FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm thinking about changing my real name (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I'm thinking about changing my real name
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
possibilities include, Al, Alan, Allan, Allen, or something starting with A, L, or E. Thoughts?
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Why?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why?
I had the exact same thought.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

I have no great love for the guy who I'm named after, he's dead now, and I was named after him for a not-so-wonderful reason.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Because he likes Ale?
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

There is now a new name up for consideration. Thanks, geoff.

Oh wait, never mind. [Wink]

steven
Member # 8099

Suggestions?
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, tell us why you want to change your name.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Elliot, Leon, Aaron.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Arlo. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

I thought about it years ago right after I found my birth parents and heard from my birthmom the story of my early life before adoption. She named me after her boyfriend who was not my father. He was a not-so-nice type, paranoid schizophrenic addict. He nearly killed me once.

Lately I find out that vedic astrology (laugh it up folks) sets certain ideal sounds for the beginning of your name. People in India often choose baby names based on this. The best sounds for my name are A, L, or E. Charles Michael is my current first two names. I'm thinking about just changing Charles.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I would suggest not changing your name.

But if it is already a given that you are changing it, I like the names Alvin and Elwin (both are the same name, actually).

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't change Charles, it's French for Karl and it means "manly".

Or better yet, change it to Karl (but not Carl [Wink] )

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Charles I of England was apparently a major league scumbag. Among the signers of his death warrant when he was finally defeated were Edward Whalley and Edmund Ludlow. So Edward might be nicely symbolic.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron Michael would sound nice.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But if it is already a given that you are changing it, I like the names Alvin and Elwin (both are the same name, actually).
No, they're different names that are etymologically related and mean the same thing. [Razz]
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you should find a name you like and live with it for a while. Refer to yourself by that name. Do that for a year.

Then, if it's still something you want to do, change it legally. A judge might let you change it with the reason you've given here, but I doubt it. If you have the added point that you've been living with your new name for quite a while, that most people refer to you by that new name now, and so forth, he/she might be more amenable to granting your request.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Uh - I don't think judges usually rule against this sort of thing, jeniwren. I mean, you pay the money, apply in court, it is stamped with approval, and that is pretty much it. I've never known a judge to say "why do you want to change your name"? (unless steven is a minor or something and needs permission).

Name changes are fairly common.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I like "Emerson" despite not really liking the only person I ever met with that name.

Andrew, Angelo, eh, I dunno.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

Combining the name change with a sex change could make me "ellen". Heh. [Smile]
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Charles I of England was apparently a major league scumbag. Among the signers of his death warrant when he was finally defeated were Edward Whalley and Edmund Ludlow. So Edward might be nicely symbolic.
People who sign death warrants ro behead people aren't so much better than the people they do away with. I know you were being lighthearted but my "unfairness" warning light lit up, so I had to say something.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
About how old are you? (It makes a difference in the names I'd suggest.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
FG, when we went to court to have my son's name changed, the judge asked every person there why they were changing their name. Maybe our experience was unusual.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

kqueen, I am 30.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. Then I don't recommend Aaron.

Or Leonard, but for the opposite reason.

Arthur is good.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
How about Steven? [Razz]

You seem to like that one...

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

jeniwren -- I wonder if it is different in different regions/states? I helped an extended family member get their name changed -- didn't even have to appear in front of the judge -- the lawyer just draws up the paper, gets them approved by the judge, and that was all. So, as far as I know, no reason or explanation had to be given.

FG

kq -- why not Aaron? One of my best friends is named Aaron, and he is 35.

(personally, I like Steven as well -- but he wants something that matches his criteria)

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I just don't think Aaron is a name that ages well. I might consider Aaron if he was in his early 20's; at least there'd be a big clump of Aarons aging together. But I wouldn't recommend it as a brand-new name to someone who's 30. I'm not saying you can't come to terms with it if you've had it your whole life, and even come to enjoy it; just that I wouldn't change my name to it were I him.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

ah, I see.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Originally posted by KarlEd:
Don't change Charles, it's French for Karl and it means "manly".

