FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Million Dollar Question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Million Dollar Question
Hmm216
Member # 8403

- posted      Profile for Hmm216   Email Hmm216         Edit/Delete Post 
I work at Best Buy as a sales rep for Lexmark printer and today me and the other printer reps decided to do a survey. We asked the Best buy associates and customers:

"If you found a million dollars in an unmarked bag in the middle of a parking lot would you keep it or turn it in?"

Out of every 3 people we asked 2 said they would keep it...

What would you do??

Posts: 218 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Turn it in.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Turn it in.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Turn it in.

It's a much better question if it's less money.

Like a hundred bucks. If it's one big duffel bag of money, it makes much more sense to turn it in. If it's a single bill, I bet a lot more people keep it. It's hard to explain where you got a duffel full of cash from though.

Even though the principle's the same.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd use the money to buy a copy of A Simple Plan.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, JT. That much money? Heck yeah, I'd turn it in. I might even turn in $100. Less than that, though...eh.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hmm216
Member # 8403

I would think it would make more sense to turn it in...but most people we asked sait they would keep it. Some said they would look around and make sure no one was looking before taking it.
Posts: 218 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hmm216
Member # 8403

Im sorry, sait=said.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
If you find a big bag full of money in a parking lot, that sounds like either drug money or (probably marked or inventoried) ransom money or maybe counterfeit money to me. In any case, you don't want to get caught with it, moral question aside.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is with a single bill, you have almost no chance of finding its rightful owner. I've seen people drop money and told them about it when I could have easily have kept it. I did that last night when I was out. I've also found a twenty on the ground in a deserted parking garage in the middle of the night, and I kept that one because I had no idea whose it was, and knew they wouldn't have any idea where they'd dropped.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

A serious question: Do you have any legal obligation to turn it in? Are you breaking the law to keep found money?

Sure, a million dollars in a duffel bag seems likely to be there because of something criminal: a major drug deal or a bank robbery. The police may want it for evidence. But if money is sitting in a public place without anyone nearby to claim it as their own, is there actually some law you'd be breaking by taking it?

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yes, there actually is; you're supposed to turn it into the police. They notify you if it hasn't been claimed by a certain time, and if it's not of historical value or anything (like gold coins from the conquistadors, in which case it belongs to the state), they give it to you. (You know, unless it's "hot" or counterfeit, like I suggested before.)
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't want that much money, turn it in.

Besides, someone is bound to notice it's missing, someone doesn't just lose a million bucks. It'd be better if that person got what belonged to them.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I wouldn't want that much money
Really? Assuming you obtained it legally and ethically, what's the problem. If nothing else, you could give it all away and have a blast doing it.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
"They notify you if it hasn't been claimed by a certain time"

But how do they know if it's claimed by the right person? There are probably people who periodically call in and say they lost $100 or so...

Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I think you have to prove that you used to have it and you don't any more. And I think it's money over a certain amount; I don't think they care if you find $20.
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

KQ's answer is pretty much what you always hear on this hypothetical question. You're "supposed to" turn it in. Allow me to clarify what I was asking: WHAT law are you breaking? WHAT crime would you be charged with? If there's a law which says you have to turn in found money to its rightful owner or to the police there must be some cutoff point specified in the law, right? I doubt it'd be illegal to pick up a quarter on the sidewalk, so where is it the line legally drawn?

It's not that I doubt the accuracy of what KQ said about police procedure, or what others have said about ethical, moral, or personal safety reasons to turn it in. I'm just wondering what the legal basis for this is, what the law actually says on the subject. Is Dagonee around?

My own thoughts: IF it's counterfeit and you spend it: you're passing counterfeit bills, which I think is illegal even if you didn't print them. IF its evidence for some other crime, you could be breaking the law for Obstruction of Justice. But beyond that, what is the actual crime of not reporting found money?

And to reiterate: I'm not argueing with anything anyone has said. I'm curious about the legal stance behind it.

--Enigmatic

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I think that most states do have specific laws, but I don't know, specifically, what they are. You could probably look it up by going to your state's penal code website.
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

- posted      Profile for Goo Boy   Email Goo Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
What El JT said. I don't think the principle is the same between a fifty and a bag of money. I have seen people drop everything from a dollar to fifty dollars and returned it to them. I saw a fifty on the sidewalk once and simply kept it. I didn't figure there was a way to find its rightful owner. If I saw a large sum, I would figure that if it were not a reloic of a crime, its rightful owner should be findable--and if not I believe the cops would let me have it back--so I would turn it it.

