FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Firefly episode discussion: Out of Gas

Author Topic: Firefly episode discussion: Out of Gas
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Last night's SciFi episode of Firefly was "Out of Gas," depicting a crippled Serenity floating in space and a crew of 9 running out of air and heat. What didja think?

(making this a separate thread so people who haven't seen it and would like to avoid spoilers can skip it)

One of my favorite episodes as it revealed a great deal about the ship and how everyone got to it. The hiring of Jayne is absolutely perfect. Also technically well done, as we move from time period to time period without much confusion.

If you caught the clip from the movie last night, be aware that it's edited - there's stuff that happens in the middle.

A reminder: the movie is 14 days out, and the movie site has gotten funky.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I like the light and the colours in this episode a lot, but I didn't see it yesterday so I'm going to refrain from saying any more.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Yeah, the site gives a bit of insight into a little of what has happened post-Objects in Space and Pre-Serenity, for those who don't have the comic.

EDIT: My 5000 post, and what better way to spend it than posting in a Firefly Thread! [Big Grin]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I like about Firefly is how it depicts space. Shows like Star Trek have corrupted us—they're always a commercial break away from the nearest space station or inhabited planet. If the Enterprise breaks down, Geordi fiddles around with a few things, and then they're back in business. But in Firefly, space is big and dark and empty. If your ship breaks down and you're in the middle of nowhere, you're pretty much screwed.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed Out of Gas, but it is probably one of my least favorite episodes. Most of the flashbacks were lots of fun, the linear plot was ok, but the captain moving around ship got a bit boring. This episode just didn't have the depth of emotion that Firefly episodes usually display. That said, the flashbacks definately made it worth watching. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Jayne's Town

'nuff said.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Out of Gas was an interesting episode. I think I liked it because it was different from most of the other episodes in the series, it was somewhat refreshing for me.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was really well done. They took several different time periods and blended them together really well. The only episode I like as much as this one is "Heart of Gold".
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
This episode just didn't have the depth of emotion that Firefly episodes usually display.
I would disagree with this statement and say the opposite! I think this particular episode shows, along with Objects in Space the most emotion. The plot isn't the most complicated- it's more like a series of moments in time than anything else- but there's something incredibly beautiful, both emotionally and aesthetically in this episode.

I would have to say it is one of my favourites, if not my favourite episode entirely.

kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the flashbacks in the episode a lot, especially the one when the ship got Kaylee and how Zoe didn't like Wash at first.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
I was really surprised by Kaylee in the flashback involving how she joined the ship. I had this image of her before that just didn't mesh well with this new image.
Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Yea, it kind of surprised me too, but it was really funny when she popped out and started talking about the engines.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Kaylee joining the crew is one of my very favorite moments in the entire show [Big Grin]
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uhleeuh:
I was really surprised by Kaylee in the flashback involving how she joined the ship. I had this image of her before that just didn't mesh well with this new image.

This is true. I thought she was the cutesy good girl.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
She's open, bright, cheery, and eternally optimistic, but we see here and elsewhere in the series that she has an equally happy and open attitude towards sex. No conflict, as far as I'm concerned.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that revealing Kaylee's character in this way challenged my own preconceived notions about gender stereotyping. Why is it okay for male characters to enjoy sex (often with random people), and not female characters? In particular, 'good guy' female characters? I really liked that part of the episode.

I thought "Out of Gas" was emotionally wrenching, but I've only seen two episodes all the way through, so I don't know if it's my favorite yet. The other episode was "Jayne's Town" which cracked my sh*t up.

I can't wait for the movie!

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry I killed the thread. [Frown]
Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no quarrel with it, but it isn't one of my favourites. I think of it as the obligatory flashback episdode.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it shocked me so much because she seemed so childlike and sex is, to me, an adult activity. It just threw me. That probably has more to do with me as a person than it does with Kaylee actually doing anything outside her norm.
Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. She does, at first glance, seem to act more like a child than an adult. Innocent.

But a lot of evidence from the series shows she isn't some innocent, naive young woman. She's just really quirky, bubbly, and cheerful. That cheerfulness does seem to equate to innocence often, though, doesn't it?

She IS obsessed with starships, though. Hence part of the reason for that whole scene in the first place. Ahem.

Oh, and, this is my first post over here! I'm a regular over at Ornery.org, and have seen a few people from there over here. (Originally, I was introduced to this place by the acknowledgments in the back of an OSC book, found Ornery thanks to his World Watch column, and have now caved in and signed in here as well.) Okay, enough of this! Back to Firefly!

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Her lack of innocence seems to come out more in some of the later episodes (Heart of Gold comes to mind).
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome!
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

I dunno. Some of her comments throughout the series indicate she's no stranger to sex. She just gets more verbal about her current lack in the later episodes [Smile]
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

That's true, kojabu. At first, she DOES seem rather innocent. But as time goes on that changes.

Wait, in Heart of Gold, wasn't she inquiring in whether they had male... ahem.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eldrad
Member # 8578

- posted      Profile for Eldrad           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
One thing I like about Firefly is how it depicts space. Shows like Star Trek have corrupted us—they're always a commercial break away from the nearest space station or inhabited planet. If the Enterprise breaks down, Geordi fiddles around with a few things, and then they're back in business. But in Firefly, space is big and dark and empty. If your ship breaks down and you're in the middle of nowhere, you're pretty much screwed.

I really liked this as well, including two other little things. You never hear the roar of the engines in the scenes where it depicts Serenity floating through space, but it does depict pretty realistically what would happen if you suddenly ignite engines of that size in atmo (like how Serenity managed to escape the reavers in an earlier episode).
Posts: 143 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
"Wash, am I pretty?"
"Kaylee, were I unwed, I would take you in a manly fashion."
"'Cuz I'm pretty?"
"Because you're pretty."

I'm not sure I exactly quoted that scene, but I thought that that was hilarious.

Yes, I know that this is an "Out of Gas" episode discussion, and not a "Heart of Gold" discussion.

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Yea, Megabyte, that's what I was referring to. There was also that bit right at the end of Objects in Space when she's telling River about a 14 year old boy and how her dad got really mad at her...
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Oh, yes, I forgot all about that part of Objects!

Damn, I've gotten to the point where I know most of the events and recognize the episode names. At least its a short show, so it doesn't show I'm TOO much of a geek.

But Out of Gas was one of my favorites. I was drawn into it heavily, since I was really worried about Mal.

The ending was pretty good in that episode, too.

Lord Solar Macharius
Member # 7775

- posted      Profile for Lord Solar Macharius           Edit/Delete Post 
"...and his folks come to pick him up, and it turns out he's like 14. I'm telling you, he must have been a genetic experiment or something, 'cause this guy...oh, my daddy whupped me so hard."

Edit: That was all from memory - anyone feel like finding the actual quote to see how close I got?

Posts: 254 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.