FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What is it about clients....

Author Topic: What is it about clients....
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
that makes giving them input on a project always a bad idea?

Not that you have any choice. And it's the height of arrogance as a designer to suggest that perhaps what they want is ugly as sin - no sarcasm intended.

It just seems everytime I come up with an elegant design that I love, the client wants changes that nearly invariably make it less so.

I do my best to please my clients, but boy it doesn't help the old portfolio....

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but as they say, it's not your building, it's the clients. So if they love it, it doesn't matter that you don't.

At least it's a building in my field. I'm not sure if that's what you're talking about.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
More print and web design, but the same principle applies.

I think a lot of clients make changes because they can. They ask for things which are plan ugly and violate good design sense and you can't tell 'em any different.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, it stinks when people who are paying get to specify what it is that their money should buy.

I hate people.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I get a lot of that. Building owners who ask for ugly and awkward things in what would have been a beautifully designed space.

Ah well.

People know what they like, and no one thinks they have bad taste.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I work with a woman who says, "Money is wasted on the rich -- they have no taste."

I just love that.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
"Good design sense" changes from person to person. It seems to me that the end produce should appeal to the client's design sense, not the designers, because it is the client that is paying and the client that will have to live with the result.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
People know what they like, and no one thinks they have bad taste.
Especially designers. ;P
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend who got his PhD in Art History. He knows absolutely everything about art, but he has no idea what he likes!
[Razz]

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah! The economist's motto: De gustibus non est disputandum.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
It was always my experience, the option you were the least happy with was the one they chose.

I found giving them three options works the best. 1 to throw out, and 2 to discuss and pick from. If you give them more options they usually can't decide, if you give less they want to see more and start making lots of helpful suggestions. Of course sometimes they choose the throw out option and you’re screwed.

If you feel strongly against doing something in your design you should be able to explain why what they are asking for doesn't work. Listen to what they are trying to communicate and suggest a better way to do it. Your Clients may not know what works or doesn't work from a design point of view, but they should know what they want to communicate on their web page or in their ad. If you can come up with a "good design" that effectively gets the point across they will want to use it. If they don't know what they are trying to communicate then you may have to help the figure it out.

Of course sometimes you just get a client who loves yellow star burst on a tie died background, in which case do what they want, put the money in the bank and don't put the work in your portfolio.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
And if you need to present multiple (more than three) options, make the one you want to use the third one. If you're only giving three, it should be the second. Never, ever make your choice the first or the last, those are much less likely to get picked. [Big Grin]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Troubs, I'm with you. We have a web commerce product that allows the individual sites fully customize the look and feel of the interface. Our flagship client, the one we use for most references, has customized their web store to the ugliest darned thing you've ever seen.

We use them for references on our other products, not the web piece. Entirely because their taste is so abominable.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.