FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Looking for help with economics!

Author Topic: Looking for help with economics!
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
Assume the interest rate is 5%.
If you were given $5 a year for eternity, how much would this be worth?

Is there a formula to calculate present value of an asset which produces a yearly stream of income?

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, there is. However, this really sounds like you tryign to get people to do your homework for you, which is not something we do here.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

Sorry, it's not homework. It's something that was explained poorly in the book and I was hoping for a better explanation.
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me ask you a question: if I give you a dollar a year for eternity, how much money will you have at eternity?
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

1n?
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
What's n? Are you supposed to just present the formula where n equals the year between here and eternity, or are you actually supposed to come up with an answer?
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

You should be given the formulas in the text, but the one you need is here.
aiua
Member # 7825

No, I just wasn't sure how to answer your question.
We're trying to figure out worth, more or less what we'd pay for it today.

What I was thinking was:
[cost of the object] x [interest rate] = [yearly income from object]->
[cost] x .05 = $5
So the cost would be $100, right?

But now I'm a bit confused because I would have thought it'd be worth more than that. That and I'm not sure what purpose the interest rate serves.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Just do it manually for like 3 years and you'll see what the interest rate is for.

Year one: $5.25
Year two: (5.25[yr1money] + 5.00[yr2money]) * 0.05[interest] = whatever
Year three: (whatever[yr2money] + 5.00[yr3money]) * 0.05[interest] = whatever2

See, the total money is added to the new money, and then the interest is paid on both.

aiua
Member # 7825

Ah. Thank you very vey much. ^-^

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.