FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Saved enough money. Now what?

Author Topic: Saved enough money. Now what?
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
My buddy bought a new boat last year, and we thought it would be fun to take our boats to Flaming Gorge Reservoir and spend a few nights with our families at the boat-in campground.

After several months of planning, my buddy told me that he had decided to stay at a regular campground instead of the boat-in camp. Last weekend at "The Gorge" I found out why. My wife and I joined my buddy and his family at their camp for dinner one evening, and there was a brand new pickup truck and a new 5th-wheel trailer.

The combined length of my buddy's truck, 5th-wheel, and 25-foot boat is 73 feet!

I drive a rusty old '87 GMC pickup, towing a beat-up old '74 tri-hull boat. I sleep in a tent when I go camping.

I've been saving for years, thinking that I'd get a big boat and trailer someday, but now that I've seen my buddy's setup I realize that my values have changed. I don't want a bigger house or a second house either. All that stuff ends up owning you.

So what do with your money when you finally have "enough."

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
If there's nothing that you want right now, you can always invest! How's your retirement account look?
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So what do with your money when you finally have "enough."
Share with those of us who don't have enough?
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
I need money. Want to invest money in the Jaiden fund? It's for her school books. And tuition. I promise it won't be used on any luxuries like food or housing [Smile]
Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Give to others who don't have enough.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Back off vultures. [Razz]

Do you take a lot of vacations?

How about investing in a small business?

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Pay off debts? (That's what I'd be doing first.)

Or go on a trip to someplace exciting - like New Zealand, or Croatia, or Madagascar. (This would be my second choice, if my debts were paid.)

Or if you really don't know what to do with it - donate it to charity. [Smile] (I'm not selfless enough to make this my first choice. At least, not for all of it.)

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
10% goes to charity. The rest you save, spend, invest.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

The problem with sharing is that apparently none of the recipients are as a smart with your money as you are. Fortunately there are a few charities that utilize your money intelligently enough that you get a pretty good feeling from giving.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
More seriously, if I didn't have education and bills to pay for I'd buy a few luxury items. Such as a car. After that I'd probably be saving up for a house. Once I owned a house (with no morgage), I'd put money away for future children's education, etc.
And I'd travel. Lots of travelling [Smile]

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

If you really want to check, Charity Navigator is a site that has financial breakdown info on several thousand nonprofits so you can tell how effective they are.

Guidestar is an even bigger site - I think they have info on more than a million nonprofits in just the US. You have to register to use that one, but it's free and they don't pester you. There's also a UK version in the works.

Just FYI if you're interested. [Smile]

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
You should start a good retirement account, then give some to charity. Since you don't want the large items you mentioned, you might want to get a smaller item, something you have really wanted, not something that you think would portray a certain "image" about yourself.

My suggestion is a buying binge at a bookstore. [Smile] I would do that!

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

I like the small item idea: something that doesn't rust away or get trashed by the elements.

My wife loves to travel, but I do it for a living. After accumulating over 700,000 lifetime frequent flier miles all I want to do is stay home.

I also like the idea of helping someone else through school. I know I surely could have used some help back in my school days.

Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

Wow...that's a LOT of flier miles! (Can you share those? [Wink] ) So even if you were traveling just for fun, experiencing new places and cultures on your own terms with no deadlines or anything, you still wouldn't want to? I'm a travel addict, so that makes me sad. [Frown]

But the college thing sounds like a awesome idea - maybe you could set up some sort of scholarship essay contest with a local business or organization, like a matching funds thing? No idea on what legal stuff might need to be done with something like that, though. Or if you happen to know a really worthy but poor kid, that'd be really cool to put him/her through a year or so of school.

Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

- posted      Profile for Wonder Dog           Edit/Delete Post 
Yah, starting a scholarship sounds like a great idea! And set it up so that you have to complete some wierd, zany requirements to apply - like the "Victims of Amphibian Abuse Scholarship", or "Gigantic Nose-Hair'd Scholars Fund".

(And if you open it to Canadian wanna-be animators, I could even apply!)

:0)

Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, don't bother with the big boy toys. Invest, invest, invest.

Part of our investing is paying down our principal as fast as we can so we can own our duplex free and clear in 15 years instead of 30. We figure that has the potential for a pretty good return, especially as rents go up.

We don't have any consumer debt, we're not making car payments, school loans are paid off... (knock on wood) We figure the best thing to do with what we have is save it and earn as much interest as possible.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm, I've already started investing a huge part of my bonuses. I invest regularly into my Roth IRA and Mutual Funds. So* I guess that leaves me with.....saving it up to set a decent monetary foundation for a family, house, etc.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Hope I'm not too direct about this, as I don't know you very well... Do you have children? Or do you plan on having?
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Skillery, think of it this way...if you invest it wisely, either in property (as in a house to rent out, or property that will go up in value) you add a lot of enjoyment to your retirement.

My dad just retired last Friday, and while my family never had the biggest or the best of anything, we always had enough to have fun. They bought a little log cabin when all their friends were buying larger vacation homes, and they always had nice, serviceable cars while their friends bought SUV's and 4-wheelers and snowmobiles and BMW's.

Now my dad is retired while some of their friends are still working to pay off all their toys and perks. He invested his money wisely, and it payed off fairly well, well enough that neither he or my mom have to work another day, unless they want to.

Not to say that there is anything WRONG with all those toys and perks...our family friends always shared those with us, as we shared ours with them, that was part and parcel of being friends. My parents have some of the best friends a person could have.....

But my dad was happy just to have things that worked, and to be able to share experiences with his family.

We had a boat...an old wooden Thompson he bought for $300, motor and trailer included. When he upgraded years later, he bought a 16' Mirrocraft..and reused the motor he had bought for the Thompson years before. We had a truck....a Ford F150, no frills, just a radio. We have a cottage....and old log cabin on a lake.

It isn't about having the best, it is about having enough to enjoy it, and making sure that you have enough to continue enjoying life once you retire.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

Corwin,

Can't have kids. Too old to adopt. Heard too many horror stories about foster kids and the juvenile justice system.

Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for answering, skillery. Maybe you could by a ticket to outer space? Or is that a lil' bit out of range? [Big Grin]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Find a good charity. I like www.donorschoose.com.
2. Pay off all debts.
3. Invest. You do NOT have enough saved for retirement.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
You can donate frequent flier miles to Make-a-Wish. It helps them fly families for the kids wishes. If I had extra $$ (after debts paid and retirement savings) I would donate money to Make-a-Wish and to various families raising money for organ transplants. Obviously a segment of the population dear to my heart (no pun intended).
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe you could by a ticket to outer space?
I like that idea! Just make sure you get the round trip. [Smile]
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
A. You adopt another child into your family (they are money vacuums)

B. You sponsor a Missionary.

C. You dontate a large chunk to the CStroman Sanity Fund.

D. You end up spending it on gas.

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I would go learn something.

Take martial arts lessons. Or piano lessons. Or go learn to speak a different language.

Or take a bunch of college classes [Smile] .

They all take money, enrich your life, and they aren't material possesions.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.