FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cooking Group

Author Topic: Cooking Group
HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been very pleased to find out recentley that more of my friends than I thought really enjoy cooking.

We've made a little cooking group to meet friday evenings at someone's home, where we will essentially be cooking and eating. Lots of fun!

The first night is being hosted at my house. Seeing as it is the first night, it will be the precedent all the rest will follow.

I had originally considered doing a Focaccia bread with a greek salad and Tuna with herbed Aoli sauce or an Oregano chicken...

...but then I realized that this group is together not because we love to eat, but because we love to cook. We love to get in the kitchen and get our hands dirty -- figuratively, of course.

So now I'm looking more for group-compatible cooking, like fondue or kebabs.

We stumbled across this idea last friday, when a friend offered to make sushi for us and we all wound up in the kitchen. She set out the fish, rice, rolling mats and nori, and we all made rolls and such and cut them up and shared them with everyone. Lots of fun because we all 'cooked' and we all shared the products of our work.

What could be done in a similar way to get 5-8 people in the kitchen cooking?

Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Cooking Grouper?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What could be done in a similar way to get 5-8 people in the kitchen cooking?
You need a pretty big oven to cook 5-8 people at the same time.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

::regrets inability to find an appropriate link for a cannibalistic "Cooking Groupies" dobie::

-o-

On a more serious note, I believe Bob used to do this all the time.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes] --> Icarus

How about some stir fries. The chopping and prep work is the boring part -- but share that among many hands, and it could be fun.

Everyone can decorate individual desserts, then trade.

Mix up a batch of pizza dough, and divide the dough among the group. Each can do his own kneading, stretching and topping the pizza (or foccacia, or calzone, or whatever) to taste.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

[Roll Eyes] ?

That's a bit harsh, dontcha think?

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wink] --> Icarus

(better?)

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

[Razz]

[Smile]

HRE
Member # 6263

Good ideas, Tante. I'm not too familiar with stir fries; do you have anything trustworthy for me?

As to the rest of you:

[Razz]
[Roll Eyes]

Thanks for the help.

Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
I'm not too familiar with stir fries; do you have anything trustworthy for me?

Hot Wok. Hot, Hot, Very Very HOT.

Now put in your oil. Swirl it.

Sizzle...that's the sound of your food hitting the wok. It cooks hot, but not long. Do not crowd the wok -- it needs to be able to breathe.

Stir (duh!) as it fries, then Whoosh! Dump it out onto your dish! Quick!

But it is the prep that takes a while. You are cutting up whatever vegetables you like in your wok. Meat or chicken is good, and here is a trick to slicing it nice and thin, so it cooks up quick -- slightly freeze the fresh meat or chicken, so that it is firm enough to slice thinly.

I like thin sliced chicken breast with sliced red bell peppers and a not-quite-ripe sliced mango. Season it with ginger, soy sauce, vinegar, hoisin sauce.

Icarus
Member # 3162

Well, I am helping to keep your topic near the top, so you're welcome.

[Smile]

HRE
Member # 6263

Touche.
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
To add to what Tante said, you would want to put your flavoring vegetables (onion, garlic, and/or fresh ginger) in the hot oil first, then meat, then vegetables in order of cooking time. So roots first, then firm vegetables, then delicate ones like mushrooms or bok choy greens. And be sure not to put too much oil! Just enough to coat the wok.

Additional things you can put into a stir fry (in no particular order):

Carrots
Turnips
Bok Choy (cook the green part and the stem seperately)
Daikon root
Mushrooms
Water Chestnuts
Broccoli (cook the stem with the roots, the crown with the firm vegetables)

That's all that I can think of off the top of my head. It can be tasty to toss some nuts in. Once I put in a small package of spicy peanuts, which turned out quite well.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
If you have a chopping assembly line, be rigorous about meat and vegetable separation. You probably all do it automatically when you cook alone, but with lots of people, safeguards can get overlooked. Have different color chopping boards, preferably separated (on different counters, or one on the table).

And tell everyone to bring their favorite knife, because few people will have enough good chef's knives for five people. [Smile]

Another hint: partially frozen meat is easier to slice thinly.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

Well, then night ahs come and gone.

14 people who attest to no cooking ability whatsoever gathered in my kitchen and simultaneously made roasted mozzarella tomatoes, oregano chicken, tzatziki, baklava, a grecian salad, and garlic bread, with a pita and hummus appetizer. Might I add that I only have one oven?

I divided the people into groups based on recipe:

1. Tzatziki, salad, roasted tomatoes
------ The Tzatziki had two half-hour waiting periods. During the first, the roasted tomatoes were put in the oven. During the second, the salad was made.

2. Oregano chicken, Garlic Bread, French bread
------ After the tomatoes were taken out, the two loaves of bread were cooked. They added the garlic butter to one loaf when it was done and popped it back in the oven. Both loaves came out and were wrapped in foil when the chicken was ready.

3. Baklava
------ Because the Baklava is a labor-intensive recipe, one group was solely dedicated to this task. Their only onus was that the Baklava had to be completely ready for the oven as soon as the chicken came out.

For two hours, my kitchen was absolute chaos as 14 people ran around trying to cook and find utensils and ingredients.

Everything was finished on time and it all turned out perfect and delicious. They even managed to set the table for 14, clean -- by hand -- all the dishes and utensils afterwards, and they even found time to tango, salsa, and waltz between steps.

Did I mention that this was all done in togas?

As a finale, we watched Animal House. Toga. Toga. Toga.

The dinner itself was the most interesting event. The sense of accomplishment and pride was almost palpable in the air between the excited chatter over how great everything turned out.

These people, who had sworn to me before that they would just be watching because they could not cook, had gotten in there and gotten their hands dirty and created something they had thought was impossible.

It was stupendous.

HRE
Member # 6263

And pictures can be found here, on my friend's Xanga:
Xanga.com/doxiegrl1

I'm the fellow on the left in this picture:
Senatus Populusque Romanus

Those are hearts of romaine lettuce behind our ears, in case you were wondering.

Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't you chop the people up and stir fry them? [Razz]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.