FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Paypal shuts down internet Katrina donation

Author Topic: Paypal shuts down internet Katrina donation
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Here, and here.

Possible language in the second link.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You see, Paypal has no direct affiliation with the Red Cross, which somehow means they can't send money to them. Don't ask me how that works; last time I checked, the Red Cross accepted money from anybody anywhere.
This situation is crap, but this made me giggle anyway.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
That is really sad.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
Most "Goons" are closing the paypal accounts they had used to try and donate. After of course they recieved a refund.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I seem to remember Paypal having a "donate to the Red Cross" button after the tsunami. Am I remembering wrong? Or did they just change their policy or something?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
Paypal freezes accounts for the mst trivial of suspicions. It's ridiculous that the SomethingAwful donations couldn't be used to help hurricane victims in any way. Kyanka didn't even care what organization it went to, as long as the money went, so it shouldn't matter what organization Paypal has a "direct affiliation" with.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the links. I saw something about "PayPal stinks!" on my LiveJournal friends page but no explanation as to why. I was curious as I'm a regular PayPal user.
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
I used my credit card for several quite large orders on the internet (mostly thru paypal) last year and the credit card shut my account down... twice. I had to talk to them and answer questions before they would reactivate my credit card both times. They even asked me what the money was going for. That wasn't paypal, that was my mastercard that did that. I suppose I take it for granted that if a certain amount of money changes hands in certain ways that look suspicious to the computer system, things get temporarily shut down.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
jackasses.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't open the second link.

However, if there was a question about where the money was going -- if it was implied that by clicking on the link you were donating directly to the Red Cross, rather than sending money to Something Awful's account I can see why PayPal would have a problem with it.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
They made it pretty clear that you were contributing to a Something Awful donation - much like we contributed to a Hatrack donation - to the relief effort.

SA has also done charitable work of this nature in the past, and their track record of it is VERY good.

I can't say I blame PayPal for shutting down an account that spontaneously gets tons of monetary contributions - for the same reason that Theaca's card got frozen until they could confirm the nature of the purchases. My bank does the same thing, as a measure of fraud protection, for my own benefit. The important thing is resolution: if they resolve it quickly, that's fair - if it takes weeks and weeks, that's just rude.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
DKW: Lowtax was going to reward those that gave. And reward them from his own pocket with items that you can buy through SA.

When you are in the place to promote people to help others, wouldn't you promote it?

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.