FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Gore Flies Sick Evacuees out of NO

Author Topic: Gore Flies Sick Evacuees out of NO
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Gore Airlifts Sick

quote:
Al Gore helped airlift some 270 Katrina evacuees on two private charters from New Orleans, acting at the urging of a doctor who saved the life of the former vice president's son.

Gore criticized the Bush administration's slow response to Katrina in a speech Friday in San Francisco, but refused to be interviewed about the mercy missions he financed and flew on September 3 and 4.

On September 1, three days after Katrina slammed into the Gulf Coast, Simon learned that Dr. David Kline, a neurosurgeon who operated on Gore's son, Albert, after a life-threatening auto accident in 1989, was trying to get in touch with Gore. Kline was stranded with patients at Charity Hospital in New Orleans.

Gore responded immediately, telephoning Kline and agreeing to underwrite the $50,000 each for the two flights, although Larry Flax, founder of California Pizza Kitchens, later pledged to pay for one of them.

Most critically, Gore worked to cut through government red tape, personally calling Gov. Phil Bredesen to get Tennessee's support and U.S. Transportation Secretary Norm Mineta to secure landing rights in New Orleans.

About 140 people, many of them sick, landed in Knoxville on September 3. The second flight, with 130 evacuees, landed the next day in Chattanooga.

Good stuff Gore!
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn that electoral vote!
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
That is very cool...good for him!
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MandyM:
Damn that electoral vote!

If it weren't for that pesky constitution, we could get all kinds of stuff done in this country. [Wink]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Never read nothin' in the Constitution about the USSupremeCourt bein' given the power to suspend vote counting to anoint their own candidate as President.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
At least be accurate and call it rererecounting.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Let's not start all that again...

A discussion on the merits and faults of the electoral college is one thing. Rehashing the past is another.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

No, call it what it was. The Gang of Five suspending the Constitution to anoint the EvilOne.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Or stopping corrupt local officials from recounting until they got the result they wanted.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:
No, call it what it was. The Gang of Five suspending the Constitution to anoint the EvilOne.

Lots of things were wrong that year...

But they ruled in keeping with the FL constitution, as it should ahve been.

Bitch about the dimpled chads, or the BS they pulled in lines, or the discounted minority vote if you want...but by FL election rules it HAD to be stopped at that point.

It was FL fault, not the SCOTUS.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I say, good for Gore for doing what he could to help in NO. Right on!
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Horse puckeys. The SupremeCourt suspended the vote count, delayed presentation of arguments for over a week, then the Gang of Five declared that it was too late to count the votes AND picked their own President.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Suspended the third or fourth vote count, I can't remember at this point.
aspectre
Member # 2222

Dagonee, you don't want to remember Scalia pontificating that a vote recount "is an assault upon the dignity of the President of the United States, George W Bush."
Even though Dubya wasn't the President.
Even though the Electoral College had yet to cast its vote.
Even though there was a month to go before the victor of the 2000PresidentialElection could be sworn in.
Even though there is no such crime, tort, nor even social faux pas as "assaulting the dignity" of a political officeholder.

[ September 11, 2005, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

Aspectre, all I can say is that I am NOT a supporter of Bush..

and even I am glad I don't live in whatever world you see when you open your eyes. [Wink]

Kwea
Member # 2199

FL has clear rules about how teh count has to happen....just like other states. The Federal gov had no right to force a state to violate it's own voting rules and regulations.

I had, and still have, a lot of problems with what happened in that election, but even I understand this part of it.

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW, I agree wiuth Kwea and Dagonee. ANd I'm not a Bush supporter/
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

sigh...
The decision stunk so bad that even Scalia stated "This case should not be used as precedent for other elections."
You ain't even gonna believe the Gang of Five's opinion of their own decision?

[ September 10, 2005, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
While it is wonderful that Al Gore flew out the sick evacuees, it is a national scandal that he HAD to.

