FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Xena and Gabrielle... and Buffy vs the SpaceVampires

Author Topic: Xena and Gabrielle... and Buffy vs the SpaceVampires
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
...are now part of our shared mythology.

[ December 16, 2005, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Bother. I just posted this in the space-related thread.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

That's cool. Makes it easier to find, later.
Just thought that this was generally interesting even for folks who don't read the sci/tech-related threads.

And somehow Xena and Gabrielle seem to be more apt as names than anything that I would expect the InternationalAstronomicalUnion to come up with, or approve.

I propose we ignore the IAU and use these names, until the IAU gives it up as a hopeless battle.
It worked for the 2000 Millenium [Smile]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Having a moon is just inherently cool - and it is something that most self-respecting planets have, so it is good to see that this one does, too."

*snort*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience, planets acquire a lot of moon as compensation. A good rule of thumb is that that confidence is inversely porportional to the number of moons the planet has.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Darn, mackillian beat me to it!
quote:
"Having a moon is just inherently cool - and it is something that most self-respecting planets have, so it is [ROFL] good to see that this one does, too."

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic!

My son is obsessed with news of 2003 UB313 (now Xena), and gets into debates with adults about the existence of a tenth planet. Now I can arm his debate with the name "Xena" and now--a moon!

Also, I didn't realize that Xena was bigger than Pluto. Thanks for the link!

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Hurrah! I do believe that this is our first lesbian planet/moon couple.

I hope that they will be very happy together.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Yep, Buffy is still an oddball.
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yep, Buffy is still an oddball.
In every generation, there is a chosen Kuiper Belt Object. She alone will stand against the normal understanding of gravity and distant orbital motion. She is the Oddball.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, speaking of Hercules and Xena, I saw Callisto on Seventh Heaven last night!

She is so pretty, and her character on that show is so sweet, but I thought, "What an evil witch!"

I do not watch that show enough to know her character's name, but it made me realize how much a character can get branded in your mind as a certain type.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know, just the fact that respected astronomers are naming objects after sci-fi/fantasy characters just gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

Just knowing that there are (debately)planets named Xena and Buffy is one of the best Christmas presents I could have recieved.

Thanks for making my day complete.

Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennabean
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for jennabean   Email jennabean         Edit/Delete Post 
AAAAIIIIIIEEEEEYEYEYYEYEYEYEEYE

That's really all that comes to mind when I see "Xena".

Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.