FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Impressive Elder Scrolls IV videos

Author Topic: Impressive Elder Scrolls IV videos
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
Here we are. The physics, graphics... everything. It looks amazing.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
If they are really generating that stuff real-time and unscripted (or I guess at least "flexibly" scripted), I have to say I didn't know the technology was this advanced.

I saw military training systems that did automatic terrain building back a few years ago and the horsepower required to make them work well was well beyond anything that normal users could afford.

Is this stuff running on normal home computers? Or is this only for some top-of-the-line gaming system?

Man, I'm so behind the times.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

You'll probably get the quality of the footage in the vid only on a top of the line system, or on the Xbox 360. But yes, I find it quite amazing they can let NPC's do stuff the way they want, and everything they described about the forest growth.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
That really is staggering. Worlds beyond what they were able to produce for Morrowind. Now the question is whether to buy a new computer or get an XBox 360.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Considering an Xbox 360 may cost as much as a new computer, I'm voting computer.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sort of debating on the same thing as Noemon. I might get a new computer, but it'll probably be one that's not good on graphics. If I get one in my room that we already own, it'll be a standard Emachine or Compaq. I'm guessing it'll be hard to play Oblivion on that, no?
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
True. It just may still be cheaper to add a different video card to a new system than buy an Xbox 360. [Wink]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
I played Morrowind on both XBox (rented) and PC (bought) and MUCH preferred PC. I will buy the PC version again for sure! I can't wait until it comes out, but I may have to get pregnant again in order to have time to play. I was pregnant and too sick to do anything but lay around so I played (and beat) Morrowind. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
I just tried to play Serious Sam 2 today, and there isn't anything I can do to make it actually playable with my 'old' hardware.

Good thing I preordered an XBox360.

Anyways, I hope I can actually get into this Morrowind. I plan on playing it for the 360.

Tick: The next upgrade I do will be a complete A64 (preferably 4000+ or higher with 1MB cache or higher, Dual Core) PciExpress some near or top of the line Nvidia card at least a gig of ram, and SATA drives.

It's cheaper for me to buy an XBox, as my PC currently does everything I need it to with the exception of SS2.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TheTick:
Considering an Xbox 360 may cost as much as a new computer, I'm voting computer.

Probably won't cost as much as a computer that can run oblivion.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
360 is $399 so it won't cost as much as a computer as capable as it. [Smile]
I know we are sold out of pre-orders for the first shipment all over my district.

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

There aren't all that many amazing games that are going to be coming out on it anytime soon. DOA4 looks good, Oblivion looks amazing, but other than that, Halo 3 looks to be the next big hit. Of course, there could easily be a couple that sneak up on us.

It's still good for a system launch, but it's not good enough to justify $400 imo. I, for one, will be waiting until a price drop. Probably, anyways, it is still mighty tempting.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
There's no way my computer will be able to play this game. This makes me sad. One day though, one day.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
But the $400 includes : 20g hard drive, headset, dvd remote, ethernet cable, wireless controller, xbox live silver and 30 days xbox live gold, and combination High-Definition Component and Standard A/V Cable.

I think that's pretty good!

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

There's a couple launch games for the 360 that I'll be keeping an eye out for besides this. From what I've seen of Call of Duty 2, it also looks to be stunning, and I'm interested in Perfect Dark Zero. Everyone's raving about Kameo, though I never read what it was about, I suppose it's something I should be on the lookout for.
ricree101
Member # 7749

quote:
Originally posted by Treason:
But the $400 includes : 20g hard drive, headset, dvd remote, ethernet cable, wireless controller, xbox live silver and 30 days xbox live gold, and combination High-Definition Component and Standard A/V Cable.

I think that's pretty good!

True, but there are so many good xbox games that I haven't had a chance to play yet.
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
Hamson: Kameo looks impressive because they have hundreds and even thousands of enemies / people on the screen at once. Albiet they are rather low poly compared to some other stuff we have seen on x360 but it still looks awesome to me.

Kameo
General info from xbox.com
IGN developer commentary from TGS
I didn't watch all of the commentary because I felt they were giving away way too much information on the game, I did however watch the first half of it.

I'm somewhat excited for Amped3 because my brother worked on Amped2. I'm quite certain that without him they wouldn't have been able to display it in 720p on the old xbox.

I'm overall excited because of how much horsepower developers appear to have at their disposal this time around. Soon we'll start seeing some completely innovative things that are procedurally based. In fact, I hope Spore gets ported to Xbox360, or I upgrade my pc by when it comes out.

ricree101: With the hard drive, you should be able to play some xbox1 games with the 360. This is another reason why I'm getting one, my xbox's dvd drive isn't as functional as I'd like it to be.
The degree of functionality we will see from backwards compatibility still remains unclear to this point. They say they will get the best sellers working for sure, and work on the rest of the library. It does have enough horsepower to emulate the cpu if needed. I actually doubt that much code was low level anyways, and if they were to just re-compile a binary for the new architechture they would still have to deal with gpu specific commands, which they could write a wrapper.

I'm not a dev on any of this stuff, but I work with other 3D hardware lowlevel and see how it works. I don't understand everything extremely well yet, but getting I'm there. Thank goodness for OpenSource.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

Thanks for the links raventh, this game looks to be pretty interesting and innovative.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.