FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Difficulty (For any Hatrack Vegetarians) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Difficulty (For any Hatrack Vegetarians)
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I went vegetarian for a six-month period about a year ago with my wife to see if we could to it. It wasn't _easy_, but it's certainly do-able, especially if you have someone else going through it with you for moral support.

Now if I had to give up cheese, that would be another thing entirely. No veganism for me, thanks.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
An easy vegan lunch:

Egyptian Kushery
1/4 C brown rice
1/4 C lentils
1/2 C macaroni
onion powder, garlic powder, cumin and salt, to taste

Put the spices in a pot of boiling water. Add the rice, cook for 15 minutes. Add the lentils, cook for an additional 5 minutes. Add the macaroni. When the macaroni is cooked, drain water. Stir the sauce in (see below).

The sauce
In a quarter-cup measuring cup, pour in cayenne pepper to taste. Fill about 3/4 of the way with seasoned rice vinegar (if you must use a different kind of vinegar, you should use less). Top it off with olive oil. Do this while the kushery is cooking, so that the cayenne flavors the vinegar nicely. After draining the water, pour sauce over pasta mixture and stir well.

This makes a meal for one person, or side dishes for two. The recipe scales easily; my husband has made it for groups of twenty before. If you want a shorter cooking time, you can either pre-cook the brown rice and mix it in at the same time as the sauce, or substitue white rice instead. White rice should be added at the same time as the lentils.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.