-o-

Engmatic: A few years ago an armored truck overturned in Miami and "leaked" cash all over a ghetto. The police (through the news) informed people that it was illegal to keep any money they found and that they had to return it. Over the next week or two, a surprising amount was returned.

Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

- posted      Profile for Goo Boy   Email Goo Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
We already know Foust's answer. [Wink]
Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

My search-fu was not yet strong enought find any relevant information on the MN laws site. I may try again later when I have more time.

Meanwhile, I found an interesting link that shows us what a million dollars in cash would be like. Pretty cool.

--Enigmatic

Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, but dollar is totally without value. It's an old and depressed monay. Can you ask the question with euro ?

Hey ! I joke. [Wink]

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
On the way to taking it to the police station, I would probably take out 1/3 of the money so I satisfy both my want for the money and my fear of getting caught with all of it! [Smile]
Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
That much money in a bag would probably be marked and sequential bills. I'd be far too concerned about the likelihood of it being the result of a bank robbery or a ransom situation or something like that and turn it in. I wouldn't even want to touch it to see if they were in fact sequential. What, leave my fingerprints all over it? No way man! Possession of stolen goods is also a crime, and I'd rather not do the time, thankyouverymuch... LOL
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Million Dollar Question

"If you found a million dollars in an unmarked bag in the middle of a parking lot would you keep it or turn it in?"

I would call the police and stay in the parking lot with the money until they arrived. Then I would turn it over to them. Of course, unless I sat in the parking lot counting it all, I wouldn't know that it was a million dollars. But I would know that it was a lot of dollars.

Did I get the answer right? Do I win the prize?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
WHAT law are you breaking? WHAT crime would you be charged with?
Please note that simply finding something unattended does not make it your property.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
You mean "Finders, keepers" isn't encoded into law somehow? [Big Grin]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Nor, I believe is "dibs."
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I would say squatters rights are very close to "dibs"
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I would search for cameras all around, and upon failure to find any bugging I would take myself a 15% share before giving the rest as a donation to the Australian cricket team.

I'd love to do that, actually, but I think I'd turn in it immediately 'cause I'm scared of the authorities.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
"The finder of lost property holds it against all the world except the original owner."

It's an old maxim of English common law, and it's never really that simple, but that's the starting point for analyis.

There's also a difference between lost, abandoned, and misplaced property.

Many states have lost property statutes - "turn it in, no one claims it, you get it" or something similar.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone who loses or leaves a million bucks in the middle of the parking lot doesn't deserve a million dollars, says the snarky part of me. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

People, people! I'm surprised at you! That million dollars is somebody's ransom money. The kidnapped victim's family didn't call the police, because the kidnappers told them not to OR ELSE. You may not see anyone else in the parking lot, but, believe you me, the kidnappers were watching the drop and now they are watching hapless old you stumble across their ransom money. You think you're getting away with it? HA! You just signed your own death warrant, mister! Do not get involved in this nutty series of events. Let someone else be the star of this particular action movie.
Crotalus
Member # 7339

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd buy me a Trans-Am. Heck, I might even buy two.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd turn it in, it might be dirty money.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd turn in the whole $500,000...
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Lol, Human. [ROFL]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Id' turn it all in, for several reasons. If the money is clean, I couldn't in good conscience keep someone elses' money. If the money is dirty, I couldn't keep it either because I wouldn't want to benefit from someone elses' criminal activity.

Either way, I'd be worried about whose money it was and who might come looking for it. Plus, there are my personal moral and religious beliefs about stealing (and keeping someone elses' money when I should have turned it in equates to stealing in my mind) to consider. I'd have no joy of the money, so best to turn it in.

Besides, if no one ever comes to claim it then I might get at least a portion of it which I could spend with a clean conscience that I had done all I should and all that was expected of me.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I would probably stop, and take a good look around.

Then, as long as nobody could tell the bag was full of money from the outside, I would hold it up and yell "Has anyone misplaced this bag!". I would look around for anyone who might have dropped it, or who might be keeping an eye on it. I would continue to guard the bag for at least ten minutes to a half hour. If anyone came back for it (and knew what was inside), I would give it to them. Hoping perhaps for a reward, but not expecting one.

