FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » *polite cough*

Author Topic: *polite cough*
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*cough*lyingscumbag*cough*
http://apnews.excite.com/article/20050924/D8CQGHS89.html

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone explain what all of that means?
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
A blind trust is essentially a stock fund to and from which you can transfer monies, but which contains secret stocks. This is something fairly common among senators, board members, and anyone else who is likely to have access to insider information about a lot of stocks; by buying and selling stocks in a sector without specifically knowing what stocks their broker has selected, they can avoid the appearance of insider trading.

In this case, Frist sold off massive amounts of stock from one of his trusts just before a company his family owns dropped around 20% in value; amazingly, that trust contained substantial amounts of that company's stock. When he was asked about it, he insisted that he had no idea he even OWNED stock in that company, since he was investing in blind trusts.

Except that the AP has obtained documents showing that not two weeks before Frist denied any knowledge of investment in that company, his broker specifically told him how much stock in that company was currently being held.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, at least we know why Frist said he wasn't going to run for Senate next year.
All things considered, do you think the Feds are gonna go after him as hard as they went after MarthaStewart.
Of course, Martha lost money on her trade, while Frist made tons on his. So perhaps that will be considered by the USAttorneyGeneral to be a circustance mitigating against prosecution. If not, surely he can go shopping -- ala Keating, Poindexter, etc -- for a Republican-appointed judge who will forgive him for getting caught.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
There go those Presidential dreams he had toyed with, he sunk them by making easily discovered lies.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Tom, I thought you were immune to words written between asterisks.

But yeah, I don't like the seeming lean of Republicans toward stealing and lying about it any more than I like the seeming lean of Democrats toward Volvo-driving Hollywood-luvin' freak shows. Whether you make sex or wealth your god, it's still idolatry.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:

But yeah, I don't like the seeming lean of Republicans toward stealing and lying about it any more than I like the seeming lean of Democrats toward Volvo-driving Hollywood-luvin' freak shows.

If that's the difference between the two parties -- and I don't for a minute accept that as fact, mind you -- I've got to admit that I like stealing and lying about it considerably less than driving a Volvo and loving Hollywood.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmmmmm...Frist...you bad boy.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
::cough::
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.