FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Top 50 Sci-Fi shows of all time list on some website.

Author Topic: Top 50 Sci-Fi shows of all time list on some website.
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

- posted      Profile for PUNJABEE   Email PUNJABEE         Edit/Delete Post 
Check it out. Neat-O.
Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Some of their picks are interesting. I've never considered superhero shows to be sci-fi.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

- posted      Profile for PUNJABEE   Email PUNJABEE         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed.
Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
*claws eyes out*
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
Firefly is 17? Farscape isn't on the list?? Star Trek: Voyager is one of the best Treks?? The original Star Trek is the best Sci-Fi show of all time????

And while they're including super hero stuff, and specifically a few Superman shows, where's Smallville, which was good for at least as many seasons as Earth Final Conflict, and probably a better show during that time.
[Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash]

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
lol
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I think super hero shows fall under speculative fiction which is typically synonymous with sci-fi. But I don't agree with all of their picks. Xena not only made the list, but it's at number 12. 'nuff said.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
ALL WRONG!
Firefly #1
BSG #2
everything else can go wherever!

I'm with Storm "*claws eyes out*"

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Sliders is #10? That show was bad to start, and only got worse as it progressed.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
And they included the Jetsons. [ROFL]
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad MST3K made it on the list. However, I do think that the Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman should've been left out.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Buffy is sci-fi??? (and number 27 at that.)

I think my least favorite part about this list is that they don't really seem to do more than summarize the shows. The list would be a lot easier to take if they at least provided some justification for every episode.

Still, they have a really.... interesting definition of science fiction.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khavanon
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for Khavanon   Email Khavanon         Edit/Delete Post 
They call the main character in Space 1999 Walter Koenig instead of John Koenig. Walter Koenig was, of course, Mr. Chekov from the original Star Trek. Is this perhaps a slip by a fanboy/girl, or is the original Star Trek justified at number one?
Posts: 2523 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, this isn't the order I'd put the ones I knew in. They only mentioned one of the Doctor Who shows, and I wouldn't have put Andromeda anywhere near the top (there was one particular thing I thought it shouldn't have beaten, but I've forgotten what it is).

ST TOS should be near the top historically. People who watched it when it first came out were totally blown away, just like we are for Firefly, so it deserves high-level recognition.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
While I'm a huge Voyager fan, Firefly is definately better than it. Not sure why ST:TOS is at the top either.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khavanon
Member # 929

No Red Dwarf...

I know a lot of people didn't like DS9, but I thought it turned out rather well, and much better than a lot of those shows on the list.

Posts: 2523 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of them seem to be near the top based on popularity, not quality. I can't believe Buffy, Firefly, and good ol' MST3K weren't higher.

*cough*dieStarTrekdie*cough*

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Theaca:
And they included the Jetsons. [ROFL]

Hey, I love the Jetsons. [Razz]

And I'm glad to see that someone else realizes that there were SF elements to The Man from U.N.C.L.E., which was my favorite show when it was on. Had the lunch box and everything when I was in 5th grade. [Big Grin]

I just want to know where the short-lived but much beloved (by me, anyway) Max Headroom is.

As far as Star Trek:TOS making number one on the list, I feel about it like I feel about the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper album making number one on so many best albums lists. Star Trek was a great show when it first came out, light years ahead of much of the rest of the science fiction available on TV at the time, just like Sgt. Pepper was wonderfully innovative at the time it came out. However, in my opinion there is only one show that belongs at number one, and that's the original run of The Twilight Zone.

Oh, and I was delighted to see Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea on the list, not because it was a wonderful or innovative show, but because it was a can't-miss in our house, and I really was very fond of it at the time.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, DS9 should have definitely been there, and I was personally offended that Babylon 5 made the top ten. Yuck!
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! Red Dwarf definately should have been there.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, they came up with 50 shows and gave them numbers? Kind of reminds me of this.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Why was Futurama so low?
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khavanon
Member # 929

The NBA decided to list their top 50 basketball players back in 1997, but were somewhat wise enough not to put them in any order.

