmy and cheesy.

But sometimes even manipulative things can push the right buttons.

[Embarrassed]

Okay, here goes:

I can't. Never mind.

Oh what the heck: "Butterfly Kisses"

Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Ic, me too! And the song Hmm216 mentioned too.

Heck, if we're going to list songs that make us cry, I'm going to be here a while . . . and didn't we already have a thread like that?

In other news, the movie was better. [Razz]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Butterfly Kisses always makes me cry, too. But just out of shame and sadness. I loathe that song more than any other.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dean:
I'm a big cryer, but after watching Grave of the Fireflies a couple of times to show it to friends, I now cry the moment it starts, so I can't show it to people anymore.

I have not actually seen Grave of the Fireflies. But when I was living in the dorms some friends watched it and I happened to be out in the hall when it got over. Kip's dorm room opens and out shuffle three fun-and-games college guys looking like somebody just shot their entire families. They weren't actually crying, but looked so emotionally dead and depressed. None of them would talk about it at all until the next day. That was when I decided I didn't need to see that movie.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

quote:
I loathe that song more than any other.
Me too, Theaca. [Embarrassed] [Frown]
rivka
Member # 4859

Uh . . . I kinda like it . . . *flees*
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

Yeah, but you like Titanic as well, so it's not like we take you seriously. [Wink]
rivka
Member # 4859

*sputters*

Oh, who am I kidding? It's true!

[Cry]

screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
Film: "Testament", maybe it was being a parent. Nothing else is even close.

Television: TNG "The Inner Light" it just gets to me on a species level or something.

Novel: There are lot of them that bring a tear to the eye including, the last chapters of "The Return of the King."

Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.