FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Who are your heroes? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Who are your heroes?
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Albert Einstein. If he failed math, maybe I still have some hope left.
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some of mine, in no particular order.

The Buddha
Socrates
Jesus of Nazareth
Epictetus (obviously)
My parents and siblings
Michelangelo Buonarroti
Jonathan Swift
Oscar Wilde
Garrison Keilor

Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
A woman named Lust.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I just wrote an essay about this for my Honors English class, I got a 94% and tied for the highest grade in the class. I had to name three qualities-bravery, self-sacrifice, and spirit- and list three people who exemplified the qualities. I listed George Washington, Martin Luther King, Jr., and Kurt Cobain. I realize that Kurt Cobain probably shouldn't have been on the list because of some of the mistakes he made, but I put him there anyway.

Kurt Cobain, for those who don't know, was the lead singer of a band called Nirvana. He was also addicted to Heroin, married, and had a child. And, on another note, shot himself in the head. But he wrote what he felt and expressed it in one of the best ways, through rock music. He was a wonderful lyricist, and he could sing. Despite some of his mistakes, him and his band mates have inspired a friend of mine and I to seriously start a band, we'd acted like we had one for awhile. We've got it all figured out. All we need now is song writing talent, a knowledge of how to play our instruments, and someplace to practice. But we're getting there because Kurt Cobain taught us that your music can be awesome, and it can have a moral.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Jesus
Gandhi
The Dalai Lama
The Buddha
Socrates
John Stuart Mill
Kofi Annan
Dosteovsky
Dr. Seuss
Hayao Miyazaki
Walt Disney
J.K. Rowling
Cal Ripken
Papa Moose
CT
Two of the pastors of my church
Three of my high school teachers
One of my college philosophy professors
The dude who swiped cards at the dining hall at college
A guy I knew from high school
A surfer kid I met only briefly at the beach
And, of course, Ender Wiggin

The list could go on forever...

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tresopax:

The list could go on forever...

And I was afraid it would.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

That wasn't very nice, Tante. So what if he, maybe, looks up to a lot of people.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonidas.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
That wasn't very nice, Tante. So what if he, maybe, looks up to a lot of people.

I didn't intend to be mean. I just thought the list seemed, well, unselective. It included people whose names he didn't know. Wonderful to have a wealth of role models, but perhaps the list may benefit from some editing.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

Some people think that the key to happiness is to be admired by many and be hated by few. That is wrong. It is much more important to admire many and hate few.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

OK! Be happy! I certainly wouldn't want to interfere with that.
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
It helps when your hero is not a fictional construct.

I submit that all heroes are fictional constructs. Yes, all of them.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
Even Spiderman?
Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

quote:
Why? You don't believe real people can be heroic?
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Why Oscar Wilde, Epictetus?

My heroes are my parents, because they're fantastic, and Atticus Finch. I have a bracelet that says WWAD, and I am very fond of it.

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eruve Nandiriel:

Sadly, it's my understanding that this is merely an urban legend.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not that I don't believe people can be heroic, I just believe that "hero" is a label we apply to the good and admirable qualities of a person, usually discounting the negative.

If you look back at the lists people have submitted, most of the names listed are simply labels used to designate reputations, not the reality of who those people were.

Even if someone who listed "Dad" explained to me why they did so I might agree that their dad was heroic. However, I'd still be applying "hero" to a very limited perception of the reality of who that person was.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand the fascination with Atticus Finch. Honestly. I read the book, I saw the movie, and I wasn't all that impressed. Atticus Finch is somewhere near the bottom of fictional people with admirable qualities for me.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Even Ignaz Semmelweis?
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ambyr:
quote:
Originally posted by Eruve Nandiriel:

Sadly, it's my understanding that this is merely an urban legend.
You're so cruel...snatching away my hope like that... *tear*
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Actually, it isn't an urban legend. Last time I checked I mean. He may not have failed math specifically, but he did not do well in school.
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on how much you trust wikipedia, Einstein did not fail math.
Wikipedia
quote:
There is a recurring rumor that he failed mathematics later in his education, but this is untrue; a change in the way grades were assigned caused confusion years later.

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I just that I don't think he failed math. But I'm almost 99% sure that he failed some of his other classes.
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
You could be right SteveRogers. I've only done a little googling, and that pointed to it being a myth. Do you have a link?
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

No, but I watched an educational video awhile back. It said that he recieved mostly D's, when converted to our grading system, during his earlier school years.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I believe that's because the schoolsystem he was in used a grading system that later got inverted to conform with German standards.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Just got word that John Pelton (one of my heroes previously listed) has died at the age of 89.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askew
Member # 8438

- posted      Profile for Askew   Email Askew         Edit/Delete Post 
My heroes tend to be fictional because for me a hero embodies an ideal. You can also know what goes on in the mind of a fictional character; they can be laid out with clarity and intent is important. Humans aren't perfect and I respect the many people who have done great things but humans are made from shades of grey. For an ideal I go to fiction/myth.
I imagine it sounds like a sycophant, but Bean is one of my heroes. Even when I read the first book before the others had been written. He was not treated well and could have easily turned his abilities to negative things, but despite everything that was done to him, he did positive things. The strengths of his character are close to ideal for me. What he did wasn’t about personal glory but about an underlying moral view of humanity as a whole. Even as he saved people he was still left out for the very thing that enabled him to save them.
My real life heroes would never make the news or likely be famous, but they are the people who make the choice to do right even in the face of temptation or difficulty for no other reason than it is the right thing. They are the people who don’t join in the excuse mantra “No one else does the right thing, why should I.”

Askew

Posts: 22 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.