FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New column: What's in a name? Lifelong resentment, I'm guessing (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New column: What's in a name? Lifelong resentment, I'm guessing
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
What's in a name? Lifelong resentment, I'm guessing

Nicolas Cage, big-time Superman fan, has tagged his brand new baby boy with the name Kal-El Coppola Cage. "Kal-El" is of course Superman's real name and means, in Kryptonian, "He who will get beaten up in school, a lot."

Not that I have a problem with Cage and his super-homage. It makes as much sense as any other way to name your child -- I favor pulling out random Alpha-Bits, myself -- and it honors someone, albeit fictional, who clearly has made a great impact on the Oscar-winning actor.

But, please, someone, think of the children.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
How can they infict such NAMES on their children?
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
AWESOME.

:Father of Junebug, Super-K, LiteBrite, and Inkling:

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dropofTapioca
Member # 7867

- posted      Profile for dropofTapioca   Email dropofTapioca         Edit/Delete Post 
That kid's going to take up martial arts, I swear.
Posts: 32 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Art Vandelay
Member # 8690

- posted      Profile for Art Vandelay   Email Art Vandelay         Edit/Delete Post 
You forgot to mention George Foreman. He has ten kids, and at least four of them are also named 'George'
Posts: 31 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
It'll be pretty funny when these kids join gangs and take on imposing aliases like "Steve" or "Wendy."

Good job Chris! You make Wednesday special.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
ROFL at that column! Yeah, some people think I gave boring, common names to my kids -- but having grown up with a sister with a very "unusual" name, I saw what could happen if you try to be unique. None of that for me!

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Moon Unit. It has a really great ring to it. But I'd never give it to a child.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott R:

This is probably such a stupid question... But are those nicknames or real names? I only ask because you talk about them like they're real names. Which, ya know, is cool. Very creative... [Smile] But they sound more like nicknames... see... it's a stupid question... but you never know!

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, what can you expect from a man who likely married one of his wives (Lisa Marie Presley) at least partly because of his obsession with her father?

Yes, I think that some of the names celebrities give their children are kind of silly (although I personally wouldn't include Scout, Rumer, and Tallulah in those, as I think they are very cool names), but at least we don't have a list like they do in France where, if the reporting I've heard is correct, there is a list of officially approved names and one can only name one's child one of those names.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, it's easy enough to convince 3-year olds they can fly without naming them after superman.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
My mother named her daughters Jeryl Rayann and Viola Bessie.

I named my children Daniel, Jennifer, and Thomas. Anyone want to hazard a guess why?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
at least we don't have a list like they do in France where, if the reporting I've heard is correct, there is a list of officially approved names and one can only name one's child one of those names.
Not anymore. Actually we never really had a list, it's just that the law was old so you was supposed to give a christian name to your children, so some people started to annoy parents who wanted to call their children with other names (like Mohamed or Awah) so now the law has changed and you're free to call your child like you want as long as it's not prejudiciable for him (you can't call your child a$$hole, for exemple).
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl, what was her name?
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Actually I'm pretty sure they have a list like that in Argentina (I think that's the country). My friend's parents couldn't name him Gali because it wasn't on the approved list so they named him Kevin instead. Now that he's in the states, he goes by Gali.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I laughed out loud while reading the entire last paragraph.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
My Argentian friend's sister is named Galit. Is that on the approved list, but Gali isn't? My real name is a name that probably very few non-Jewish Americans can pronounce correctly (it's not Jaime. Every time I go to the Doctor or any other place where they call me my real name, I've never once heard it pronounced correctly. That's why my nickname "Jaime" was made. I don't think I'd last if everyone person I met I had to explain how to pronounce my name.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
That was an awesome column. [Smile]

I had to fight for the names I have for my children, my husband would have been happy with extremely plain names, he thought some of my choices were "too fancy."

Let's see, what all did he reject as too "weird" for his kids...

Audrey (my personal fave, I love this name)
Zoe
Cecilia
Claire

Men. Not that I'm unhappy with the names I do have, I think, personally, all my kids have wonderful names. It is a little frustrating to have multiple Emily's everywhere we go, though. There are four in her gym where she takes gymnastics.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Man, it's easy enough to convince 3-year olds they can fly without naming them after superman.
True. As I recall, it really hurts when you find out you're wrong. And I don't mean emotionally.

These celebrities who want odd names for their children could always do what a friend's friend's psychology teacher apparently did, which was not name the child until he's six, and then let him choose for himself. As I recall, that one wound up being officially named "Bubble Gum", with no one but himself to blame for that ten years later. I mean, it's not his *parents'* fault, right?

Other notables: My sister's teacher Mr. Bell named his daughter Blue, my mother went to school with a Candy Kane, and I went to school with two siblings named Buffy and Bucky who wound up legally changing their names as teenagers to Jennifer and Mike.

Of course, who am I to talk? On a whim five years ago, I left the nice, normal name my parents gave me at home and started going by the name I wanted when *I* was six... [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Fad names run in generations. In my son's class there were Britneys as far as the eye could see.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

The Buffy I knew was born before the Vampire Slayer originated, although I'm not sure if that makes it better, or worse.
Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dear. I'm the one who wanted to name her daughter Rainforest. I got Rayne, which is still a great name as far as I'm concerned.

But then, I'm a Jennifer, one among millions in my generation.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You forget one thing-- these kids won't have to deal with the common playground. They'll probably be sent to super-rich-people-private school, where either teasing will not be allowed or teasing THEM will not be allowed or everyone will have weird names. Heck, maybe they'll all go to boarding school together. That would be scary. In any case, if even that doesn't work out, their parents can afford private tutors.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Buffy I knew was born before the Vampire Slayer originated, although I'm not sure if that makes it better, or worse.
Me, too.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

quote:
My Argentian friend's sister is named Galit. Is that on the approved list, but Gali isn't?
No idea. I'm not even sure if it is Argentina. I know it had something to do with Jewish names though.

