FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Day (or two) Late and a Dollar (or two) Short [A Landmark]

Author Topic: A Day (or two) Late and a Dollar (or two) Short [A Landmark]
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Instead of laying out all sorts of excuses for why I didn't get this posted Monday, I'll just cut to the chase: This post officially marks my 2000th post and 6th year here on Hatrack. In honour of the occasion, I've prepared a piece.

quote:
The theory of landmarking has been challenged quite a bit recently. What makes a landmark? Is it only in the eye of the beholder, or is there some intangible mark that must be reached before a certain post can be called a "landmark"? Is it a number, a duration, or some combination of the two?

Obviously, I'm going with the last option.

But now that I've pinpointed the when, what on earth am I supposed to say? I'm quite obviously not one of the most prolific or verbose people around (or programs, if some are to be believed...). I am, however, one of the eldest regular members (where regular means posting more than once every few months). I think this is where I do some sort of pontification on how the broad sweeps of time have affected Hatrack - filled with ancient anecdotes which only a few here would understand, let alone remember. This might also be where I would discuss the reasons for doubling my post rate.

I don't think I want to do that.

I could go to the other landmark standby - an update on my life: all the tragedies, trials and tribble-ations which I've endured in the two years since my last landmark. I might let people know what I've been doing, who on Hatrack I've met, where I've gone and such human interest topics.

Unfortunately, I've not had crises or tragedies - let alone Tribbles - and my life is sadly quite boring.

So what do I do? How do I keep people reading this?

Curiously enough, that's why I don't post more. I have a desire to be relevant and to contribute to discussions without being repetitive. This is hard to do when one is surrounded by so many brilliant (or speedy or over-zealous) people. In one of life's little ironies, I know I've had this exact discussion here on Hatrack - and here I am claiming I don't want to be repetitive. I do, however, think this merits repeating... but I think you might start to see the problem.

I primarily blame you lot for being too darn good. Smart. Witty. Fast. Whatever!

I do also blame my self-confidence issues. I have an interesting form of low self-confidence: delayed. I can best explain it by illustrating it. Let's take, for example, a big final approaching, and it's a tough one. Maybe I study for it, but more than likely not. I don't get stressed about the lack of studying or about the fact that there's a test in a couple days/hours/minutes, let alone about tests in general. I walk into the exam with a rather cocky attitude, but less than 5% of said attitude is faked. At this point, I know I can (and will) do well. I take the test very quickly, turn it in amid harsh glares from the rest of the class, and leave. I'm maybe halfway down the hall when the anxiety hits. Every nervous twitch, every slightly queasy feeling, every doubt I should have had before the test hits me immediately after. It's nauseating at times - and lasts until I get the exam back (or until I get drunk enough to forget the exam existed, but that's another scenario and set of problems entirely).

I don't know why this happens, but it invariably does. As for its relation to my less-than-astronomical posting rate, well, I think I care too much about the last impression I make on people. It's said that the first impression is the most important, but I'm significantly more concerned with the most recent. A teacher could have had me in class for a semester, and I'll be more worried about what s/he'll think of me after the one last exam than my behaviour and work during the semester. The same thing applies here - you may have known (of) me for six years now and formulated opinions of me which I can't change, but it's the most recent thoughts you have about me which bother me the most.

I'm sure someone will tell me that I shouldn't care what people think of me - especially people I've never met. Please don't. I get annoyed when you tell other people this, and I don't want to see my reaction when you tell me. Is it so wrong to want to create a positive lasting image of yourself to people whom you respect and whose respect you wish to earn? I don't believe so, and that's why I have such an issue, but only after the fact.

In summary, that's why I don't post much. That's also why, when I do post, they're... somewhat lacking in substance. It might also be parts apathy and fear, but no one's been forcing me to come back nearly every day for over six years. Nope, no compulsion. Just a geniune desire to learn from and about the many wonderful people here.

And even the not-so-wonderful ones.

In yet another one of life's little ironies, right before I click the "Add New Topic" button, I'm having severe doubts about putting this up. But I'm going to do so anyhow.

And to think I was going to use some prelude to my NaNoWriMo piece instead of this...

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Carrie, congrats on 2000 and for your longevity here.
Worry less about what people might think of you if you speak your mind. Instead, speak it because what you are hiding may be greater than what you are hiding it from.
C'mon, open up, let it flow. It seems to me that people around here learn more and judge less. I think folks are genuinely interested in who people are and we can all benefit from shared ideas and perspectives.

Thanks for sharing your perspective and thoughts.

[ September 28, 2005, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: Sopwith ]

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I sympathize with you Carrie, as another oldie but not necessarily prolific user (though in the last year or two I think I've probably picked up my posting).

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hat] Congrats on enduring six years of Hatrack.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Six years is a long time, especially around here. Congrats!

And I love landmarks that tell me things about posters that I had never known. Thank you for sharing a piece of yourself with us. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I have self-confidence issues here too, Carrie, and I think a lot of others do, too. Good feedback is few and far between at Hatrack. You can develop a complex that nobody cares.

Congratulations on 6 years at the 'Rack!

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats and thanks for sharing, Carrie. And for sticking around. [Smile]
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.