FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » It is by Caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

Author Topic: It is by Caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java the thoughs acquire speed,
the hands acquire the shakes,
the shakes becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. -- My Brother's T-shirt

*cartwheels through Hatrack, gibbering*

Woot!

Wonderful friends keep giving me lovely music! Good Music and good mood-altering, legal chemicals make Livvy happy!

Thanks JaneX, ladyday and Ophelia, for the tunes!

Sulawesi Rules!

*backflip*

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, mood altering chemicals...

And I <3 pimping out good music [Big Grin] .

edit: Also, I wish caffeine enabled -me- to do backflips [Frown] . It does, however, keep me from falling asleep at my desk...sometimes...so I suppose I should be grateful.

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I do believe that a little decaf is in order for you, young lady. [Wink]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mai
Member # 8604

- posted      Profile for Mai   Email Mai         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome!

I loved that series! I wish he had done more. I wanted to know more about the Matri.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I have got to get me whatever drink you drink.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I function off caffeine but it doesn't come from coffee. I can't stand that stuff. So all my caffeine comes from soda (mostly low calorie sodas). It's still good.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on my 3rd mountain dew for the day in addition to a red bull I had earlier. *needs to get more sleep so as to not need so much caffeine*
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I still get plenty of sleep (usually 7 or 8 hours of sleep). I just don't function so well without caffeine. It's probably that whole addiction thing. *shrugs*
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Well, see, here's what I do.

What I do is, I take a blender and put about three inches of ice in the bottom, which I cover with half-and half. The ... add about another three inches of milk. Then I grind the beans and make two double shots of espresso out of a nice Sulawesi. Add that to the blender with a healthy dose of Ghirardelli Double Chocolate hot chocolate powder. Then two scoops of Isopure vanilla protein powder and one scoop chocolate protein powder.

Blend. It makes two caffeine-enriched smoothies, which my Beloved and have before our morning exercise.

We used to alternate with fruit smoothies, before the addiction took over.

*wants coke*

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Livvy, can I have one of those next time I come visit you? [Wink] [Big Grin]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
Caffeine? Yes please!
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It makes two caffeine-enriched smoothies, which my Beloved and have before our morning exercise.
Not gonna ask.

I can't stand coffee, so I have to get my required caffeine from sodas. I went to a conference recently and was reminded once again how soda drinkers are discriminated against. When they had the mid-morning break, there was plenty of coffee, but not a soda in sight.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, also not usually any herbal tea or hot chocolate. Plenty of water that usually has a chemical aftertaste, though.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

I can't stand plain coffee, really. I liked the Turkish coffee my Albanian friends served when I visited them (while we were living in Chicagoland), and the coffee shots they served on Varig Airlines when I went to Brazil (double-black, triple sweet.

They served it just before we landed. At 1am. [Big Grin] I was bouncing around like a superball until nearly sunrise.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I so love that shirt .... any idea where he got it? I think my Dew-addicted Dune-loving brother needs it!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Um, also not usually any herbal tea or hot chocolate. Plenty of water that usually has a chemical aftertaste, though
A couple of times someone has noticed that I'm not having anything to drink and has asked if I want something. When I inform them that I don't drink coffee (no, not decaf, either, and no, also not tea), they are often nice enough to go get me some bottled water or a soda. Of course, the vast majority of the time, people don't notice, don't care, or just think I'm weird.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Goody - it was purchased at a dealer table at a convention.

kq - I am now perfectly mortified, certain I left you to wither in my home without refreshment. Which is odd, since almost all we have is water (the bottled kind) unless we expect guests who like soda. I was perhaps a bit distracted with all the WenchCon stuff, but that is no excuse. I hope I didn't leave you dessicated. [Frown]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Livvy, you brought me about ten gazillion glasses of water, including asking if I wanted one with every meal and every time I sat down to nurse Ems. [Kiss] I was referring to conference-type situations, not my always-attentive-to-my-needs friends. (((hugs)))
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
In the conference-type situations, I've asked the servers for alternate beverages and they always refused.

I used to work in hotels, so I understand this. The people running the function will, prior to the event, approve the types of refreshments available. If they don't approve of hot chocolate, for example, then they won't pay for it on the final bill. If the servers give me some, the hotel will be at a loss. It sucks, but it's all in the accounting.

It seems to me that those who arrange the conferences need to get a clue, but it would help if the people in the banquets & catering department also reminded the function organizers about the real world.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

*whew*

I know I was raised better than to treat a guest that way, but I get frazzled in times of stress, and forgetful. Once in middle school, some girls were picking on me and we ended up fighting. In the Principal's office, I swear it took me ten minutes to remember my name. Complete short-circuit. *snort*

Quid, I never get anything to drink (that is decent, anyway) at those sorts of functions. Sometimes I just ask for a cup of ice. If you let it melt in mouth it doesn't taste quite as chemical-rich. The cold kills your tastebuds. [Wink]

0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Love the java for it is good.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.