Or better yet, change it to Karl (but not Carl [Wink] )

Huh. I always thought it meant king.
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I grew up with dysfunctional, abusive parents and changing my name ( both first and last) was a great healing thing for me. I had it changed in Seattle court, paid my money, appeared before the judge for maybe 5 minutes. He did the people assambly line, asked us all if we were changing our names in order to commit fraud, we swore under oath we weren't, and he stamped our papers. That was about 12 years ago, don't know if things have changed. I had been using my "new" first name for at least 5 years before the legal change, and everyone in the state I live in knew my by that.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Charlemagne
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Huh. I always thought it meant king.

Nope. Another cognate is the English churl. I believe that Germanic names meaning "king" generally have ric or rich in them.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hmm216
Member # 8403

- posted      Profile for Hmm216   Email Hmm216         Edit/Delete Post 
Anthony??

I really like Steven!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 218 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:
(personally, I like Steven as well -- but he wants something that matches his criteria)

So how about Estevan?
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever you do, don't name yourself Al. Allan, Allen, etc are fine, but Al is just...not sometime a person should choose to name themselves. I don't know, I just have a negative gut-reaction to that name. Perhaps because it reminds me of "Married With Children".

I also like Steven. Or starLisa's Estevan (Esteban?) suggestion. [Smile]

I like Edward, too, but not for the executed-Charles-the-First reason. [Big Grin]

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're doing this to give yourself an auspicious name in Vedic astrology, why not ask a Vedic astrologer? Maybe they could work up a name for you that is especially auspicious within their system or something.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

But if you just want name suggestions, straight out, how about Artavazdes?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

To me, Al is just a shortened version of Allan, Alvin, Alfred, Albert, etc.. It's not a "real" name.
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
You could always just go by Chucky instead of Charles.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Nell Gwyn:
Whatever you do, don't name yourself Al. Allan, Allen, etc are fine, but Al is just...not sometime a person should choose to name themselves. I don't know, I just have a negative gut-reaction to that name. Perhaps because it reminds me of "Married With Children".

I can call you Betty if you call me Al.

quote:
Originally posted by Nell Gwyn:
I also like Steven. Or starLisa's Estevan (Esteban?) suggestion. [Smile]

The way I figure it, "Steven" must mean something to him, or he wouldn't be using it as his name on Hatrack, right? And Estevan/Esteban is a variant of Steven, so it's the best of both world.
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't Charles I the one who liked to kill a deer and then have the carcass cut open so he could wrap it around his legs and feel the heat of its recently departed life seep away? I'm not saying he deserved to be beheaded for that one thing. It was just sort of a thumbnail my history prof gave for crazy and not admirable.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genius00345
Member # 8206

- posted      Profile for genius00345   Email genius00345         Edit/Delete Post 
How about Alexander? -- Alex?

That's my name, and I like it! [Smile]

Posts: 206 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I love the name Alex. [Smile] And the first three letters are the letters he likes!
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Etienne.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always liked the name Weston.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob_Scopatz:
I've always liked the name Weston.

So do you only recommend the name "Bob" when it's someone's child up for naming, not the person itself?

I'm just sayin'.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah...you kind of have to grow into a name like Bob. Although most of us have an "inner Bob," it's a rare person who could suddenly BE a Bob after so many years as something else.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I'm going to come right out and vote against naming yourself "Charles I".
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I legally changed my name in British Columbia about, um, 7 years ago, perhaps 8, and the process there was filling out a form, paying some money, advertising the name change in two local newspapers, and voila! Name change complete. No judge, no appearances anywhere, no criteria for living with new name for any length of time - all done by mail.

However, I picked out my new name and sat on it for a few years. I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to regret it. I don't.

I kept my first name, ditched my middle and last, and for me, it was also a life-changing and liberating experiencing. It was for shedding the past and distancing myself from the life my parents gave me and giving myself a new life. It worked.

Now, as for the picking new names bit . . . at a small family gathering (favorite aunt and uncle and two cousins), I announced to the relatives what I was thinking. I was expecting huge shock, but instead, my aunt's response was, "Have you thought about . . ." and she started spitting out suggestions. The rest followed suit. They were far more supportive than I expected. Also very nice.

Steven, have you thought about going through any one of the hundreds of online baby name sites with the criteria you have in mind? Keep a list of your favorite ones, and strike off the ones you don't like so much. Give yourself time to go through the process.

Good luck.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.