FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » N. Korea agrees to give up nuclear program

Author Topic: N. Korea agrees to give up nuclear program
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
N. Korea agrees to give up nuclear program

quote:
Joint statement calls for security, energy assurances

BEIJING, China (CNN) -- Nearly three years after ordering U.N. nuclear inspectors out of the country, North Korea Monday agreed to give up its entire nuclear program, including weapons, a joint statement from six-party nuclear arms talks in Beijing said.

Wow, when did this happen? I didn't follow the situation very closely lately, but still I think this is kind of out of the blue... o_O Well, anyway, good for them, I guess.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Let there be hope.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's positive news and positive news doesn't sell anymore, if it ever did.
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like it when diplomacy works.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
N. Korea agrees to give up nuclear program...free to a good home.

Iran is said to be interested if their scientists can commit to taking care of it...

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Hasn't this happened several times already?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Until they actually pony up the nukes, I ain't believing nothing.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Diplomacy with North Korea? That's bound to work!
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
As well as it did for Iraq...
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
This really doesn't surprise me. They aren't worried about being invaded, they wanted the nukes for two reasons, one was to sell to Middle Eastern countries like Pakistan, for a tidy sum, and the other to lord over the US in return for something.

But now Iran has pledged to make everyone in the Middle East a nuclear power, removing the possibility of sale. So they turn in their last marker for free food and guarantees of free energy. All in all, very good deal for North Korea.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
And in another 30 years after Kim has died, and China is a super power "second to none" they'll probly begin another program, assuming they don't unify with south korea by then.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
All I have to say is that if we're talking and not shooting, the distrust and skepticism can go on forever, as far as I'm concerned.

Go for it!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Unfortunately talking doesn't go on forever, Bob. At least not with nations such as North Korea. Sure, that's not a proven fact, but given human history in general and North Korean history in particular, it's just a hair short of fact.

What if by talking now we guarantee only greater death and devastation later?

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

The devastation and death now would be a certainty, the devastation and death in the future is only a possbility, allow us our hope, hope guides us.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I believe that Blayne is right.

Also, since there is no proof that going to war would actually avoid a greater amount of death later, I prefer the certainty of no deaths now.

It may not matter much in the equations of risk assessment, but it matters a great deal (I suspect) to the people whose lives are the ones that go into making the statistics.

Every day there's talk instead of bullets is a good day, as far as I'm concerned.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Thanks mr Scopatz. Now read my recent thread about Chavez and his encredible speech to the UN.
Celebrindal
Member # 8466

- posted      Profile for Celebrindal   Email Celebrindal         Edit/Delete Post 
"North Korea insisted Tuesday it won't dismantle its nuclear weapons program until the U.S. gives it civilian nuclear reactors, casting doubt on a disarmament agreement reached a day earlier during international talks. Washington reiterated its rejection of the reactor demand and joined China in urging North Korea to stick to the agreement announced Monday in which it pledged to abandon all its nuclear programs in exchange for economic aid and security assurances."(yahoo.com)
Posts: 27 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I can just see the Onion headline:"North Korea demands nuclear reactor, pony, and trip to Disney World for disarmament."
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
Or not.

Unfortunately, N. Korea has decided to reinterpret the wording of the agreement and make a new demand which the U.S. and Russia are not prepared to agree to. *sigh*

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that was a couple of days after the USAdministration said:
We don't believe that NorthKorea intends to cease developing nuclear weapons.

When the other side of a business negotiation publicly calls ya a liar...

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

[Smile] Well it's certainly not one-sided, aspectre. All the constant talk, for instance, about how the US is so unfair to be itching to get rid of NK, like we tried in the fifties...right after they invaded their neighbors, and haven't tried since.
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Frankly, I think Dubya&Gang want to create enemies as an excuse to con Americans into allowing the continuance of the development&"deployment" of the non-functional "missile defense system" so neo"conservative"s can play StarWars.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

*shrug* You could be right. I don't know.

But whether or not you ARE right about that, the North Koreans are not a manufactured enemy.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.