I know a Biffy. Not sure I'd be happy with that particular name...

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Kal-El? קל-אל?

LIGHT-HEARTED GOD?!

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that the translation, JH?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Stephen Baldwin named his daughter Alaia, a hauntingly beautiful name that ensures she will never, ever get correctly spelled mail.
I came up with this name years ago when I wanted to name a beautiful woman in a (fantasy-esque) story I was writing. I wonder how many other people have done the same? (I pronounced it to myself as "uh-LAY-uh.")
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

You know, I kinda like the notion of being named something that could be translated as "whimsical deity."
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
I like certain names- especially those that have a certain connation, sound or have meaning to me.

Hence, my son Connor Scott.

Connor, because my ex-wife and I liked the name when we heard it in the Highlander movie (though I didn't like much else done in that universe).

Scott, after a certain writer whose site I (and you) frequent.

If he had been a girl, it would have been Alexandra Brooke.

I also like the names Liam, Noel, Gunnar, and Sihaya (What Paul Atreides called Chani). Those last two I really like, but am not sure I could actually do that to my child.

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

I think "easy" is a more common translation of kal than "light-hearted". The Easy God. Ok, nevermind. Your version makes more sense.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

I had a dream once where the overarching plot was that I had to convince my sister to name her new daughter Maribelle or the world would end. I woke up and thought "Maribelle. I've never heard of that but it's kind of pretty." and it's stuck in my head ever since.

I read Alaia as ah-LIE-uh in my head.

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, deliberately Kal-El. The creators of Superman were Jewish.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Anna:
quote:
at least we don't have a list like they do in France where, if the reporting I've heard is correct, there is a list of officially approved names and one can only name one's child one of those names.
Not anymore. Actually we never really had a list, it's just that the law was old so you was supposed to give a christian name to your children...
Thanks for that, Anna. It's good to know that. [Smile]

Astaril...on the idea of letting a child name him/herself when they get old enough. Long ago, my dad worked with a guy whose parents did that. He picked Clyde. Go figure. [Wink]

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I know a baby named Kojack Maverick James Chuke, but I'm pretty sure his sisters (he's the youngest of six under 10) are calling him Jack which should stick.

Also one of my riding instructors was named Fern but no middle name, she was told she could pick at 10, she chose Umbrella. Her cousin got to change her first name at 6 from Reesa to Belinda (it was her choice).

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Back at my old stomping grounds (East Wind Community, in the Missouri Ozarks), about half of the kids had unusual names and half the kids had regular names. It didn't make any difference in school though -- most of the local kids had unusual names. (It was fascinating to look at the county paper's list of school kids' names. Around 1992 seems to have been when parents really got in to unusual names -- so kids born in 1991 were Doug, Bob, Sarah, and James; then kids born in '92 were, oh, Madison, Ashkalee, Mason, Kayrsten, and Juno.)

Anyway, most of the community kids with unusual names were fine with them. Zooey changed his name when he was 10 -- to Jasper, which is about as unusual. Ariel did change his name to something more normal -- Tony. (Around the same time that he started wearing a long black coat and taking karate lessons.)

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a client once named "America Faun" Her mom was, not surprisingly, a hippy.
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

I just found in wikipedia's entry for Superman:

quote:
Superman's Kryptonian name, Kal-El, resembles the Hebrew words for "all that God is"

Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess if Nicholas Cage named his kid Kal-El, then that means there's still a chance that my kid's middle name can be Danger.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
When I met LoQuacia (dead serious) and Ebony Blanchard, I decided to stop making comments. [Wink]
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Is your last name Mouse, Evie3217?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You know, I hate the name "Apple", but at least people will be able to pronounce it. I taught a girl in Primary named Keeleigh-Shae. Pronounced "Keely-shay." Poor kid was six and couldn't spell her own name; signed all her papers "K.S."

(I wonder how her parents came up with that name. Pig Latin for "Shaquille" and then messed with it? Or did it come to them in a dream?)

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I named my kid Ephraim (pronounced eh-FRY-im). He is the only one in his class with that name, but no one seems to think it is unusual, and no one has any trouble pronouncing it correctly.

Outside of the Jewish community, though, people want to pronounce it "EE-frem". He always corrects them.
We tell people to remember "I don't bake 'im, I don't boil 'im, I FRY 'im"

His nickname is "Fry".

In nursing school, I had a professor in OB-GYN nursing who told the class of a woman that she assisted in labor an delivery who named her baby girl Lochia.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

My mother had to help talk some parents out of naming their kids some pretty awful things when she was in L&D.
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the name Jasper, and it's the one I use for male RPG chars. I don't think I'd name a kid that, though.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

I named my frog Jasper.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Outside of the Jewish community, though, people want to pronounce it "EE-frem"
I'd pronounce it "eh-FRAYM."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I did meet a woman at a clinic named Candida (the yeast of yeast infection fame).
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was training to be a volunteer at our local Adult Probation Office, I met a guy with the name Napolean Nation (It reminds me of the Wal-Mart/Natalie Portman film and the name Americas/us Nation).

He gets a lot of questions about Napolean Dynamite until people learn his full name.

Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Astaril, is it something in the water here? I know a guy whose parents let him choose his middle name when he was four, and he's been "Snuggles" ever since.

Candida is also a Latin word, meaning "bright, pure, shining". Maybe they didn't know it was a disease too. [Dont Know]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.