FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Tetris Theme...

Author Topic: Tetris Theme...
MKellar
Member # 8133

- posted      Profile for MKellar   Email MKellar         Edit/Delete Post 
This is completely random, which hopefully makes it all the more interesting. I'm sure we've all heard the Tetris theme song. Here it is:

http://www.midishack.net/gamemidi/Tetrisb.mid

The thing is, I was playing Tetris for NES the other day and could find this "theme song" nowhere in the game. There are other cool songs, sure, but not this one. I was wondering if anyone knew what version of the game this song appeared in because I don't want to play Tetris to anything else, and turning down the volume and playing that midi just feels too artificial.

Posts: 29 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Tetris. When my kid was trying to illustrate to me how hopelessly out of touch I am with what is cool, he listed (among other things) that I don't know the first thing about video games.

I mentioned that I really like Tetris.

This confirmed for him my hopeless out-of-touchness.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Woah, Aaron Walz' website? I thought I was the only one who has stumbled across it... awesome.

In case you just were looking for the song and found it, the website's admin, Aaron Walz, is a pretty good composer. I like his stuff.

Oh, and I love Tetris too...

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Tetris, it's a classic. There've been a lot of cool Tetris cames since the original. Tetrix, Tetris Advances, Tetrisphere was pretty cool too, my whole family got addicted to that one.

Any true gamer knows that the classics never die.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
So...I'm cool after all?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
I think this song comes from the gameboy version of Tetris.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a similar track on The Next Tetris (confirmed on PSX version; pretty sure it was in the PC version as well). It's not the exact song, and is missing the second part of the melody.

I also seem to recall it being in the first version of Tetris I played, way back on the PC Jr.

I have an .mp3 of this, which I LOVE. I got it from Bemani Style when I was looking for Stepmania (a DDR simulator) files. Unfortunately Bemani Style is down due to a hardware crash at the moment, so I can't go back to the source and see if they identified which game it's from; however, the step file says that the arranged version is by a "Dj Skribble", so maybe google that and see if you get any hits.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

According to this page, the song is an Old Russian folk dance called "Katiusha". You can probably search that site to find which Tetris game it's in, as the site's a repository of video game music.
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I don't even think of that one as the Tetris theme. I think of "Dance of the Sugarplum Fairies" as the Tetris theme.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
There was an old Mac variation called "Hextris" which used hexagons instead of squares. I say old Mac, because I'm talking about the Mac Classic up through the LC series. [Smile]
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I am now listening to my copy of the techno Tetris mix I downloaded years ago on repeat. Thanks a bunch.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

Anyone remember Welltris? I think that's what it was called. The bricks slid down the sides of a four-sided well.

Also, IIRC "The Next Tetris" on PC lets you choose your own music, so you put the .mid on nonstop looping. [Smile] And Tetrinet lets you assign a midi file, too.

Speaking of Tetrinet, does anyone here play it anymore? I seem to recall someone (rav?) was running a server for a while. Would be fun to play a few games.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by xnera:
Anyone remember Welltris? I think that's what it was called. The bricks slid down the sides of a four-sided well.

Yeah, although I never much got into it. Tetris was better.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I mentioned that I really like Tetris.

This confirmed for him my hopeless out-of-touchness.

I hope that's not a sign of being out of touch. I bought an original NES primarily for Tetris, even though I have Tetris for the Xbox.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So...I'm cool after all?
Haha, nope. [Taunt]

Well that depends, do you recognize the names of any of the other Tetris games mentioned?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ProverbialSunrise
Member # 7771

- posted      Profile for ProverbialSunrise   Email ProverbialSunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Tetris is an awesome game. I've got to level 19 on my gameboy. I play it on long car trips. And I'm 16 so I'm not completely out of touch with popular video games.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
This is definitely the Tetris theme from Gameboy. In fact when I saw this title thread, this is what I started whistling. Maybe it's because I never played any Tetris but the Gameboy one.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a gameboy back in '91 or so specifically to play Tetris while on a plane to England. However, I ended up sitting to a guy named Robert N'Dunga, a then-recent graduate of a seminary program in the US, who was making his way back to Kenya by way of England. Fascinating guy, and a great conversation. He'd have made a great Hatracker.

My girlfriend was fairly pleased that I ended up sitting next to him, as that meant that she got to use the gameboy the entire time.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled thread.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
This is my cellphone ring tone, and has been for close to 10 months. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I didn't see Welltris until I was totally addicted to BlockOut. BlockOut is a much better (and harder) game, where the bricks are 3 dimensional objects falling down into a well that you're looking down into. You can rotate the pieces along any of the three axes, so you have six different keys to use for turning the pieces.

And the keys that are hooked up to the rotation functions are all on the left side. It's amazing how fast a righthanded person can move their left fingers.

I haven't played it for years, but it's the best Tetris-like game I've ever played.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
I recently setup a tetrinet server again too.
If you are interested 6 people can play at a time, Get the client at tetrinet.org and connect to r4v3n.com

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
The "Tetris song" is called "The Volga Boatman."

It was made famous in the U.S. by Glenn Miller, who arranged a big band/jazz version.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MKellar
Member # 8133

- posted      Profile for MKellar   Email MKellar         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pfresh85:
This is definitely the Tetris theme from Gameboy. In fact when I saw this title thread, this is what I started whistling. Maybe it's because I never played any Tetris but the Gameboy one.

Right you are. Thanks!

I'd have to say Tetris is the greatest game of all time, and I play a lot of games. However, this one and Super Mario Bros. 3 are the only ones I've been playing for more than 10 years.

Posts: 29 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been playing one version of Civ or another since...1991, I think. Maybe 1992.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

This is the first Tetris I played. A DOS version on the IBM PC Jr. Probably around 1983-1985. [Smile]

edit: November, 1986 was its release date. So, just shy of NINETEEN YEARS of Tetris playing for me. [Eek!]

Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
BlockOut! :drools: Haven't played it long enough to become addicted, but it was cooler than Tetris. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh. I think I’m going on about 15 years of not being able to stand that game.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
The theme restarts in my head every time I see this thread. It's driving me insane rather quickly.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
afr: Was there a time you liked the game?
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember playing it for a while. At some point I got sick of it. It still creeps me out, like dry fingertips on a towel creepy. Something to do with the mental energy I'm expending on it and the sheer repetitiveness of the game. It's like I just can't bring myself to concentrate on it.

I also tend to not watch any given movie or read a book more than once in a five-year period, either.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This is the first Tetris I played. A DOS version on the IBM PC Jr. Probably around 1983-1985. [Smile]

edit: November, 1986 was its release date. So, just shy of NINETEEN YEARS of Tetris playing for me. [Eek!]

YES! That's the one I played for years and years! Wow, I haven't seen that opening screen in forever! [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
I bought a gameboy back in '91 or so specifically to play Tetris while on a plane to England.

My brother and I got a Gameboy with Tetris about the same time for a family trip to Florida. Took all of our savings to pay for it (much like any other video game system we had bought at that point). It was a good thing to have.

Around '94 or so, I got my own Gameboy through a game of Bingo at my elementary school. Well technically it was my brother's card, but he had left so I had been playing his card as well as mine. That Gameboy came with a copy of Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening. My brother had also bought a copy of that game several months before. So when we went on a family trip later on, we both had Gameboys going, playing Zelda. This of course bothered our parents because a) we were ignoring the "beautiful scenery" that we passed and b) because any time we stopped they had to wait while we saved our games. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.