FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Church: God Punishing GIs Over Gays (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Church: God Punishing GIs Over Gays
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

So, what do we do when there's untruth? I for one, know God doesn't punish countries with gays in it.

*blink* How do you know this? I'm not saying you're wrong, mind you, but how do you know?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't say he should be forced. I said he needed it. It's his choice as to weather he gets it or not. (which means he won't.)
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Pixiest,

saying that "God hates fags" is political speech... going to a funeral and screaming directly at the family that God is punishing their child for his/her immoral behavior is harassment, plain and simple. I would think that a family's right to grieve privately, without harassment, supercedes the Phelps family's right to political speech in that time, place, and manner... and what I'm seeing in the other thread supports this, I think.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
It's no different than anti-abortion protesters outside a planned parenthood clinic. And that's been found to be covered by the first amendment.

You could probably pick them up on disturbing the peace though. I'm sure they get pretty noisy.

(or the people who own the graveyard could keep them off the property.)

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
they are often limited to being a certain distance away, though, and, rightly, arrested when they violate those limits.

edit: I feel obliged to add that I was an anti-abortion activist for several years and I never once witnessed anything like the lathered screaming I constantly hear portrayed. Not saying it doesn't happen, saying that there is plenty of pro-life voice without that type and that, honestly, I'd have no problem with any organization known to be as harassing and abusive as Phelps' family facing stricter limits of time and place in their protests.

[ August 30, 2005, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: Jim-Me ]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CORPSE-A-TRON
Member # 8560

- posted      Profile for CORPSE-A-TRON           Edit/Delete Post 
Err... sorry Tom, bad wording.
Posts: 16 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
I think they probably were kept out of the cemetary, but they were probably protesting just outside.

I don't agree with what they did, but if we made laws based on what the majority thought was "tastefull" alot of things would be illegal that currently are, for better and worse.

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
The really weird thing about this, is saying that soldiers die because their counrty tolerates gays.

As far as I know, the soldiers themselves were not gay, just dead. I mean, protesting at a gay man's funeral is crude and horrible, proof of complete moral bankruptcy. This is THAT, with a side of crazy.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.