But then again, this isn't the SFWA.

naledge
Member # 392

- posted      Profile for naledge   Email naledge         Edit/Delete Post 
What?! No Space: Above and Beyond?

This list is crap!

*returns to watching DVD box set*

-nal

Posts: 155 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty liberal with what they call Sci-fi. They lumped in all fantasy too. Why can’t people understand that fantasy isn’t sci-fi? Does anyone think LOTR is sci-fi?
And Lost is not Sci fi!!!! It’s drama…….

Andromeda #22? Andromeda started out ok, but got horrible. I quit watching it got so bad.

The list has potential, but you could tell it really wasn’t made by a true sci-fi fan.
Then again, maybe it was but upper management made them include other things that didn’t belong.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I kept waiting for Farscape, Voyagers, or even MacGyver.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! Earth: Final Conflict!

...that main guy, Liam Kincaid, or whatever...he was hot. [Wink]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
I think ST:TOL has some good reasons for being on the list. Sure, the acting was cheesy and so were the effects, but this was also the 1960's. Consider that that series broke down some serious barriers. One of the first (if not the first) interracial kisses on public television. A multi-racial cast including an African-American woman, an Asian man and a Russian (during the cold war no less) in positions of relative power and viewable every week.

The show also took on topics that were important to the day in its basic plotlines. Stories about racism and the neuclear arms race are two that I can think of off hand.

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually think they did a good job on the lower end of the spectrum. By the way, without ST: TOS and ST:NG there probably wouldn't BE science fiction TV that we know of today. I think they are totally justified to be at the spots they are. However, after the top ten (and I think FARSCAPE should be where SLIDERS happens to be) the listing becomes rediculous.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One of the first (if not the first) interracial kisses on public television.
It was the first. But I've always thought the fact that they were forced to do it while under mind control (or something like that) took away from the groundbreakingness of it. [Razz]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
No Space: Above and Beyond? Crappy list ...
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It was the first. But I've always thought the fact that they were forced to do it while under mind control (or something like that) took away from the groundbreakingness of it.
Apparently it was only the first interracial kiss on American TV. There was one on the BBC in Britain on some medical show before it (with no mind contol involved). But still...

*Does her bit to make this board a little more international*

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*narrows eyes* I kind of like that it's a list of "speculative fiction", not "science fiction".

But Lois and Clark at 44 is just wrong. It's better than so many of the shows above it. And Firefly is 17? I don't think so. *glares*

Personally, I would rank SG-1 higher, too. But then, I'm in love with that show, so I may be a little skewed. But The Outer Limits should so be higher than Xena-- I mean, I liked Xena, but really. The only one I absolutely agreed with was The X-Files at no. 4.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

I still can't figure out why Xena or Buffy would ever be considered sci-fi.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Buffy had robots!

[Wink]

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Out of interest, has anyone ever published a list of "The Fifty Best ______" and had anyone -- anyone, anywhere, ever -- agree with it?
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
No Red Dwarf, No Star Trek Deep Space Nine, No Space Above and Beyond= a very bad list.
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yes! Earth: Final Conflict!

...that main guy, Liam Kincaid, or whatever...he was hot.

Who cares about Liam... give me a sexy Talon any day! Go energy based aliens!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

quote:
Originally posted by Lalo:
Out of interest, has anyone ever published a list of "The Fifty Best ______" and had anyone -- anyone, anywhere, ever -- agree with it?

No, but in this case it is a particularly bad list.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm... while they don't have Farscape and Firefly is a little bit low on the list, it seems like a decent top 50. Babylon 5 has the fifth spot ironically and the new BSG is number 2. I'm liking it.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
What a goofy list. Where was DS9? What about Seaquest?

This list is dead to me.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate the way this list is formatted.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Me, too. It ticked me off to have to click for every single one. And there was no alternative.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

You can jump ahead by ten...links down at the bottom.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.