FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How do you get rid of centipedes?

Author Topic: How do you get rid of centipedes?
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
My room is being overrun with them. Aside from being annoying, they really freak me out. Is there anything I can do to kill all of them?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
If something posted here doesn't work quickly, call the building manager, they have a responsibility to take care of the issue.

If they're entering at some particular location, sprinkle some boric acid powder there.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
We have so many here. The maid, when she mopped the floors, didn't rinse - left the cleaning solution to dry as residue with the claim that it would kill the millipedes. (Are they millipedes or are they centipedes? I have no idea. But people here call them millipedes despite the obvious lack of a thousand legs). It actually worked.

I then had a millipede graveyard on my floor.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

I'm hoping they're millipedes, because centipedes are nasty buggers [Wink]

centipedes: http://images.google.com/images?client=safari&rls=en&q=centipede&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

millipedes: http://images.google.com/images?svnum=100&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&q=millipede&btnG=Search

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

Definately centipedes. I think they're young, though. They aren't nearly 1.5 inches. Everywhere I've looked says that house centipedes aren't too bad.

*looks nervous*

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
"Centipede" and "millipede" are misnomers as there is no consistent number of legs for either one. In fact, some centipedes can have more legs than some millipedes. The difference is that centipedes have only one set of legs per body segment and millipedes have two sets per body segment.

That said, I'm pretty sure some of the photos in the "millipede" link above are actually centipedes.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Okay, you're lucky. House centipedes are a non-aggressive species that rarely bites, and can't usually penetrate human skin. They are poisonous, though, like most centipedes, so if one bites you in a sensitive spot it'll hurt a good bit and there'll be inflamation.
fugu13
Member # 2859

Karl: and vice-versa, but it serves for comparison [Smile]
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
I *hate* centipedes. I think if I was ever infested with them, I'd have to move out.
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
The *squish* method works, though it is time-consuming...
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

I'm squishing all of the ones I see, but they keep on appearing and I don't know where they're coming from.

And one I squished that was on the ceiling fell down onto the bed and I can't find it so I don't know if it's dead and apparently they like to burrow into clothes, so now I'm scared to go anywhere near my bed.

The more I think about this the more panicked I become.

KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
and messy. [Wink] [edit: that was in response to Olivet]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
If ya don't like critters running all over the place, the house centipede* is your best friend.
Besides eating pests of all sorts -- which you have; otherwise the house centipedes would have left or starved to death long ago -- they also ensure that ya don't get overrun by spiders, which are also their prey.
While I happen to like spiders, having spiderwebs all over the inside of my home would be annoying.

House centipedes are harmless. And certainly less disgusting than ticks and flees, which are also amongst its prey.
And don't damage your building like termites and some species of ants, again amongst their prey.

* The picture is of their general looks. The ones you are seeing may have fewer legs.

[ October 04, 2005, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that picture is freaky, aspectre. I think I would rather have spiders. Blacwolve, you don't happen to live in Hawaii, do you? Or feel like keeping the thermostat way up and buying a few humidifiers? Because I think geckos would take care of this for you. [Smile]
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a good page on centipedes: http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2067.html
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Would you rather have ticks and fleas eating on you, and (some species of) ants and cockroaches and silverfish and moths/caterpillars and beetles/grubs eating on your food and clothing and books, and termites and (some species of) ants eating your house?

I'll keep the house centipedes, thank you.
If you've got house centipedes, you've also got other pests. And the reason you aren't seeing them is cuz the house centipedes are keeping their numbers and sizes down to an unnoticeable or, at least, bearable level.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

House centipedes are harmless. And certainly less disgusting than ticks and flees, which are also amongst its prey.

I dunno. They're about equally disgusting, if you ask me.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh. I have to deal with these, too. And I'm not even using the "time-consuming" squish method. I'm using the "don't make any plans" method of chasing them with a large cup and piece of cardboard (sometimes with a bamboo stick, for flair -- to poke at things, of course, and coax them out of wherever they are hiding). I'm living alone for the first time in my life; dealing with these horrible things is totally up to me. Bah.
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread creeps me out. So. Much.

