FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Early, Early Pre-Season BASKETBALL Thread

Author Topic: Early, Early Pre-Season BASKETBALL Thread
RoyHobbs
Member # 7594

- posted      Profile for RoyHobbs   Email RoyHobbs         Edit/Delete Post 
With the recent arrests of the 2 UConn players for stealing and selling laptops, basketball is again where it should be, in the news.

No, but seriously, this is for all basketball topics, including NBA free agency. The latest news on that front is the recent signings of Guards Nick Van Exel and Michael Finley to the defending champion San Antonio Spurs. By signing 2 former 20 points-per-game scorers, these moves give the Spurs unparalleled depth and flexibility with their roster. I think we can safely say that barring any injuries, the Spurs are going to repeat.

Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoyHobbs
Member # 7594

- posted      Profile for RoyHobbs   Email RoyHobbs         Edit/Delete Post 
...and as a Spurs fan that makes me say "YEE-HAW!!"
or something... [Smile]

Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Two teams seriously loaded talent in the off-season: The Spurs and the Heat.

I really don't see anyone in the West catching the Spurs, especially after Phoenix lost Joe Johnson. The Kings will have another good run at the WCC, but I doubt they can stop Tim Duncan.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Finley can still play, but I think Van Exel is almost a liability at this point. He's slowed down, and though he can still hit the clutch three, I don't think he's got many minutes left. I look for him to contribute little next year, and Finley will probably get hurt.

I don't really like the Heat's moves this offseason. The Shaq/Zo combo is a year older, and I think Shaq will be more like his last two years with the Lakers than last year. He'll miss a bunch of games, be a little more out of shape, and not as effective. The other thing is that D-Wade is not a secret anymore. People knew last year, but now everybody knows he's the guy to stop. They lost Dooling and Rasual Butler, and I think that production will be missed.

I'm just wondering if the Hornets will play any games in LA this year or if they'll have to relocate, too.

I still would pick Spurs/Heat for finals, but I don't think it'll be the walk people are predicting.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
The Mountaineers (West Virginia University) are getting almost everyone back.
We were one shot from the final four. Can’t wait to see what we’ll do this year.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RynoW1
Member # 8365

- posted      Profile for RynoW1   Email RynoW1         Edit/Delete Post 
Being a die hard blazer fan, I think I can officially say that Van Exel is a MAJOR liability. Just getting a free ride for a championship ring.

I agree about Heat and Spurs. Two SOLID teams.

I'm really excited about my "baby blazers" this year. Although I dont think they will make the playoffs I think that we are heading in the right direction by getting rid of the thugs and building a good youth base around Telfair and Travis Outlaw.

Outlaw will be in my top 10 fantasy players. Honestly, could end up being the next Amare.

Mark my words. :-)

Posts: 64 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.