FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A not so theoric question (job-related)

Author Topic: A not so theoric question (job-related)
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
If you had a choice between :
-A job that can end, that you don't like, but that is close to home and leaves you time to spend with your family
-Or a job with no predictible end, that you like, but far from home and that would leave you very few time with your family?
I'm asking because I'll have a second interview for a job tomorrow (that would be the second job) and if they choose me I don't know what to do. It would be a dream job if it wasn't for the work time, every Saturday, every two Sundays morning, and holidays probably never at the same time than Hubby. It's also far from home, which I'll have to drive two hours every work day.

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Winder
Member # 8685

- posted      Profile for Winder   Email Winder         Edit/Delete Post 
It would depend on how much of a dream job it was... type of work...salary...both..?
Posts: 25 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Are the drawbacks to the second job permanent? Some jobs have crappy hours in the beginning, but as you gain seniority, they get better. Is the second job like that? Because it could be worth it to put up with the hours needed now if it means having a job you like for the long term.

If the hours will always stay like that, then I suspect that you will not enjoy it, no matter what the job itself is.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Having had a job that involved 3 hours of commuting time each day, I hated it even when I liked the job. I came to resent the job because of the commute. And when I was home with hubby, I felt so drained that I wasn't really there even then.

I'd stick with the job you like and keep looking for something more permanent, but that's just me.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

Type of work. The salary sucks, and I will lose a lot because of the gas for the car.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

The hours will stay like this. It's in a public library, so the hours are linked to the opening hours of the library.
Winder
Member # 8685

- posted      Profile for Winder   Email Winder         Edit/Delete Post 
The commute is definitely a downside...unless you're like and you love listening to music for very long periods of time. But even so...gas...

I would stick with the 1st job. IMHO.

Posts: 25 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

Winder, you're AK, right?
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Subtract all the taxes that you'll be paying from your wage. Remember to subtract any increase in taxes that your husband (ie you as a couple) will be paying on his wages because of your own income.
Then subtract the cost of fuel and the extra cost for food-away-from-home from that amount, and that is how much you are really being paid, your real income increase.

Add the 2hours driving time to the hours at work. That is the real amount of hours you are devoting to work.

Then divide your real income increase from working by your real hours. That is your real hourly wage.

I'll betcha you will end up with a real hourly wage a LOT less than you think from the job with a 2hour per day commute.

From your description, if I were you...
...I'd take the nearby job -- for work experience if nothing else; it's easier to get a new job when you already have a job -- and continue looking for work that you would enjoy.
Remember, you will have two or four more hours per week that you won't be using for the drive to look for your better job.

[ October 04, 2005, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think enjoying the work would nearly compensate for the lost hours, wages, and holidays. If you only had to think about the job, then maybe, but you have to think about your whole life and happiness, and to me, it doesn't sound worth it.

I moved from 15 miles from work to 3 miles from work, and it's amazing how much nicer life is with just that change. It would suck to go the other direction.

I'd stay where you are and look for something closer.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
My gut reaction is to pass on the further job that you'd love. I'm seeing way more negatives from you than positives on that one. There would need to be a really significant salary difference in favor of the preferred job to equalize the situation. Yes, I would take less money in a job I didn't like so much if it was that much closer to home and I could be with my family instead of on the road so much - as long as I could still pay my bills on that lower income.

With the cost of gas right now, and assuming from your statement about driving two hours a day that there's no option for public transportation, that would be a definite and huge negative. Yes, my commute is 2 hours a day but that's on a train and on foot, rather than stuck behind the wheel. I take advantage of that time by stitching or reading or occasionally napping. If I were driving, that would be completely lost time for me.

scrolling back... AN HOUR EACH WAY to get to a library??? {thud}

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Anna, I'm not Winder. My feeling is to stay with the closer job and time with your husband, but keep looking for something you like better.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
We just recently moved because my husband's commute got to be too much. So instead of changing jobs, we changed locations. It's been great! Is that a possibility? Move closer to the great job? Maybe halfway there?
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

quote:
AN HOUR EACH WAY to get to a library???
It's not my town's library, which is why it's that far.
Moving is not really an option, because we bought our first house 8 months ago and we would lose a lot if we wanted to sell it. Anyway, it would make us buy a second car, pay for the insurrance etc - not really worth it.
AK and Winder, sorry I thought you were one person : I had this impression from a look at the "Faith" thread and since I know AK likes to have multiple screen names... [Wink]
Hubby will probably think I don't know what I want. I've been bothering him a lot, saying how much I hated my current job and wanted to work in a public library. But now I know about the hours and the holidays problem, I realize that I'm not really ready to lose that much for it. *sigh*
I'll see this afternoon if they are ready to compromise about the holidays at least - otherwise, I think I'm off. Thank you, everyone, you helped me to think clearer. [Smile]

Anna
Member # 2582

If I sum everything up, here I am :

The new job
Pros :
I'll probably love the job
It would give me an experience in public libraries
It's a no-end contract (meaning I can go away but they need a good reason to fire me)

Cons :
Big commute time
Hours (every Saturdays, every two Sundays morning)
Holidays (probably never with Hubby)

My current job
Pros :
Little commute time
I don't work on week-ends and I have a lot of holidays, even if I don't choose when

Cons
I hate it
It's not really my field so it's not considered as experience if I search a job in public libraries
It's a contract with an end (in January 2006). I probably could get another one but that means I have to take care never to annoy my boss, because he needs no explanation not to give me another contract.

[ October 05, 2005, 05:09 AM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.