[Angst]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
The centipedes here are the worst creatures known to man and they prey on the geckos, not vice versa. We HATES them.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
and they prey on the geckos,
[Eek!]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Well, there goes my plan to get a job at the University of Hawaii! [Wink]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking of coming to visit you blacwolve, now it will require many pictures proving I will not see evil bugs.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

A typical sized centipede that was outside my house about a year ago.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:
I'm hoping they're millipedes, because centipedes are nasty buggers [Wink]

centipedes: http://images.google.com/images?client=safari&rls=en&q=centipede&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

millipedes: http://images.google.com/images?svnum=100&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&q=millipede&btnG=Search

Millipedes are like LONG pill bugs.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by maui babe:
A typical sized centipede that was outside my house about a year ago.

Did you smash his head? Way to go, the little prick can't come back from the dead now. [The Wave]
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:
Would you rather have ticks and fleas eating on you, and (some species of) ants and cockroaches and silverfish and moths/caterpillars and beetles/grubs eating on your food and clothing and books, and termites and (some species of) ants eating your house?

I'll keep the house centipedes, thank you.
If you've got house centipedes, you've also got other pests. And the reason you aren't seeing them is cuz the house centipedes are keeping their numbers and sizes down to an unnoticeable or, at least, bearable level.

I would prefer cuddly little black ants to these abominations. At least if I keel the queen, they're all dead. Buggers...
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest fumigation. [Angst]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

quote:
Did you smash his head? Way to go, the little prick can't come back from the dead now.
Actually, it was already dead, about 1 foot from my front door, like it was headed inside when we found it, but I sprayed it with Raid just to be sure. Then we ran and got a ruler and took the picture.
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

It was good that you took that extra precaution there, what if he had tried to bite off your finger as you were measuring him? Particularly if it hadn't been smashed in the head, then it would've most definately come back from the dead just to scare you! Oh Maui Babe, you are definately a lucky girl. [ROFL]
maui babe
Member # 1894

Yes, that time I was, but there have been others who did make it into the house. [Eek!]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*adds "centipedes" to her list of reasons not to move to HI*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Maui, if I saw that anywhere even remotely close to my living space, I would be running for the hills.

This thread gives me the creeps. Ugh.

aspectre
Member # 2222

No, you wouldn't, ketchup queen, not if you understood how nasty insecticides are.

And those monsters you've been getting, maui babe, are an invasive species which should be killed; to protect the native hawaiian wildlife if the fact that they pose a genuine danger to humans doesn't bother you.
And nothing at all like the common house centipede.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The hills? That's where the BIG ones live.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
No, you wouldn't, ketchup queen, not if you understood how nasty insceticides are.
Oh, I do. As a pregnant woman with a small child, I don't recommend fumigation lightly.

Let's just say that thing is in no way a lightweight.

Megan
Member # 5290

Dag, your post has given me truly horrifying mental images of centipedes the size of elephants. [Angst]

I guess then I'd come running right back down the hills and hop on a plane to go back to a place where there weren't any like that. Or at least, not where I'd ever see them, anyway. I'm alright with the whole "ignorance is bliss" thing when it comes to creepy-crawlies like that. Ick.

maui babe
Member # 1894

Believe me, I kill them every chance I get. I need no encouragement at all.
maui babe
Member # 1894

quote:
Originally posted by Megan:
Maui, if I saw that anywhere even remotely close to my living space, I would be running for the hills.

I actually live in the hills. Or at least on the volcano. I run for the Raid.

My cat plays with them. It completely freaks me out and I'm afraid he's gonna be bit, but he hasn't so far.

I have to say here though, I don't see centipedes often in the house I'm in right now. I've had 4 in my house in the year that I've lived here (not including the specimen above that didn't get into the house).

ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:

I dunno. They're about equally disgusting, if you ask me.
Maybe they're equal to fleas, but they're far less disgusting than ticks. Things that like to sneak up and embed their head in your skin are pretty high on the disgusting list.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
My cat plays with them. It completely freaks me out and I'm afraid he's gonna be bit, but he hasn't so far.

My cat used to play with black widows. [Angst]
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] [Eek!] EEEEEEEEWWWWWWW!!! [Eek!] [Eek!]

That is all.

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Ewww, eww, EWWWWW! I like spiders and can tolerate ants, but centipedes creep me out.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
I know how to get rid of them:

http://www.tripletsandus.com/80s/80s_games/centipede.htm

Just keep shooting!!!!!!!

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.