FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Oh, life.

Author Topic: Oh, life.
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I know it's been a while. But hey, you guys.

I had senior status at Loyola New Orleans after my last summer session. My official major was Marketing with emphasis in Music Industry Studies. I had just started an internship handling marketing with a local record label/recording studio at the beginning of the summer.

After I finished my second summer session, I went to my parents' house in Tampa for a couple of weeks before driving back up to New Orleans ready to start what was possibly my last year before graduate school. My mother bought me a bunch of businessy, interview-type clothes so that I'd have something to wear to the job fairs and graduate school fairs and all of those other things that seniors should generally attend.

I was in New Orleans for twenty-four hours before the school told me to leave (the Saturday before Katrina). They told us that school was cancelled for Monday and Tuesday but that we could count on being back in class by Wendesday.

I called a girl I'd been talking to online through a Loyola New Orleans community and asked her if she wanted to come with me to a friend's house in Tallahassee. She was a transfer student from South Carolina who didn't have a car. I met her for the first time in person that night, when I picked her up from the apartment she'd moved into at the beginning of August. Each of us brought a pillow, a blanket, a couple pairs of pants, and a few shirts. Fortunately, I also thought to throw my laptop in my car.

We were glued to the Weather Channel and CNN. After the hurricane hit, things didn't seem so bad...at first. My friend called her roommate, who'd had to stay in the city to work, and he said it didn't look bad at all. He figured we'd be back in school in no time.

The next morning, when the levees broke, my parents called me and told me that we might as well drive to Tampa because we wouldn't be getting back into the city for a while. So we did. As soon as we got there, we started looking into other schools.

We focused mainly on Jesuit schools. We figured that since Loyola New Orleans is Jesuit, they might be more inclined to help us, and the credits would probably be more likely to transfer.

We ended up being accepted to Loyola Chicago. We started driving up there the Thursday after Katrina. After a brief stop in Atlanta to nap, we got there Friday night.

It's strange...we've seen some of the absolute worst of people on the news. I've now heard stories from people I knew who stayed and said that in some aspects, things were much worse than what was portrayed on the news. But the thing is, we're also seeing some of the best sides of people first-hand. Loyola Chicago has been wonderful to us. We were fortunate enough to get housing (they only had 57 spots available), and they even said that they'd honor our scholarships from Loyola New Orleans (keep in mind that while these schools are both called "Loyola," they're not different campuses of the same institution...they're different institutions altogether). I knew one person who lived up here when we came...I'd never set foot in this city before...and he and his family went out and got us school supplies, bedsheets...his aunt even got donations of clothing and gift cards from her coworkers. The professors have all been extremely understanding, and the other students have welcomed us.

I just found out yesterday that everyone involved with the record label/recording studio I was interning at is okay. In fact, everyone I knew who lived there is all right except my ex-boyfriend, who didn't have a car and who hasn't contacted his family. I hope he's all right.

I kind of like Chicago so far. I was thinking of coming here for graduate school, since there are a lot more opportunities here than in New Orleans. Right now, I'm looking for another internship. Apparently, Loyola Chicago has an office devoted to such things (Loyola New Orleans doesn't), so I'll probably go in there soon and see what they can find me. Hopefully, it'll be something that doesn't require professional clothing, since all of mine is in New Orleans.

Anyways, I just thought I'd say hi and let you guys know how I fared. I've been incredibly lucky.

I've got a long break between classes (all of the business classes are downtown, which is a half-hour bus ride from the Lakeshore campus, where I live), so I'm sure I'll be around from time to time. [Smile]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa. I had no idea you were living in New Orleans. I'm sure glad you're okay.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Chicago.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

P.S. Do you have clothes for winter? If not, let me know what gender and size you are and we'll see what we can come up with.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Very glad to hear you're alright, pH, and that things are working out for you. [Smile] Good luck finding an internship.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

As for winter clothes...I have, um, some long-sleaved shirts and a coat that was okay for Boston in March...but I'm not sure how that's going to work out here.

When do I need to start worrying about those kinds of things?

And when does this strange "autumn" start? We don't have such things in the South. [Razz]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Eeeek. Gender and size? (I live in Minnesota, and will be in Chicago sometime this fall.)

Edit: If you don't want to answer that, that's fine, too. I just have a lot of coats, and if one would work out for you, would be more than happy to share. If you'd rather pick something out yourself, I'd totally understand that, too.)

(And I quoted myself instead of editing. Bah.)

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I'm female. I usually wear small/medium shirts and size 8 long pants (I'm nearly 6' tall).

