FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm deficient!

Author Topic: I'm deficient!
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
A guy called today to cancel his services.

I asked him why he wanted to cancel services, and in response he asked me how old I was.

"20, sir."

"Oh you young generation just annoy me, you "gen-x'ers or whatever you call your breed."

Yes. He said breed.

"Oh... ok... well... I'm sorry for that. But that doesn't exactly explain why you want to cancel your services."

"Well, if I told you it would be my life story, I'm building a life line here, Nathan."

Pause.

"Ok, so... you want to cancel your services because of Gen-X'ers that annoy you?"

"How many languages do you speak?"

"..... Excuse me?"

"How many languages do you speak."

"Does binary count?"

"No seriously, how many actual languages?"

"Last I checked I spoke one, sir."

"So you are unilingual?"

"Yes."

"Ah ok, you are deficient."

"Oh ok, I'm sorry about that."

"You should be, you are deficient."

"Really?"

"Yes."

"Ok, I'm glad to hear that I finally know why I am deficient. It's a relief to know that it's only because I speak one language."

"Well you have a job, so I'll give you credit there."

"Yes well, I do what I can. Ok, I have disconnected your cable for you, however, you need to return your equipment to this service center."

"Yeah, that means I have to go to <that part of town> that I really hate going to."

"Thats right."

"I also have a phone number I need disconnected."

"Ok, for the phone, I do have to get you to our phone area. There are some extra steps you need to do for that one."

"Oh, so you are handing me off? You're what you gen x'ers call a conduit, eh?"

"Something like that. Just stay on the line please."

I had to share this one. It made me giggle.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

Was he drunk or just weird?

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
He was 57 and just passed into curmudgeonhood.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I like that you asked if binary counted. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I probably would have said something smart-alec like, "I know enough to cuss you out in 8."
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you should've made up several languages right there on the spot and said they were all ancient dead languages that nobody speaks anymore, but that they're part of the training you get to be a cable call center staff person, just in case.

thanks for sharing this. I'm taking notes for my incipient curmudgeonhood.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's what I'd have said (or at least what I'd have wished I said starting 5 seconds after the opportunity passed)

"So you are unilingual?"

"No, I'm monolingual. I only speak English, but at least I speak it properly."

By the way, hilarious call. I live for idiot customers.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Speed, I was thinking something along those lines myself...

Great minds think alike...and we do as well. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Why, that Huh choo-shung tza-jiao duh tzang-huo!
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
If he had asked me how old I am, I would said "That's none of your business" because it is none of his business. He's a customer, not a parent.

I would have to tell him that I speak several dead languages, too. Then I would have said several non-sensical syllables.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I offered to teach him ancient greek.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha!

I liked where you asked about binary, too. [Smile]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh...TS...that was ::sniff sniff:: so beautiful!

No, really, that made my day.

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] Nate, this reminds me of the guy who called you "mormon liberal trash" while you were working for AOL. Such interesting things seem to happen to you at work.

btw, kudos on starring fencing! Rock on!

Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
What a nut job. Let mack teach you greek, or enough to insult curmudgeons.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
O_o
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I cancelled my cable service, too, when I found out that there were 20 year olds working there.

Rotten Gen-X-ers! With their clothes, and their hair and that noise that they call music.

I refuse to do business with any company that hires them.

Hmph!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to learn Ancient Greek.

And geez, I must be in the wrong field. I should go work at the cable company. We never get age specific jerks at the restaurant I work at, they are equal opportunity jerks.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
Ochen' zhdu Rozhdestvom!
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
gesundheit!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.