And that's all I can say.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
While it is wonderful that Al Gore flew out the sick evacuees, it is a national scandal that he HAD to.

And that's all I can say.

But he DIDN'T have to and he did anyway. Which is one of the great things about Americans, actually. Most of the thousands of people who are responding do so because they want to, not because they HAVE to.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

And he avoided the obvious chance to try and gain some publicity. Him and most people involved with this operation all denied interviews.

Good for them.

advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Not that I'm a huge Bush fan all the time, but Gore's good deed doesn't necessarily cancel out anything good Bush has done so far. Outshines it, perhaps, but doesn't suddenly turn Bush doubly into a villain.

It doesn't seem to matter what anybody does about Katrina but that it's political through and through. There's a lot of energy being wasted on all the positioning that's going on.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by maui babe:
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:

But he DIDN'T have to and he did anyway. Which is one of the great things about Americans, actually. Most of the thousands of people who are responding do so because they want to, not because they HAVE to.
OK. Sorry I wasn't more clear. What I found to be scandalous wasn't that Al Gore had to go. Of course, he didn't. No one individual HAD to. The scandalous part was that these people HAD YET to be evacuated.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bush is not the least legitimate president we've had. Ford never stood for election for an Executive Branch position until 1976, at which point he'd already been President for over two years.
adam, you know why this argument is not a good one, right?

Gore was so stiff and detached as a candidate, that even I had a hard time being enthusiastic about him representing our country. If he came across back then, the same way he does today, I think that he wouldn't have needed a recount to be confirmed as president.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oliver Dale
Member # 8398

- posted      Profile for Oliver Dale   Email Oliver Dale         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a silly comparison between Bush and Gore. You do realize President Bush has a dayjob, right?

And call me cynical (I am, after all), but of course Gore denied an interview. It would have seemed incredibly self-serving of him to take one. By denying the interviews, all of you are doing his PR for him -- as expected.

Posts: 92 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Ford was elected Nice-President, which made him completely legit. Nixon stepped down, and Ford became President, as he should have-it was his job.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Ford was not elected vice president. He was appointed when Agnew resigned.
MoralDK
Member # 8395

- posted      Profile for MoralDK   Email MoralDK         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
And he avoided the obvious chance to try and gain some publicity. Him and most people involved with this operation all denied interviews.

Good for them.

Amen
Posts: 38 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
I do like the fact that Gore's trip was so different from Sean Penn's. He didn't rush down there with a camera crew, as though this disaster were an opportunity for personal advancement. He didn't act at all until he saw an opportunity to make a real difference (and not just a chance to grandstand), and then he did it quietly and effectively, using all the means at his disposal.

That was cool. I didn't vote for him, but my opinion of him has improved.

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And call me cynical (I am, after all)
Selectively cynical, anyway.

But of course, aren't we all?

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ford was not elected vice president. He was appointed when Agnew resigned.
Granted, but Ford was definitely legitimate in that he was elected according to the 25th amendment
quote:
2. Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice
President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take
office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress.

and had no hint of scandal attached to his confirmation.

-laughing- Well, there was plenty of scandal in the air, just none that emanated from him.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I knew that, my point is that there were hearings, and they voted on him, so he was justly elected by Congress. They had a say, and it was run according to proper election rules.
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
oooh sorry didn't mean to stir up that pot...

I guess what I should have said is that isn't it sad that our fearless leader is (imo) not doing NEARLY enough to get aid to NO and his opponent, who lost (again imo) in a most unfair vote, raced in to help at his own expense.

What I really should say is that we as a country probably should hear more uplifting stories like this and less of the 9-11 Discovery Channel reenactments.

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I do like the fact that Gore's trip was so different from Sean Penn's. He didn't rush down there with a camera crew,
From what I've read, this is an unsubstantiated rumour.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
My first response to this thread was "on his back?" I always did like Gore, and I always thought he looked a bit like superman.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.