FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The hunt is on: Winkin, Blinkin and Nod...

Author Topic: The hunt is on: Winkin, Blinkin and Nod...
akhockey
Member # 8394

- posted      Profile for akhockey           Edit/Delete Post 
Fellow Hatrackers, I am in dire need of your expertise. When I was a youngin, I remember listening to a record (converted to tape) that played off of Eugene Field's poem "Dutch Lullaby" or "Wynkin, Blynken, and Nod". It used the theme and characters, but turned it into a story. I know there's the two line copyright dealy here, but here is a quote of the more memorable parts:

"We're gonna go a-sailing on a rocket ship, a rocket ship, a rocket ship, we're gonna go a-sailing on a rocket ship, and bring it back to the man in the moon. that mean old haley's comet, has stolen it away, so we followed him to africa and his secret hideaway!"

It's a kiddie story, obviously, but I just want to figure out if anyone has ever heard it besides me or if they know where I could find it. It also involved kangaroos, the evil "Haley's Comet", the man in the moon, winkin and blinkin and nod, and a magic blanket. Help?

Posts: 193 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this it?

The wonderful world of Wynken, Blynken, and Nod. Author(s): Lande, Kay and Denning, Wade. RCA Camden, 1966. 33 1/3 rpm. stereo. Contents: Wynken, Blynken, and Nod.--We must be brave, brave, brave.--My name is Haley Comet.--Miss Guiding Star's song.- We're gonna go a-searchin' for a rocket ship. --Mister Parrot's lament.--Catch me, catch me.--Trouble.--Due North.--A perpetual cold in my nose.--We're going to Australia to ride a kangaroo.--Sing me a rhyme.--Jack Yak.--Wynken, Blynken and Nod. Note(s): Participants: Story and songs written by Wade Denning and Kay Lande performed by Kay Lande and cast Wade Denning, arranger and conductor.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigger
Member # 8171

- posted      Profile for Tigger   Email Tigger         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is this triggering Mel Brooks and Robin Hood in my mind . . . have I just not had enough coffee?
Posts: 20 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Because I think there was a set of characters in Men In Tights that played off this.

Or we could just say that Tigger hasn't had enough coffee.... bouncy yet?

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akhockey
Member # 8394

- posted      Profile for akhockey           Edit/Delete Post 
Raia, yes, that is it. You are a genius. Any chance you'd know where to find it online? Either the entire script of it or the actual sound itself? That would be outrageously cool if you did...Thanks for the find though, it's awesome!
Posts: 193 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Men in Tights featured a character named Blinkin, who was Robin's blind manservant.

If I'm wrong, I apologize, but I'm 90% sure that's his name.

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
It was the black guy:

"Hey, Blinkin!"

"Did you say Abe Lincoln?"

"No I said 'Hey, Blinkin!'"

*sigh* it just doesn't come across the same written down...

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there's a vinyl LP...

Also, I'm not exactly sure what this is, but it's something you can order, so you should check it out.

Really, I'd just google it. In fact, that's what I did. [Smile]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
No, no, no. Blinkin was the blind guy. The black guy's name was Ahchoo (son of Asneeze).

That movie rocks. [Big Grin]

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.