FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm afraid to open it.

Author Topic: I'm afraid to open it.
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm a Fresca person, I have at least one a day, many times more. So, I was suprised when I opened a seemingly normal box of Fresca to pull out an odd can.

I'm used to having the nice green can with gold grape-fruit on my desk, smiling happily at me. You know, this.

Well, I got my can, and now I have this.

... I'm afraid...

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like when you open it, techno music will come out. Maybe a dude with spikey hair and goggles, too.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm intrigued by the peach flavored one.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw bottles of it at Wal-Mart. I was kind of creeped out.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the very first time I have ever heard of Fresca.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Seriously? I remember getting it out of the soda machine in the teacher's lounge when no teachers were around.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Must be an American thing. I've never noticed it anywhere in Canada. Mind you, that doesn't mean it's not here, it just might mean I haven't noticed it.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Maybe you can get someone you know in the United States, if you know anyone in the United States, to get you some.
digging_holes
Member # 6237

*shrug*

The can is ugly, so the drink must taste bad, right?

Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you kidding??

It's one of the most delicious sodas EVER.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
That is actually really freaky looking.
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Fresca is actually a very tasty beverage. Its like not judging a book by its cover, only its don't judge a soda by its can. Either way, try and get a hold of some.
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard of and had Fresca, so it must exist in Canada.

Why do people feel it necessary to mess with the brand recognition of a loved product? *sigh* I hate it when companies do that.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, you mean like Federated deciding to change all the MArshall Fields stores to the Macys name???? <grrrr>
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Fresca is delish. It is diet grapefruit-flavored soda, which is better than it sounds. The new can does look freaky, but please, overcome your fear and open it. Tell us if it is still the same yummy refreshing calorie-free beverage that I have always enjoyed.

I don't want to be the first one to open that scary can... [Angst]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
I opened it, trembling, about an hour later.

At first I thought it tasted different, but I figured that was just my mind playing tricks on me because the can was different. Later on, it tasted the same, I just don't want to be caught in public with that can.

Though I don't know what it's like if it's cold. I rarely drink soda cold, so at least when it's lucwarm to a little cool, it's pretty much the same.

We'll need someone else to test it when it's cold.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
Give me a good ol' fashioned can of Jolt any day.

Just kidding. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never really liked Fresca. Nor am I terribly fond of the new packaging.

I would be interested in trying the new flavors, though. Maybe then I'll like the drink.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I like Fresca, but sodas (or, I assume, anything) flavored with aspartame give me a headache.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to try the black cherry one, that looks tasty. As long as the drink tastes the same I'm all for new packaging. I think it looks nice.
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
That "new" design could be ancient mystic runes used to prevent a bodysnatching demon from leaving its imprisoning container.
Just sayin'

[ September 21, 2005, 03:42 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know they still made Fresca. I hated the stuff when I was growing up -- but maybe I should try it again just to see if my tastes have changed.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Trivia note:

Fresca was invented to address a marketing problem: Sugarless drinks are always compared unfavorably to their sugared counterparts.

By inventing a soda with an unusual flavor that had never been released as a sugared soda, the market (us) couldn't compare it to the original. A lot of people who like Fresca aren't even aware that it's sugar free, because they can't compare it to "the original."

When sugar free sodas changed from saccharin to aspartame sweeteners, the Coca Cola company stopped making Fresca for a few years. Then they reintroduced it quietly. They advertised it, but not with "reintroducing new fresca" type fanfare. Nobody noticed that the flavor had changed, which was a marketing problem for some sugar free sodas at the time.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting, Glenn!

Farmgirl, I hated Fresca when I was younger, too, but since my grocery store has stopped selling Diet Vernors, I've switched to Fresca and actually really like it now. The new packages apparently haven't made it here yet, though; I bought a case yesterday that was still in the old green packaging.

I want to try the black cherry version, too.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
... I'm afraid...
quote:
I was kind of creeped out.
quote:
That is actually really freaky looking.
quote:
The new can does look freaky
http://www.ruggedelegantliving.com/a/003636.html

"Freaky"

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
At Kroger, they have a generic sugary grapefruit soda, it's good, Fresca, not so, or at least I don't really like any sort of sugar free diet drinks.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.