FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hurts to Breathe

Author Topic: Hurts to Breathe
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
If it hurts to breathe after a cold is that a bad sign?
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Does it feel like a 300 pound man is sitting on your chest? If so, go to the doctor.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
How badly have you been coughing? It can just be strained intercostal muscles -- I get that.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Not as bad as I was before, but after the cough I feel tired and it makes me think of operas like La Traviata and La Boheme.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
operas like La Traviata and La Boheme.
So, besides being sick, you're getting overly dramatic?

[Wink]

I've had "walking pneumonia" (or whatever they call it) and bronchitis before. Neither one clears up readily without some treatment. If you have coverage, the sooner you get treatment started, the better.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
I concur with Bob. I had bronchitis four times in one year once (our apartment was riddled with mold), and had symptoms that sound like yours. Usually it was a cold first, by the way.
Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Hurts to breathe is not a normal thing. If you have been coughing super hard, you may have sprained a muscle or even broken your own ribs. Uh huh. I've seen it happen.

Could be costochondritis. An anti-inflammatory would help, if that were the case.

Not to be *overly dramatic*, but I have had awful pain on breathing from pulmonary emboli. Which is a serious thing.

In any event, I'd go to the doctor to have it checked out in the morning.

However, if you are having shortness of breath along with the pain, call 911 and get yourself to the emergency room PRONTO.

Feel better, honey!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just glad that this thread wasn't the Hallmark card from Mr. Deeds. I cringed when I read the title.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom had severe pain in her chest after a cold, and went to a doctor to discover that she had been coughing so hard that her right lung had collapsed, then later reinflated, and was swollen. So it's probably a good idea to go see a doctor if you can.
Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JannieJ
Member # 8683

- posted      Profile for JannieJ   Email JannieJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Breathing is generally supposed to be painless, in order to encourage you to continue doing it. Seriously, it's probably a good idea to see a doctor if you can.
Posts: 74 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack Rule #104--If you find yourself starting a thread asking if you should seek professional medical/psychological/or dental help, quit writing your post immediately and get the @#$$ help.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually sprained my diaphragm from coughing once. Didn't know I could do that! Also bruised ribs. Blecch.

Did you go to the doctor yet?

(and a 'ditto' to dan's statement)

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Gonna go tomorrow if I can there there....
Sucks not having a car and Brockton's about 10 miles from my job.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Syn,

What did the doctor say? How are you?

**holds a mirror to Synesthesia's nose**

Are you still breathing?

**concerned**

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Syn, are you OK? [Angst]
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I now have another cold... All because of galavanting through Cambridge wearing a trench coat in freezing rain in search of sushi and Japanese snacks.
I go to the doctor on Thursday. I have spent most of the day sleeping and being rather sore.
Which means these movies will be late. I hate that.

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JannieJ:
Breathing is generally supposed to be painless, in order to encourage you to continue doing it.

May I have your permission to add this to my list of potential sig lines?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Take care of yourself. You are clearly a delicate flower, and should be kept sheltered under glass.

Are you still having painful breathing? And why are you waiting until Thursday to see the doctor?

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

That was the only time they could change my appointment too.
They are making me preregister for free care first or something...
The breathing is less painful, but the cough is still there.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Could also be pleurisy. Pleurisy hurts. If it turns to "wet" pleurisy, it hurts less but becomes harder to breathe. See a doctor.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.