FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Song Covers That Are Better Than The Original Recordings (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Song Covers That Are Better Than The Original Recordings
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:
Originally posted by GaalDornick:
House of the Rising Sun
Cover: Both Muse and Santa Esmeralda made awesome versions, both completely different takes
Original: I think it was The Animals

Excuse me. That is a folk song. It was in a Lomax collection, even. I don't know that you can say they "covered" it if it's been around for ages, can you?
It's a folk song, but there are still "covers" in the sense that there have been a number of classic "definitive" recordings in different styles- and those have influenced other recordings, so you could call those "covers" of the recordings themselves.

There are plenty of rock and blues standards today that we receive primarily through covers or influenced recordings, rather than those that inspired them, or the original songs themselves as folk songs.

For instance, Catfish blues and Red House are identified with Jimi Hendrix, but were in his day identified with Muddy Waters. If you "cover" one of those today, you are probably covering Hendrix. Same goes for Bob Dylan's "All along the Watchtower," the definitive recording is definitely Hendrix and not Dylan- so you'd say you were doing a cover of Hendrix, and a Bob Dylan song. It does annoy me though when the original authorship is ignored.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.