FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Gimme A Book

Author Topic: Gimme A Book
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a special going on at the Literary Guild Book Club online...buy two books, get one for 99 cents.

I already have two picked out: Life of Pi, and The Eight by Katherine Neville, both recommendations i've gotten from various book recommendation threads here on Hatrack.

What i'd like is a third, that may or may not compliment those two.

I'm interested in science fiction, and especially right now philosophy. Fantasy's always a winner.

What have you got?

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm re-reading Jennifer Roberson's "Sword Dancer" series - but I'm not sure that'll be complimentary to your current interests - unless fantasy with philosophical/humorous debate re: the battle of the sexes - intrigues you.
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Their selection frankly strikes me as less than stuning -- they don't seem to have science fiction or philosophy at all, if I'm reading their catalogue correctly, and their fantasy list is overwhelmingly Robert Jordan.

So, err, which of their twenty-odd fantasy books -haven't- you read? That might help with recommendations.

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

ooh. *looks it up*
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

I dislike Robert Jordan strongly. I barely made it through Eye of what-his-face
Leonide
Member # 4157

They don't have anything by Jennifer Roberson [Frown] their selection is rather limited, but i've found a lot of stuff i did like ...and it's cheap
ambyr
Member # 7616

Why not join the Science Fiction Book Club instead? It's also cheap. . .and it has science fiction [Smile] .
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

True. i feel like i like having popular fiction available to me, though.

I chose Eragon. Good choice?

ambyr
Member # 7616

Anyway, as far as their fantasy selection goes, I've heard Across the Nightengale Floor is good, but never read it. Stranger in a Strange Land is a (science fiction, regardless of what the site things) classic, if you haven't read it, and ditto for The Princess Bride and The Hobbit (but not the science fiction bit).

The rest. . .ehh.

ambyr
Member # 7616

There are Eragon fans out there. I think some of them are even on this site.

Me, personally, I found it worse than about 80% of the stuff on fanfiction.net, with the added detraction that I had to pay for it.

Leonide
Member # 4157

ack. I've read Princess Bride and the Hobbit, and greg owns Stranger...maybe i should switch to Across the Nightengale...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.