FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What to See in NYC?

Author Topic: What to See in NYC?
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
So suppose I were to be flying to NYC tomorrow, and I had most of the day Thursday to explore Manhattan. What would you recommend me doing, going to see, etc., if I were to be mostly on foot or on the subway? Any lesser-known points of interest that I could brag about having been to? Anything that's not worth my time or money?

I'm not planning on going to any shows, although we might try to catch the Yankees game on Wednesday night.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't do the Statue of Liberty. Way too much time for too little payoff.

The Met is completely worth it. For landmarks, I liked the Brooklyn Bridge a great deal. The Effeil Tower is good, but only if the weather is clear.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Actually, I was planning on visiting the Met and walking through a bit of Central Park.

It would be fun to do the Empire State Building thing, but I've heard it's expensive and time-consuming.

I like kat's suggestion of the Brooklyn Bridge.

I do like art, but I think the Met will be enough. Unless there are some other museums I shouldn't miss.

I'm going with one of our financial guys, so I believe we will be visiting Wall Street. Since I have absolutely no concept of NYC, I don't know where that is in relation to anything else.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops, I meant the Empire State building. *sigh*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Rockefeller Center sounds fun. Maybe I'll try Macy's as well.

Any good, interesting stores where I can pick up souvenirs?

Edit:
*pats kat on the back*

I wasn't going to say anything. Heck, I figured NYC probably had its version of the Eiffel Tower, kind of like Vegas. [Big Grin]

advice for robots
Member # 2544

Adam, tell me when you've added everything you're going to, and I'm going to print your list. [Smile]

And enjoy your date!

advice for robots
Member # 2544

Thanks, Adam!

The guy I'm going with has been to NYC plenty of times, so I'll get around the big distances with him. But I'm not planning on spending the whole time with him, so I don't want to be completely clueless when I hit the streets.

Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Any good, interesting stores where I can pick up souvenirs?

There's an awesome vintage toy store at 2nd Ave. and St. Marks(8th St.) called Love Saves The Day. In fact, all of St. Marks is pretty cool. Neat place called Into The Woods, too.

Go by Strawberry Fields (72nd and Central Park West) while you're in Central Park if you're a Beatles fan.

The Museum of Television & Radio is cool, on 52nd, between 5th and 6th Aves, as is the Museum of Natural History (Central Park West and...79th?80th?).

Lalo and I may be hanging out in the city Thursday afternoon/evening, so drop me an email if you get bored.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
The Museum of Natural History, except that it tends to be a time-sink. I could do about 5 days in there. If you go, start on the 5th floor. The 5th floor is where the dinosaurs are, but it's really the fact that you are lead through a sort of genealogical progression of the history of animals. I probably can't do a good job explaining, but they do. Just make sure you watch the movie and follow the floor.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with the Met is that one day will only be an appetizer. I liked the Guggenheim for a 3/4 day museum visit, and spent the rest of the day at Central Park. I love zoos, so I spent an hour or so at the Central Park zoo.

Well, crud...I went to see what the Guggenheim was featuring now and they are apparently closed on Thursdays. So forget that one...

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Frisco:
Lalo and I may be hanging out in the city Thursday afternoon/evening, so drop me an email if you get bored.

And I'm arriving Friday morning. I see how this works. [Razz]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
The Brooklyn Bridge is about a 5-minute walk from Wall Street, and from it you can get a very nice view of the NY harbor, Statue of Liberty, and the skyline in general if you walk about halfway across. And if you've never been to NYC before, stopping at Times Square (42nd & Broadway/7th Ave) is a rather fun 2-minute interlude, esp at night - you can gawk at the bright lights and the other gawkers. [Big Grin]

I totally second going to the Met for at least an hour or two, but yeah, that is too big to see everything in one day. I'd find an excuse to stop at Grand Central Station too (42nd & 5th Ave) and check out the main concourse - beautiful architecture. Union Square (14th & Broadway) is a fun place to just hang out - not sure if the artists and farmers' market is there on Thursdays. And Ground Zero is a must. Chinatown is a fun place to wander around in and go souvenir shopping - take the NQRW/yellow line to Broadway & Canal and head down Canal.

If you're planning on doing lots of subway traveling, allow about 20-30 mins per trip. The thing I hate is that in most stations, there's no way to tell how long it'll be till the next train, so you could just as easily wait for 10 seconds or 10 minutes (or more). Other than that it's great.

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Is your reason for not wanting to see a show the cost? Because most shows seem to have lotteries a couple of hours before curtain, where you can win the right to purchase up to two front row tickets for something like $25 a piece. They don't all do this, but it seems to be somewhat common.

