FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » National Merit Scholar Essay

Author Topic: National Merit Scholar Essay
HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm editing my essay for the National Merit Scholarship right now. Do you know if I would be made ineligible or if my essay would be scratched if I was to post portions of it online for review and critique?
Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Just my gut feeling is that it would NOT be a good idea. Remember there are lots of other people out there right now working on THEIR National Merit Scholarship essay (including my daughter's best friend).

I don't know the rules, it just seems to me like you may regret doing so. I would hate for the judging board to decide to do random internet searches to check for plagarized stuff, and see any of your words pop up. (edit: not that it would be plagarized, it would be your own words -- but they don't know you from your screen name, etc.)

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. If you have specific critiquing needs, you might want to ask a few people to let you e-mail it to them and have them give their opinions. I think that's allowed (although I'm not sure.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
<-- Concurs. Asked the same question once.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
My son's English teacher and my husband worked with my son on his National Merit essay.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"...but they don't know you from your screen name..."

And if they think it's plagerized, they won't ask "Are you HRE?" before they toss your essay out.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
When did they start having an essay requirement? When I was in high school, you got semi-finalist based on your PSAT scores, and... honestly I don't remember what their basis was for finalist. We had 7 semi-finalists in our class (of 60 students), and six of us made it to finalist. The one who didn't... well, he had tried to test the system. They weren't amused.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I think we had a very short essay for our National Merit applications...because I seem to remember that unlike every other application I was filling out at the time, everything had to fit solely on the page they gave you.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
The semifinalists are selected by PSAT scores, and then there is a very short essay (~500 words) about what distinguishes you, what your goals are and so forth.

I wrote my essay about my goal and what I have done to reach it, as opposed to making what is basically a list in paragraph form of my accomplishments, activities, and so forth.

Because of the way I wrote it, though, there are many noteworthy things I've done that I didn't get to include. I'm starting to have second thoughts about what to do with it.

What do you think?

Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
The advice I got? Show, don't tell. Write about yourself, not necessarily about what you've done. And more importantly, sound like "you".

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I could tell from my experience and from just looking at the numbers the essays aren't really that important. My essay was pretty awful compared to the ones I wrote later on in the college application process and I did fine. Also, there are I believe 16000 semifinalists and 15000 finalists, so as far as I could tell the only people who didn't make it to finalist were the ones that didn't turn in the application.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.