FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 7 cigarettes left. Let the war begin. Help me Jesus.

Author Topic: 7 cigarettes left. Let the war begin. Help me Jesus.
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
yup.

I got 7 cigarettes left.

Marlboro Mild 100's.

Then I quit again.

The first time, I quit for 4 months during and after Lent.

The second time, I quit for 5 months during and after Lent.

The third time, I quit for 6 months after I lost a bet to my mom on the 2004 Presidential election.

I still owe Mom half a year, which I intend to finish, starting tomorrow at wake up.

Lord help me.
Jesus help me.
Let me find strength.
Let me find peace.
Let me find
the best I can be.
Walk with me.
Stay with me.
Hold me.
Please.
I am nothing without you.

May I wisdom?

May I strength?

May I understanding?

May I patience?

May I love?

I love you,
You are
the Kingdom,
the The Power
and
the Glory.

may I always be in your light.

God Bless Everyone,

T

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, Thor.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
That's rough, but an admirable goal. Best of luck.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ShadowPuppet
Member # 8239

- posted      Profile for ShadowPuppet   Email ShadowPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
wow we almost smoke the exact same kind
(marlboro light 100's)

that's beside the point

good luck
I am also about to attempt this whole quitting thing

may your path rise up to meet you

Posts: 83 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
You know it takes the average smoker about 5 tries before successfully quitting?

But that doesn't mean you need to be doing this alone. All of the hospitals I work at have a support group for people like you. While your profile does not reveal your location, I am sure a local hospital near you has a similar program.

I'm cheering for you, Thor!

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
4 cigarettes to go.

Thanks for the good thoughts.

I really seek a bit of strength and clarity through this.

Last time I quit,as a 6'1 male with a strong build, I got up to a mega fat 272 lbs.

With the help of my mom and the south beach diet and 4 days a week of work outs, I lost 51 lbs, and am now down to 221 lbs..

Don't want to lose control and gain any.

Want to be in the best shape of my life.

Don't want to trade one weakness for another.

Go with God.

That's the creed,
the motto
the coda.

Stand strong, I worked with Yoda.

Time for smoke #4.

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

Just had cigarette #2.

Gonna say a prayer and break cigarette #1.

Good night, you princess and princesses!

T

May we all wake to a better world.

Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, man!
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, Thor.
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Good job! NEVER smoke that last one. Always throw it out. That makes quitting a more conscious choice -- you didn't smoke until you ran out, you quit while you still had some around.

If you did smoke the last one, you should go out, buy a pack of cigarettes and throw it away.

And now, just remember that it is possible to quit and never go back. Eventually, the smell will start to bother you and if you ever were to take a puff, you'd become violently ill. It takes awhile, but of all the bad habits to get rid of this is one that is better to shed as early in life as you possibly can.

Good job!

Good luck!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

Thanks, B.

Ok, is this irony.

My girlfriend asks me to quit smoking.
I say yes,
but i'm gonna a be a moody jerk for like 7 days.
can she handle it?
she says yes.

Today my girlfriend says she's gonna dump me if i don't straighten up, i've been very moody.

Wow.

Day two of no smoking.
No cigarettes yesterday, no cigarettes today.

wow.

my body already feels better.

injesting 20 cigarettes a day is bad for the body

but it's weird, i keep taking a step to the door to smoke a cigarette, forgetting that i quit.

Boo You! Phillip Morris!

<T>

foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
It's hard on the SO when their lover stops smoking, but I hope she finds some understanding for you soon. My bf tried to stop smoking by going on a camping trip with no smokes and no access to any for a week. Needless to say, I did NOT enjoy myself very much on that trip. But, the end result is worth putting up with some grouchy pissiness.
Good luck. Do you want some lollipops? They helped my friend stop smoking.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, foundling that sounds like a bad idea. He said he doesn't want to gain weight and 20 lollipops a day would do that. (Not that he'd eat twenty, just saying)
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

Good point, Ryuko. And the sugerless ones will rot your liver worse than alcohol. Hmm... Beef jerky is good. There is no real way you can eat too much of it because it takes so long to get through one piece. If you get the real stuff.
I dont know. Having something to constantly distract her was what she was really looking for. I personally recommend doodling. On napkins.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I bet I could eat too much beef jerky...

Keep a pitcher of water on your desk at all times. Drink a bunch.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Phillipians 4 got my husband through quitting. "I can do all things through him who strengthens me."

He hasn't smoked in 7 years after being a pack a day'r for 20+. I think it was his 3rd or 4th attempt. He's addicted to dental floss and toothpicks now. That's what he replaced the cigarettes with.

Good luck!

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Keep it up, Silverblue Sun! Take back control of your body!

When I gave up alcohol, the saying was:
"It's not the stopping that's hard. It's the staying stopped."

I don't know what drove you back to cigarettes the last three times you quit for 3, 4 or 6 months, but I hope you are prepared to know those things may come up again, and this time you will be able to just say no and not pick it back up.

Cheers to you!
Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been chewing bubble gum to help me quit.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was about 30 (1985), I had to run for a train, and my heartbeat didn't slow down till the train reached its destination about 45 minutes later. That was the first time I quit.

Each time I quit, it was with a stronger and stronger sense that each butt was literally killing me, until the filth and expense and FEAR completely overcame the rapidly diminishing reward (assuaging the demon of habit, oral gratification, 'coolness,' calming anxiety).

I finally quit for good in March 2001 after being an on-and-off smoker for 23 years (one pack a day for almost half of those years).

God, I never wrote that out like that. Even now it shocks me.

All the tricks in the world (gum, candy, exercise, not hanging around smokers, quitting alcohol, taking up hobbies that can't include smoking, etc.) wouldn't have done it for me. That inner switch had to flick permanently. Today I LIVE the conviction that smoking cannot be any part of my experience; it repulses me.

I wish you well. Each demon we battle is a step toward ... something (mastery, enlightenment, righteousness -- whatever floats your boat :-).

-jvp

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck! You can do it!!
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

Hey, SBS, how is quitting going?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.