If you are at all interested, I cannot recommend Wicked highly enough.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
If you’re there in the morning be sure to have Breakfast at Tiffany’s. I did that after I ran the NYC Marathon. What fun! You can get your muffin at the coffee shop on the corner.
Ground Zero is a have to see.
Central Park is pretty amazing too.
Times Square and Union Square are neat to see.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Well, I probably did less in NYC than even I planned. We did go to the Yankees game on Wednesday night, wherein the Yankees came back from 0-4 in the third inning and beat the Devil Rays 5-4. That was fun. It was the only night where we had the option of going out and doing something, and we opted for the game over a show. I think it was a good choice.

Then I got a bad headache and kind of stayed in bed too long on Thursday. I walked up to Central Park but mostly stayed on the south end, sitting on a rock and feeling crummy. I walked here and there down 6th Ave. but didn't stop and look at much, mostly just stopped at a drugstore and bought some Tylenol.

Later, I walked all the way down from Times Square (where the hotel was) to Macy's in search of a store that sold ties. Finally I bought one for way too much at Macy's. Then I took the subway back to Times Square because I was late and my coworker was waiting for me. We were going to the awards banquet down at Battery Park. I ran up to my room to put on my suit---and at that point realized I hadn't packed a dress shirt. Crap! So I put on my suit over my t-shirt, rode back down to the lobby, and broke the news to my coworker. He wasn't happy. Finally we decided that he would go immediately down to Battery Park and get us signed in, and I would run down to the Gap to buy a shirt. Lucky for me, Gap was having a sale on their dress shirts. I wore one out of the store (paid for, of course) and still managed to get to the banquet on time. Whew!

If I'd had one more day in NYC I would have seen a lot more. I was feeling a lot better after Thursday and willing to do more exploring. But, alas, I quickly ran out of time and we had to get back to the airport.

Still, I had a great time in Manhattan, and I would definitely go back to see more of it. Even though hotel prices are horrendous and it costs close to $50 to take a taxi to Manhattan from the airport....

rivka
Member # 4859

*cough* Because some of us hadn't heard of it until after we took a cab from the airport to Manhattan?

And because, judging by their own website, using it with luggages might be rather a pain?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

What's an airtrain?

My coworker has to travel to NYC all the time. He handled the transportation. If I had been footing the bill, I definitely would have looked for alternatives.

rivka
Member # 4859

AirTrain
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Wow. Definitely cheaper than a taxi. That's good to know. Now, if they could only do something about the hotel prices in Manhattan, it would be a reasonably priced vacation.
rivka
Member # 4859

I did something about the hotel prices in NY. I stayed with friends (and friends of friends). Yay for schnorring! [Wink]
advice for robots
Member # 2544

I do have a brother in law who lives in Jersey City. Hmm.

Are the hotels any cheaper outside of Manhattan?

rivka
Member # 4859

IIRC from when I stayed here about eight years ago, yes. But not a huge amount cheaper.
rivka
Member # 4859

Out of curiosity, I looked at Hotwire rates. JFK area starts about $100 a night, midtown Manhattan about double that. Hoboken/JC also about $100 a night, but if you're willing to stay in Morristown/Parsippany you can get as low as $65 a night -- for a place with more amenities.

No idea what times/costs are involved with getting into the city.

advice for robots
Member # 2544

Stupid Manhattan. Be more Vegas.
rivka
Member # 4859

Vegas? Where the rates triple when Comdex comes to town? [Razz]
advice for robots
Member # 2544

I suppose there’s that. Plus, Vegas doesn’t have the Naked Cowboy. Now that was a sight. [Big Grin]
rivka
Member # 4859

Which I missed. How sad.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

I think he has a website. IIRC, it was written on the back of his briefs. nakedcowboy.com, or something like that. That is one website I'm never going to visit, but if you missed him in Times Square, maybe you still want to see him up close and personal. Whatever floats your boat, rivka. [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

*adjusts afr's sarcasmometer*
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*adjusts rivka's humor meter* [Wink]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*tickles kq*
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! I'm extremely ticklish! *screams, jumps, and flinches away whenever anything moves or comes near her*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Hey! I'm extremely ticklish!

[Evil] I know.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*narrows eyes*

I just have to go over... here now.

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Get some bagles from Zabar's and eat them in Central Park.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
'Cause everyone's your friend in New York City
And everything looks beautiful when you're young and pretty
The streets are paved with diamonds and there's just so much to see
But the best thing about New York City is you and me

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.