FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hey! I'm a newbie!--Any poets out there?

Author Topic: Hey! I'm a newbie!--Any poets out there?
queenanneslace96
Member # 8584

- posted      Profile for queenanneslace96   Email queenanneslace96         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello! I just joined this message board and I haven't really posted a lot on message boards but it looks like fun!

I read docmagik's post about trying to write on a regular basis and I have just started to try to do so with poetry.

I'm having a hard time writing when I don't feel inspired though, any suggestions?

Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome!

I'm sure some folks here will be interested in swapping poems or something...

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
<is always interested in poem swaps>

Personally, I think it's false to try to force inspiration for poetry (or any writing, for that matter). What I do is sit down and write - about anything, not bothering with worrying about sentence structure, or continuity of thought. Go to random places and just observe things. It almost never influences me at the moment, but I'll often go back and look at the pages of stuff I've written down and abruptly get inspired to write something.

Some of the best work I've done (imo, at least) has resulted from that.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You must click here:
http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000018;p=1

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Just write something, even if you think it is gibberish.

I've heard advice like write a real long essay. Write it again, but half the size. Write it again, but half the size. Write it again, but half the size. You might have something worth something. And write 50 beginings of the same story. One of them might be good.

Write it once, ideas will gel.
Write it twice, it be not done.
Write it thrice, still will fail.
Write it dunce, or tears will ner' run.

[Razz]

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack! [Wave]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
What I find startling is that there were already 95 people here who wanted their username to be "queenanneslace". The odds of that happening are...not good.

But seriously, welcome to the forum queenanneslace96. Poetry threads get created and bumped fairly frequently, so it would seem that you've come to the right place. A right place, anyway.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome!

What you need to do is go to Tom Davidson's website, and that will answer your question about there being poets in the house.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Noem, maybe it's the year s/he was born. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome!
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Offhand, I can think of at least three people on here who've written poems I seriously envy, as in "lie awake at night wishing I had the talent to have written them first, or else a time machine."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
"Noem, maybe it's the year s/he was born. [Wink]"

1896? Wow.

Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I've written poetry. I have no problem telling anyone here that. But no, except for my joke stuff and Hatrack Haikus, I'll never show it to anyone. In fact, I think it's been safely destroyed. If I ever see it again, I'd rather gouge my eyes out first - it was that bloody awful.

Now, I write science fiction. No eye gouging required. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
Bienvenue (french speakers feel free to correct my spelling, I just say welcome too often and thought it was time for a change.)

In answer to your questions: I'm a poet (at least I try to be) and as far as things to write about, just try descibing things with poetic language...like a fish, or a tree, or a pencil or a coffee cup. Poems don't have to be profound from your point of view, figure out the "meaning" after you've written it, or better yet, let your readers and critics figure it out:)

Anyway, feel free to post some of your work, there's a huge resource of writers, thinkers and slackers of all ages here (I'm not going to say what group I belong to though:P) who can help you out with it.

Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
You must click here:
http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000018;p=1

Tom, I always figured that thread had something to do with ceramics.

Huh.

And welcome, Queen Anne! [Wave]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
I
Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
queenanneslace96
Member # 8584

- posted      Profile for queenanneslace96   Email queenanneslace96         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys (and gals) for the suggestions, I will have to let you know how they workout for me!

And once I get some poems that I will let other people read I'll think about posting them [Wink] !

TomDavidson: Thanks for the link I will have to spend some time looking over that message board!!!

Noemon: lol, 1996 was the year that I was "born again" although I have been sort of "unborn again" if that is possible but that is a completely different topic. Anyway it's just a user name that I like to use.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack! Enjoy your stay here.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
>>I'm having a hard time writing when I don't feel inspired though, any suggestions?

Yes. Give up now and find a hobby that doesn't require you to bleed from the eyeballs.

[Smile]

Seriously, inspiration isn't half so important to writing as willingness to put your rump in a chair and work. There is no substitute for work. Not even talent.

>>once I get some poems that I will let other people read I'll think about posting them

I'd advise you not to post them if you ever want to have them published. Some editors consider posting to be equal to being published-- and you loose out.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
queenanneslace96
Member # 8584

Scott R

>>I'd advise you not to post them if you ever want to have them published. Some editors consider posting to be equal to being published-- and you loose out.

Thanks for the advice, never thought about that!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.