FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » $8,000 internet scam.. any solution?

Author Topic: $8,000 internet scam.. any solution?
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
My brother told me today about his friend Danny getting cheated out of $8,000.
My brother didn't tell me all of the details, so I'll just tell you all I know.

Danny found a car for sale on the internet, and talked to the person about buying it. Apparently he never got a name or address, just an email from this guy.
He got the VIN and checked it out at carfax.com, all was well. He put $8,000 in his escrow account, and the man took it.
He called the guy and he said the car was on its way, but of course, it never showed up.
The man claimed the car was in New York, but said he had moved to Europe.
Danny went to the police and gave them the VIN, and they told him no such car had ever existed. A picture of the car is up on the website for sale again.

I wish I knew the website, but I don't. That's all I know.

I know Danny made some stupid decisions, in not getting the man's name or anything, but is there anything he can do? [Dont Know]

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
find out the web sie, and find out the VIN from t carfax report....
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Then call the FBI...this guys is using the internet to cross state lines (at the least) to commit cirnes...the FBI doesn't take kindly to that sort of thing. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
If he doesn't have the car, the escrow company probably shouldn't have released the money.

Assuming it was a real escrow company, Danny should have had to sign a release before they sent the money to the seller. If not, then it wasn't really an "escrow" company as I understand them.

And yes, if this is fraud, it's wire fraud, and it's federal. Conctacting a local FBI office is not a bad idea. If you don't have one, a U.S. Attorney's office might help.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
The key lies in the escrow company. If the escrow company is legitimate, they have ways of regaining the released funds - less fees.

If the escrow company ISN'T legitimate, well...he's what they call SOL until the authorities can step in.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jasonepowell
Member # 1600

- posted      Profile for jasonepowell   Email jasonepowell         Edit/Delete Post 
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/3078503/

This is a common one. Somebody at somethingawful.com had this happen with a Powerbook, extensively documented here: http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

Posts: 1281 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*blink* Fake escrow services are EVIL.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
That something-awful story is hilarious! Nice to see them totally get that guy.
Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I want to know what happened to Jeff! [Frown]
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
His friend should also contact CARFAX. If they said the car was good, and the car "never existed," and I believe that CARFAX has guarantees against certain problems with their reports....well, it's certainly worth a shot.

But if CARFAX said the car was good, and the police said the car "never existed", well, it sounds like someone doesn't have their facts straight.

Wish him luck, by the way. Though I will admit the stupidest thing I ever did was pay $60 for a boxful of newspapers that was supposed to be a SONY VCR.

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Arrggghhhh...
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

What happened, Bob? Did you just buy a car online too? [Wink]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.