FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Utter smackdown laid on government on CNN

Author Topic: Utter smackdown laid on government on CNN
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Ice burn!!!!
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Except for one problem...it's MSNBC.....
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That was forceful.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the Churchill quote is, "The responsibility of ministers for the public safety isabsolute and requires no mandate. It is in fact the prime object for which governments come intoexistence."

quote:
During the course of a defense debate on the rapid growth of Germany’s air force, he turned to the government’s excuses for delays over the previous three years in embarking upon a rearmament program. “I have heard it said,” he declared, “that the Government had no [political] mandate for rearmament until the General Election. Such a doctrine is wholly inadmissible. The responsibility of Ministers for the public safety is absolute and requires no mandate. It is in fact the prime object for which Governments come into existence.”
http://www.fpri.org/transcripts/lecture.20041206.duncan.wardifferentkindreserves.html

FPRI is pretty right-wing, aren't they?

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
In the beginning, he reminded me of Aaron Sorkin. Or, Dan and Casey from Sports Night. Just me?
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! When did that air? It must've been earlier this week because Cheney was in NO or the Gulf area somewhere today.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. This is news?

I think it belongs more in the "discussion" (not "opinion", "discussion") department, not news.

I thought it was good, though.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
>ouch<

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
While I agree with many of the things he said, the "city" quote is a pretty dumb thing to hang that much criticism on. It was an obvious slip of the tongue.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Dana, I think that was just his 'hook'. The rest of the clip was the real meat.

I found it jarring, too, but mostly because it was so obviously a hook (journalism class sucked the life out of me, but I do remember some things!). A bit hacky, that. The rest of it, though, was good.

Ugh, up too late. I can't think of a better description than 'good'. Hehe.

Nighty!

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
That is very powerful.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the part where he talked about stagnant water being a biological weapon. That really got to me.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
What struck me most was his indictment of all politicians - no matter what party - and their inevitable "I/me" comments. Because no matter how much I believe that the final responsibility for the federal effort lies with the president, and I do believe that, it has always been pretty clear to me that most politicians, no matter what part of the ideological spectrum they call their own and no matter what jurisdiction they represent - be it local, state, or federal - seem to think the world revolves around them and their reactions to whatever the topic of the day happens to be. Witness the reaction in the immediate aftermath of 9/11. The White House was convinced the fourth hijacked plane was coming for it, while congress was equally convinced that they had to have been the target.

The "stagnant water as a biological weapon" comment really struck me, as well. Because if the reaction of the feds to Katrina is a typical example of their readiness, we are doomed if the terrorists ever do decide to get chemical or biological with us, or do set off a dirty bomb. I'm not saying that it is, necessarily...just, What If?

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
He made it quite clear that that was an opinion peice, and said near the opening that it was one of the few times that an opinion peice had been done on that show..but that they felt it was necessary.

He was faily impartial about it, slammimng most of teh politicians for their diconnet with reality about this event.

One of the emost pwerful op/ed peices I have ever heard, to be honest.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, if politicians DIDN'T make all those self-serving statements about their reactions to disasters, the media and their opponents would blast them for "not caring" or "not showing remorse" or "not making a statement" or whatever ...

We get the politicians we train.

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.