FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Question- C.J Cherryh

Author Topic: Question- C.J Cherryh
CORPSE-A-TRON
Member # 8560

- posted      Profile for CORPSE-A-TRON           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone here read C. J. Cherryh's work?
If so, what do you think about her work?
Also, what's your opinion about her short story "Visitor In Night"?
And, where the heck can I find her book "Chernevog"? I've been looking all over for it! [Grumble]

Posts: 16 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
C. J. Cherryh wrote Downbelow Station, right? Took me three attampts to get through it. It was okay.

Is this a school assignment? Your second and third questions sound like it. If it is, don't expect answers. If it isn't you should include your own opinins.

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
I've read a couple of her books.

Faded Sun Trilogy: I really liked this. The alien races were very well thought-out, in ways that accentuated the "human-ness" of the human characters. I like science fiction that points us toward an understanding of what's essential to the human condition (imagination and adaptiveness were highlighted in this book). I also liked the ethical dilemmas. It was rarely obvious that the good guys were doing the right thing.

Cyteen: This was not as good. The basic idea of re-creating a personality with nature and nurture was awesome, but the characters were unbearable. The main character was such a wound-up ball of insecurity. He never acted on his own, he only reacted to pressures from outside.

This is all the Cherryh I've read. The thing I like best is the nature of conflict in her writing: like Asimov, she often has her characters confront one another with plots and counter-plots. What I like least is the powerlessness of some of her characters.

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Lo! Chernevog
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my favorite fantasy series ever, ever, ever, was her 'Fortress" Series.

I also loved "The Faded Sun" trilogy. I started Morgaine, but did not love it.

But oh, Fortress!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I did, if I recall, Like Rusalka.
It's been a long time though.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked her Russian stuff, it was a real eye-opener to me, and she did her research.

I also loved the "Fortress" series, same as Liz. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Faded Sun, couldn't make it through the first book of Fortress, couldn't make it through the first book of Morgaine, and liked Chanur.

My reaction to the Atevi books was mixed. I read the first six, and couldn't put them down -- rushed off the bookstore for the next as soon as I finished one, and so on. In the end, though, I was disappointed. I'd read all that. . .and for what? Nothing ever seemed to be resolved, and in the end the aliens, for all Cherryh's protestations, seemed very, very human.

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

ambyr, how far did you make it in Fortress? Just curious. It was a bit of a slow start for me as well.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, heh, I don't even remember. Not more than a hundred pages in, I think.

If lots of people will swear to me that it picks up after that, I may hit up the library and give it another try.

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Yes, if you only made it that far, give it another go. It was about that far in that I was thinking, eh. Then, as my grandmother says, Things change.
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I read her, but it's been a long time. When I get to 'C' in my library reading, I'll let you know.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the Cyteen books. I heard she was going to write another Cyteen related book soon. The Russian series was amazing, but I had to read them out of order. The Fortress series started out well but I only read the first couple.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

It picks up QUITE a bit...it did start slow, but the series is a great read, IMO.

Keep in mind that the Morgaine books aren't really books, they were short stories (at least most of them) that were serialized. That explains why the ideas are great but the writing seems a bit choppy.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I read Hellburner. I didn't like it. I had to keep flipping back and forth to understand the made up acronyms - which comprised about 20% of all words in the book.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CORPSE-A-TRON
Member # 8560

Thanks for the input. Midnight blue, NO this isn't a school assignment! [Smile] I was short on time when I posted and couldn't think of a better way of phrasing the question properly.
My reasons for asking is because I just recently started reading her work. What got me interested was "Chernevog", well, the cover art was awesome and it caught my interest when I read more about it, but I was severely disappointed when I went to the bookstore and found it wasn't there. So, I just picked up "The Fading Sun" trilogy, loved it. Then read "The Morgaine Saga" excluding "Exile's Gate"-found it interesting. I'm now finishing the "Alternate Realities" book with the three short stories, "Port Eternity", "Voyager in Night" (sorry for the misspell in my post), and "Wave Without a Shore". I like them so far. "Voyager in Night" was more like, what the? Never came across a story so free with symbols. Interesting idea though. I have one more of her books that I've not read yet.
Mainly asking the questions because I HAVEN'T read most of her stuff and I'm interested to find out what others think.
Personally, I think she's good, so far. I love the delimas of the characters and the uniqueness of adaptation to each delima. I like authors that push the boundaries of imagination with a sense of taste. Just trying to broaden my horizons by reading new authors and search for inspiration.
One thing that did strike me as odd and I'm not sure I'm correct in this, but some of the ideas and concepts from her books seems to have been adapted by Robert Jordan in his "Wheel of Time" series-which, I must say... needs to end.
Anyway, thanks for the replies! [Smile]

Posts: 16 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Not even close...she has been writing far longer (and much better) than Jordan.
CORPSE-A-TRON
Member # 8560

Kwea,
Yeah, I know the books are older... what I was implying is that Robert Jordan may have... um... used some ideas from her. But I'm not sure of that.
I agree, she's far better than Robert Jordan. I don't read his stuff anymore at all... makes me hurl, actually. [Razz]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.