FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Font Help?

Author Topic: Font Help?
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have written many pages of poetry and various writings and I'm having touble representing them in one collective file.

My original idea was not to start looking around all the fonts I have installed (hundreds of them), but to go with the standard that was on my word processor - Times New Roman. I later on decided to move to Garamond, as it's more compact, slightly more elegant (as it's "classical") and more efficient (ink-conservative).

But after a while, I got into use of diacritics for clarity or foreign words, and some of them (particularly those "combining" onto letters) are simply not available in neither Times New Roman nor Garamond.

I need a new font.

On the one hand, I can use Arial Unicode MS or Code2000, but that's a problematic issue as they are both very ugly-looking (Arial is not a printing-typeface as it's a Sans-serif, and it takes up a lot of space; Code2000 is very unaesthetic). I found Goudy Old Style, very much what I like (the style of quotes, not being overly round and yet containing Serifs and the elegant forms of old), but it lacks a lot of support in diacritics, Greek (that I use here and there) and Hebrew.

I downloaded Gentium, which supports IPA, diacritics and Greek, but not Hebrew or elegant ligatures (fi looks the same without a ligature, and the actual presence of the dot on the "i" is quite unpleasant when reading it printed).

While Gentium seems fine and beyond, I just wanted to know if someone knows of a free, extensive, compact, elegant, SERIF, not-overly-round (like italic Garamond) but more blocked (Goudy Old Style / Californian FB - though not quite like Callisto MT), usable, preferably Hebrew and IPA supporting font?

I simply want to check if there are any other options before I move everything to Gentium.

Thank you,
Jonathan

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
OK. I go for Gentium.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Phew! What a relief! The suspense was...nonexistent.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Duh.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.