-pH

ElJay
Member # 6358

Hmmmm. I'm female, and about the same size, but only 5'6". Any of my coats might be too short for your arms. but let me check when I get home. . . off the top of my head, I have a black leather coat that's lined and pretty warm that might work out for you, and a red wool peacoat that's really cute that would work for fall and spring but not deep winter. At least not here, might in Chicago.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, thats tall... [Big Grin]

I am only 5'7" myself...and my wife is only 5'3".. [Big Grin]

Good luck, I am glad you made it out ok, and that you found someplace to help you out...

Good luck with finding an internship!

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

As for when, you'll probably want a couple of flannels or sweaters to wear over normal shirts end of this month/beginning of next, depending on your cold tolerance. It can get cold enough for jackets in October, or it could stay pretty warm. Your Boston coat will probably get you though October and the beginning of November, though. You'll almost definitely want something warmer in December through at elast February, probably most of March.
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to see things are doing alright in Chicago, pearce! That city can get very cold very soon. I'd send you some clothes but you and I are far from the same size!
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

BTW, I think JCPenney is offering a 20% discount if you can prove you lived in NO...in case you have items you need that no one here can send you.

I work for them, and I read something about that...I think it goes for any JCPenney, and other companies might be doing that as well, I am not sure.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
According to this page, Kwea, you have to have a card or voucher issued by the Red Cross to get the extra 20% off.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Golly, girl, I'm so glad you are okay! I thought about you when the news of the hurricane hit, but I figured school maybe hadn't started or something.

You should have tried to catch me on Aim or something-- I'd have loved to put you up for the night on your way to the great white north (I live outside Atlanta).

Drop me a line if you head home on a break, or something and need a place to crash.

Again, I'm glad you are okay.

[ September 12, 2005, 06:47 PM: Message edited by: Olivet ]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Neval and I can use all the help we can get. She needs it more than I do, though...her mother is unemployed and can't help her out at all financially. I heard from another New Orleans girl today that the Red Cross is giving out money if you can prove you're from the city. I'm going to look into that tomorrow, most likely.

I don't know if we're going to be here past December 17th or not. It depends on what happens with Loyola New Orleans. We'll see.

-pH

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Pearce is in Chicago, too? The same time as Irami?

Okay, seriously, we've got to clump soon. If only to bring you stuff.

[ September 12, 2005, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Pearce, I told you there were lots of 'rackers in the Chicago area. [Wink]

Good luck with everything, and hope you find all the warm clothes you need. [Smile]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad to hear you landed on your feet. I thought I remembered that you were thinking of going to a New Orleans school.

Great to hear from you!

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
pH,

I'm glad to hear that you're okay and that you've heard from all but one of your friends, etc. in NO -- I hope you get good news regarding your ex-boyfriend soon. It's horrible to just wait and worry.

You're in good hands with the Chicago area folks.

If the Red Cross doesn't come up with enough assistance for you and your friend, I can also suggest that you could go to the nearest United Methodist Church or the district office near where you are. UMCOR is doing a lot with relief efforts and the local churches/districts are geared up for evacuees.

I assume the school has found you some sort of housing. If not, you could even try HUD. I know in the local area here they froze the waiting list for HUD housing in order to get people from the evacuated areas into some sort of decent apartments/houses in the short term.

Anyway, I'm sorry you lost a lot of stuff and that the job thing is on an indefinite hold, but I'm very glad you have your school set up already and that you weren't in harm's way.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been thinking about you and am glad to hear you're okay. I'm also impressed at how quickly you got your crap together to get into school up there!

I hope you enjoy Chicago, as long as you're there. [Smile]

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Chicago is great. I was born there. How can you not like it? [Big Grin]

ph, man, that was a great story.

Being from the south, you are not ready for Chicago winters. You are going to freeze. On the other hand, you'll get to play in the snow. But, if you leave in December, you might miss the worst of it.

I heard today that they might actually have a scaled down Marde Gras next year. And some things are going better than anticipated.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck with your new beginnings.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Mardi Petit?
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
pH!!

We haven't talked in awhile but I'm very glad to know you're okay. I know GW is also accepting New Orleans students, so if you know of anyone else who's in a pinch I can try and help in whatever way I can. Also, I'm pretty far away, but if there's anything I can do for you, let me know.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Very good to know you're okay. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Chicago!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
and.

quote:
oh, life.
quote:
It's bigger. It's bigger than you, and you are not me.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad to hear you are ok, pH. [Smile] And glad to see the Chicago/Midwest Hatrackers will have you decently covered in no time. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you're okay, pH.

I'm only a couple hours away; if I can help out, let me know.

