FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Free Store is now open; come join us in giving and recieving! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Free Store is now open; come join us in giving and recieving!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried Freecycle, and I don't like it. Maybe I just had a bad group, but it annoyed me. And I prefer giving things to people I know, anyway.

We have a lot of stuff to get rid of, and I'd prefer to offer it to Jatraqueros first before I donate it or anything.

For instance, baby clothes and blankets we have to excess, a DSL modem that works fine but we aren't using because we have cable, and everything in-between.

If anyone is interested, we could set up a Yahoo group or something to list what we have available. Large items would be on a "you come and get it" basis, smaller on a "you pay shipping" (or if you really need it and I have more spare money than you, I pay shipping) basis.

But if no one is interested, I guess I'll just get the Disabled Veterans to come pick it all up.

[ August 30, 2005, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
You could probably sell that DSL modem on ebay
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I could.

But it's nicer to help people out, isn't it?

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. I'd love to do this. I'll make a list of stuff today.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Okay, I'll start a Yahoo Group where we can list stuff and e-mail each other. [Big Grin]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You can now join the Free Store here. [Big Grin]
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Free Store de los Jatraqueros
[ROFL]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[Big Grin]

I thought Spanglish was appropriate.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed. And I'm all signed up and everything!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

And so is ludosti. [Smile]
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Tienda de cosas gratis de los Jatraqueros.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

But since "Jatraqueros" isn't real Spanish, Spanglish is funnier. [Big Grin]
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Um, if I use my "stinkysaltyscotchy" yahoo ID, will that prevent people from taking my stuff?

It was kind of a premenstrual joke. My friends and I tend to crave ripe cheeses, olives, single malt, sardines, etc.

(I shouldn't have gone that deep into it, should I?)

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I don't think anyone will mind. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, but that reminds me: if I won't know who you are by your yahoo id, please give me a sn I'll recognize when you sign up. [Smile]
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Cool. I gave you a heads-up.

What a delight. I know I have a bunch of butter-smooth handcarved maple furniture that's here for the taking. You would need to make or buy cushions for it, though. It was from an antique store, and we loved it, but we don't have room for it. (couch, 2 or 3 chairs, end table, etc.)

I'll get photos to kq later today. And I'll start typing out all the book titles.

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
wait a minute, how can it be called a store if everything is for free?
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, I've got to inventory what I've got, too! I know I have a ton of things I will give to a good home, but I don't want to go to complete strangers. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

AofD, didn't you ever read about free stores? It's a hippy thing.
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

hippy? I never read about such things, I was born in the late 80's. [Razz]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I was born in '83. So? [Razz]
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the store was s'poseta be Hatrack-free.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Nah, just free to Hatrack. [Razz]
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

hippy sounded like a 70's thing.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Here you go, Alt: a 1967 newspaper article about a free store.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

empty tomb ministeries in Champaign-Urbana, IL (where Tom, Christy and I used to live) also ran a free store. I don't know if they still have that site -- they may just do volunteer dropoffs now.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

From the empty tomb website:
quote:
A Quote To Ponder:

"The load, or weight, or burden of my neighbor's glory should be laid daily on my back, a load so heavy that only humility can carry it, and the backs of the proud will be broken. It is a serious thing to live in a society of possible gods and goddesses, to remember that the dullest and most uninteresting person you talk to may one day be a creature which, if you saw it now, you would be strongly tempted to worship. or else a horror and corruption such as you now meet, if at all, in a nightmare. All day long we are, in some degree, helping each other to one or the other of these destinations. It is in light of these overwhelming possibilities, it is with the awe and the circumspection proper to them, that we should conduct all our dealings with one another, all friendships, all loves, all play, all politics. There are no ordinary people..."

ā€” C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory and Other Addresses (Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans Publishers, 1966), pp. 14-15.

My kind of Christianity. *smile
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Signing up- coolness!
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
What a great quote!! It reminds me of a sort of epiphany I had on day towards the end of my 4 years of college. As I was walking across campus (about a mile walk), I suddenly really looked at the people I was walking past. I saw them all as my brother or sister. I don't quite know how to put it into words, and I've not had the same experience since, but it was a very powerful experience. I was changed in those few moments and I hope never to forget that feeling. It was a glorious peek at the human family.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
I signed up too! Will do inventory soon...

(kq, just heads up, the sn is J3rownEyedGirl)

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Awesome, ludosti. [Smile]
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool ludosti. I had a moment like that, years ago. Felt like everyone around me was me, but from a slightly different perspective, with just the thinnest of membranes dividing those different perspectives.

I've signed up, by the way, but I'll have to complete the process from home since I can't get to my sakeriver email from work.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
What a great thing Noeman! I like that a lot - seeing myself reflected in different people - what I would be had I experienced their life.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Cool, we have our first offer! And I've approved all you who signed up while I was napping; I forgot to log into Yahoo when I got back on the computer. [Blushing]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

BTW, I wanted to remind everyone that you can join even if you think you have little or nothing to give away, but are in need and would like to recieve. You'd be making someone's giving possible. [Smile]
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I just offered something, too.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, we're having fun offering stuff. I hope someone wants it!

I'm going to go sort baby clothes now.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

It may be a good idea to post a reply to our own message when we've succesfully gotten someone to take it. [Smile]

Or if everyone prefers, you could e-mail me (unless I'm the involved party) and I will delete the item that was listed. What do you guys think?

Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I think you should change it so that replies to messages go directly to the poster and not to the whole group. [Smile]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

That might be good. I think I will do that.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Okay, I did that, but now I'm not sure if it's working or not.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone have clock parts?
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

It is. [Big Grin]
Boon
unregistered

This is fun! I think someone wants my dehydrator!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, good, glad it's working.

And I'm glad I found those raincoats a good home!

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

SO cool! I love this, it's fun. [Big Grin]
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to be the proud recipient of a food dehydrator! I've always wanted one of those, but I could never quite justify spending the money.

Ketchupqueen, I'm not seeing all of the messages on the site--it says that it's displaying all of them, but I'm not seeing my initial response to Boon, which was done on the message board itself (as opposed to subsequent messages, which were sent between our private email accounts. Any idea why that is? Am I just missing something obvious?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, it's gone.

Replies do not show up on the site. If the dehydrator is going to you, I will delete it too (unless anyone objects to this method, in which case you can post a new message saying "food dehydrator has been taken". But that's so much more cumbersome!)

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I'll be having a garage sale this week, so I'll put all the good stuff that doesn't sell up for Hatracker perusal. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

I already deleted it, which may be why nothing is showing up about it. [Big Grin]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.