FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Okay I need someone well versed in LDS Canon

Author Topic: Okay I need someone well versed in LDS Canon
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Okay the fried who thinks the Church of Jesus Christ and Latter Day Saints is some kind of cult is willing to write out an essay on the subject and I'ld like to pass it to someone (not publicy I don't want to offend anyone) who can answer a reply to each point raised pass it back to me, and I'll pass it to him.

This way I don't offend anyone asking stupid questions, no little thread sniping wars are started and I don't butcher an arguement since I don't know anything and thus its really really hard to debate this if I don't know anything.

So ya, reply if your interested and I'll pass it to you, if PJ says its okay I'll post and let the Community at large to answer it, (i don't have it yet expect at least a week, college students are lazy).

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't mind doing this by e-mail. Of course, have you asked him to research his conclusions before he writes them? lds.org and mormon.org have a large body of searchable information that may open his eyes about a couple of things.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
They also have great recipes for cooking babies. [Wink]

What definition of "cult" is your friend using? I've read some Protestant Christian material that defines it as a religion that calls itself Christianity, but doesn't fit the definition of Christianity that the author of the material uses.

So far as I've seen, Mormons are no more cult-like than your average Protestant Christian. Unless you're talking about the wackos in Colorado City. Though I think the main LDS church may have excommunicated them...

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Jacare Sorridente   Email Jacare Sorridente         Edit/Delete Post 
Feel free to e-mail me as well.

Shigosei- babies in coconut sauce are divine

Posts: 4548 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't post it on Hatrack.

Taalcon has seen just about everything anti that has been put out. He'd be an excellent resource.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I forgot to say please don't post it on Hatrack. There's enough anti stuff on the internet already. Plus, it's disrespectful to your hosts.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just surprised the LDS had cannons. I mean, they afraid pirates are going to raid Utah? Do they have a gangplank, too?
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

lol, only afriad that the Union will invade them... oh wait a minute...
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Do they have a gangplank, too?
Yes, we make the parents walk it if they won't give up their babies for us to eat. [Razz]
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I've actually been answering a lot of "essays" like this lately on other forums. Feel free to send it my way. I may actually be able to cut-and-past a lot of what I've already written to answer many of his statements [Wink]
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Sure, that'll be great once he's finished I'll send it to you.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

And everyone else who answered the call as well, more brains poweer y'know.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Once again in my fundamentalist upbringing, I was taught that "cult" refers to any sect claiming Christianity but with a non-standard concept of the nature of God and/or Jesus Christ. This includes modifications on the concept of the Trinity (notwithstanding that the word Trinity isn't actually in the Bible) and addendums or explanations of Jesus Christ being fully God and fully man.

The term is mainly applied in modern times to LDS and Jehovah's Witnesses, though I believe Christian scientists may fall in as well, and Seventh-day adventists are borderline, the Gnostics would be an more ancient example.

"Cult" does not equal "occult" though some folks confuse the two. However the two concepts can overlap in some varieties of voodoo practice.

Fundamentalist protestant evangelical Christians also feel that some Catholic practices such as the elevation of Mary to co-redemptrix are bordering on the lines of "cult" as well as veneration of saints crossing too near the line of the occult. In fact you'll find many fringe fundamentalist websites that paint Catholics and LDS with about the same brush.

(though some of the fringe fundy groups have become "cults" in their own way)

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
BTW Blayne, this was a very good way to discuss this in a non-confrontational manner.

[Hat]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. I always thought cults were small, bizarre religions such as the one that thought there were UFOs behind the comet and whatnot.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
The big established religions were, at one time, small, and seemingly bizarre.

Just saying.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, you can also contact me about this if you like [Smile] I've done quite a bit of this sort of thing myself, though I lack the giant bucket of references and quotes that some people seem to have.

And I'm sorry for my jabs over on the other thread [Smile] I really didn't mean to be too seriously critical, but I'm betting that after OSC's giant post, it was hard not to come across that way.

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I took a History of American Religion class. My professor said that historians use the term "sect" to refer to variations of a particular religion that have the same doctrine but different cultures- like the Amish. "Cults" refer to groups that have similar cultures but different doctrines. According to this definition, the LDS church is a cult.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

A cult can be any system of religious beliefs and rituals. Christianity itself is a cult.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
A cult is just a religion that you are choosing to demonize. You get to tailor your definition of cult so that it includes who you want it to.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Amanecer, I don't think we could say that Mormon culture is particularly similar to traditional Christian culture ...
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

Edited: Nevermind, this is too sensitive of an issue to argue. I do think that professor was making a useful and non-offensive distinction with the terms. But since that is certainly not what Blayne's friend meant, it doesn't really matter. *steps out of thread*

[ September 14, 2005, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: Amanecer ]

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to also applaud your handling of this issue, Blayne.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the way people use "cult" these days means something like "religious, or even non-religious, group, that makes the personal decisions for its members." If a church urges you to tithe or not hit people, that doesn't make it a cult, but if it decides what house you should buy and makes out your daily planner, it is.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Is Falun Gong a cult? And yay!! I'm not being critisized! I feel so happy! *basks in praise* [Cool]

*rolls dice* Aha! 500 dmg with a fire ball! [Party]

Waaaaaaaait..... [Eek!]

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok....now to do something about the DnD references...

[Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

pffft, getting back into the mood. I hope to play in school nowadays.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
Ok....now to do something about the DnD references...

You crack me up!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
"is falun gong a cult?"

Not really. They are a mishmash of Taoist and Buddhist philosophy and qi gong. Speaking loosely.

Wikipedia on Falun Gong

Members are free to leave the group any time. In terms of Chinese stuff, it's nowhere near the most violent (so far) short-term group movement that China has seen. There was a guy who believed he was the reincarnated brother of Jesus Christ back in the 1860's. His followers killed several million people before stopping. I'd have to research it to find the guy's name.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

i dooon't knooow..... I've heard that the falun leader claims you can get xray vision and stuff if they follow him.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, and where did you hear that? Did you hear it from the leader, or an official website or publication of the group, or even from a member of the group? Or did you hear it from somewhere else?

'Cause I've heard that us Mormons worship the Devil in the Temple. Funny, I've never noticed that when I go there...

Amanecer
Member # 4068

quote:
There was a guy who believed he was the reincarnated brother of Jesus Christ back in the 1860's. His followers killed several million people before stopping. I'd have to research it to find the guy's name.
You're thinking of the Taiping Rebellion led by Hong Xiuquan. Simplifying that movement into a purely religious things is too condensed. China was ruled by the Manchu, an ethnic minority, and was essentially a puppet of Western powers. The Taiping had very anti-Western and anti-Manchu politics. A lot of people joined them for those reasons and not for religious ones.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

heard it third hand. I don't believe it, I'm just suspiscious.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Maybe you should research it before you repeat it next time.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

ok gomen nasai.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.