Also, I'd like to point out that, out of respect to the seriousness of this thread, I refrained from including a very funny but slightly inappropriate offer. I'm just that classy.

Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
Originally posted by Valentine014:
According to this page, Kwea, you have to have a card or voucher issued by the Red Cross to get the extra 20% off.

And we have been told to check to make sure they actually lived in the area, but to honor the offer even without a card or voucher. Providing they have some sort of ID proving they are from the area, of course...some people would try to take advantage of us if we didn't check, unfortunatly. [Frown]

Living in MA, and being busy with MRI's and missing work, I have not encountered it myself though, so I could be wrong. [Dont Know]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad to hear that your life will continue. It's amazing how people have stepped up to help in whatever way they can, whether it's buying school supplies, honoring a scholarship, or providing basic food and shelter. I'm glad you've not had a problem getting the help you need so far. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
pH let me know if you need anything. I'm out past O'Hare near Arlington Height but could drive into the City after work. There are some places like Value City that offer reasonably inexpensive decent winter clothes if you don't mind being a year behind in fashion. I also have a winter jacket that is down that one of you could have, though I'm 5'8" and size 12 roughtly.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Banna, that might fit Neval. She's shorter than you, but also a size 12.

Out by O'Hare...is that near Park Ridge? My car is currently parked at my one Chicago friend's house in Park Ridge, but I have no idea where that is in relation to where I am now. I'll have to get it eventually. I think he wants it out of his driveway soon.

Dante, you are the classiest. [Razz]

-pH

JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear you're okay, Pearce. [Smile]

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to know you're okay, pH. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

The thing to remember about Chicago weather - and this is important. It changes all the time and very quickly. Never think that because it is 75 and sunny when you leave the house that you can leave without a sweater. Especially in the spring and fall the temperature can drop like a stone.

Another thing. You are near the lake. It is only a lake but is it a big lake so it does influence the weather. When listening to a weather forecast pay attention to "warmer on the lakefront" or "cooler along the lake" because it will make a difference of about 10 degrees depending on the wind direction.

I have some winter stuff that might work for Neval. I could bring it by some evening after work if you want to e-mail me so we can work out a time and where you are on campus etc.

Also, do you need towels, sheets, etc?

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yet another reason why I love Hatcrack. [Big Grin]

pH, also glad to hear you're doing okay and that things have worked out for you despite everything.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to know you're okay [Smile]
Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
pH--I am the QUEEN of consignment shops. I have yards of extra clothes, and can find stuff you or Neval need for no money or super cheap. I also have a men's Large size parka with thinsulate lining if you or she think you would like it. Just let me know if you are interested and I can start looking around.
Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Pearce, thanks for checking in. You're going to love Chicago once all these good folks get you clothed. I'm going to dig around and see what I can find for you. I too am 6 feet tall, but you my dear, are skinny and I'm unfortunately NOT. So I might not have clothes that fit. But coats, sheets etc...I'll see what I've got. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You're going to love Chicago once all these good folks get you clothed.
I hope if any of these good folks get her unclothed that she will continue to love Chicago.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Park Ridge is pretty near where I work. I'm going to e-mail you from my work address with contact info.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

(will your Loyolano.edu email address work??)

AJ

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz] at Tom.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
The thing to remember about Chicago weather - and this is important. It changes all the time and very quickly. Never think that because it is 75 and sunny when you leave the house that you can leave without a sweater. Especially in the spring and fall the temperature can drop like a stone.

Another thing. You are near the lake. It is only a lake but is it a big lake so it does influence the weather. When listening to a weather forecast pay attention to "warmer on the lakefront" or "cooler along the lake" because it will make a difference of about 10 degrees depending on the wind direction.

YES!!! ALWAYS carry a sweater or light jacket and an umbrella!!!! We have a saying 'round here... if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes. [Smile]
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Guys, I have a few jackets that I won't need now that I am moving to FL...as in I have three winter coats, not including my old Army parka and my leather jacket with a lining...

I have a green parka that is PERFECT for those winters, and I sould know, I am from Detroit.

Send me an email where I can mail it to if you want it. [Big Grin] It is only two years old and in perfect condition....it is hunter green. [Big Grin]

pH
Member # 1350

I have no idea if my loyno email address works or not...the server is strange....I'm still trying to get my records from the school.

Try yourprecious at gmail. [Smile]

-pH

kmbboots
Member # 8576

I haven't had any luck e-mailing you through hatrack. Try e-mailing me through Hatrack if you want me to bring stuff over tomorrow (Friday) after work. I have some sweatshirts and a couple of jackets.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.