FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Being Wealthy and Eating the Poor

Author Topic: Being Wealthy and Eating the Poor
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
GWB and Company must have some use for the poor...Eat the Poor!
Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
[No No]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehehe. These disgruntled Democrats are so cute. [Kiss]
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Come on people!

Whether you are a Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, LaRouchie or whatever -- that's a brilliant, hilarious Dobie.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
It is. That's why I chuckled.

Also, I'm Canadian, so I get to poke fun at Democrats and Republicans alike. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Who said that was reserved for non-Americans? [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
That such a rip off of Swift's Modest Proposal. But it's funny, nevertheless.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
My instant reaction was "Hey! That's like A Modest Proposal!" *thanks english teacher for making her read it*
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
The poor tend to be stringy.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my kids had to read Swift's "Modest Proposal" for literature class.

Then each student had to submit their own, original "Modest Proposal" (something similar -- suggesting some outrageous 'solution' to a social problem)

I'm wondering how many of your (who had to read this in school) had to do a similar assignment, and what YOUR "modest proposal" was.....

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I read it but we didn't have to suggest anything of our own. It would be interesting to see what people came up with.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
starLisa,

In the US, we also have a lot of fat poor, too.

Dig in, everybody!

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
That must be why the government gives the poor subsidies for cheese and peanut butter instead of fresh produce.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
In my brief stint at a grocery store in a poor part of town, I was always saddened to see that the people on food stamps were buying the most expensive and least healthy food.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

They're poor! They're depressed! They need comfort food!

So far, I know I can speak to at least 2 out of 3 of those statements!

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
No, no you've got it all wrong. Eat the Rich ! !

The rich are far tastier and more nutritious than the poor. They are also lower in PCBs and heavy metals.

quote:
Eat the Rich: there's only one thing that they're good for
Eat the Rich: take one bite now - come back for more
Eat the Rich: I gotta get this off my chest
Eat the Rich: take one bite now, spit out the rest

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.