If after a while nobody claims it, I would walk away with the bag, still asking around for those who might have left the bag. I do this until I am a considerable distance away from where I found the bag.

This is to make it obvious to anyone looking for the bag that I was not attempting to steal it. If the party responsible for it saw me, I would want it quite clear my intention was to return it. But if I got far enough away that I felt nobody was going to ask me for it, I would bring it home. Perhaps then I would buy one of those pens that check for counterfeit money and try it out. If it checks out, I would go down to the bank with about a hundred dollars worth, and try and deposit it (leaving the bag at home hidden). If they don't see anything fishy with it, I put the rest of the money in a safe deposit box for a while, and I would leave it there until I decide what to do then.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously, I would have my attorney coordinate the return of the money. It just doesn't seem sensible to me to drop a million dollars in cash, by myself, at the front desk of the local police station.

Also, this would force a paper-trail leading back to me in the event that it is never claimed. Many jurisdictions (I think) have policies where the property reverts back to the finder if it's unclaimed after a period of time.

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting thing. Last week I went to the coffee place to buy a bag of whole bean coffee. It was fairly busy, as coffee places are sometimes esp when the eather is nice.

I parked a little ways up the strip mall, and walked up the sidewalk. I remember exchanging nods with a waiter from a pizza place taking a smoke break. When I came out, the waiter was still smoking, and there was a dollar bill laying in my path, pretty near my car.

I didn't know what to do with it. I picked it up and unfolded it. That was when I realized it had fallen out of my car. It had the word "Luck" written on it. I had gotten it in some change earlier that week.

I knew it was mine, but I had the urge to give it to the waiter. I puzzled over the odd feeling just long enough that he was gone when I looked up.

I still have it. It was mine. But, for some reason, I had the urge to give it away when I found it lying beside my vehicle instead of in it. [Dont Know]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Maybe he needed it more than you. Maybe you knew that. [Smile]
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. I think so, too. I just didn't want to walk up to some guy I don't know and give him money, you know? So I hesitated for a second, and he was gone.

I'm sure I'll have another chance to pass it along soon. [Smile]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I was in Jack in the Box having a late lunch the other day after going to the park with Emsie (this was before our kitchen was operational, so I stopped there to get a salad. Bad choice, btw, don't get a salad at Jack in the Box!) A woman who was obviously homeless came in with an old cup and got some soda at the machine (which they ignore if the person doing it isn't bothering anyone.) Emma, who doesn't know social taboos yet, was smiling and waving and babbling at her. She was shyly smiling back at Emma. I noticed, too, that she looked very hungry. I wondered if she was someone's mother, or big sister, and had loved a little girl that age. So I picked up Emma and went over to her. She looked scared, like I was going to tell her to leave (it was a very hot day, I'm sure she needed to get out of the sun!) I asked if she would like a hamburger or a chicken sandwich. She said, "Yes, please." I asked which one, and she said, "Chicken sandwich." So I went and got her a chicken sandwich from the value menu. I figured she needed that $1 a lot more than I did.

I felt good about it. [Smile]

Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
There are many times that we're guilty of indifference towards others... I'm glad this wasn't one of them. [Smile] I hope that woman remembered how it is for someone to care for you, even a little bit.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

KQ, what a mitzvah! You did good.
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I once gave a woman 20 shekels at the Jerusalem central bus station, to help her buy her train ticket home to Be'er Sheva. I know in Israel it's hard to tell when people are actually hard up and when they're just out to get money, but I figured I can spare 20 nis!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
I used to buy extra groceries just to have something to give to the homeless person between the store and my apartment.

The other day, I forgot to grab change from my bowl for the bus, and a very nice woman at the bus stop paid my fare so I wouldn't have to overpay with a $20 (they don't give change). Someone asked me for a dollar the next day, and I was too busy rushing for the bus to give them one. I still feel bad about that -- but in this city, I figure I'll have another chance to pay it forward soon enough.

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I had two experiences like that...

I found a wallet while working, with no one around at all to see me, and it had over 1200 in cash and about 4500 in UNSIGNED travelers checks in it....

I turned it in.

I was working at the Hofbrauhaus and a waiter and I found a white envelope with 3000 in small bills under a table...once again with no one but us anywhere around us.

We turned it in.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

There were some very unhappy strippers that day, I bet. [Frown]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.