FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Victoria's Secret, or My Laugh of the Morning (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Victoria's Secret, or My Laugh of the Morning
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
KQ, no denying that a lot of that look the kids have is fully supported by their mothers. I wonder if they mind when their daughters hit puberty and boys come on to them?
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I've seen working with these girls, their mothers often think something's "wrong" with them if they're not dating by age 12 or so.

It's really scary.

Especially since their mothers are then shocked and horrified when they get pregnant as teenagers.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, what age do you guys think IS appropriate to start wearing thongs and the like?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
what age do you guys think IS appropriate to start wearing thongs and the like?
It depends. I know teenage girls who wear them because they're more comfortable in them, or they like them, but don't wear clothes on the outside that show them off. It's fine for teenagers to wear fun underwear if no one can see it.

As for people seeing it? I'd say that should wait until you're married, but that's just me.

On to non-underwear, provocative clothing: I'd say if you're not selling, don't advertise, and you shouldn't be selling until you're an adult.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

When you are ready to be sexually active. For me, that's when you're married. [Smile]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
bev: But what about those who wear thongs for reasons that are entirely non-sexual?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
From what I've seen working with these girls, their mothers often think something's "wrong" with them if they're not dating by age 12 or so.

It's really scary.

no kidding. My 12 year old is constantly asked who she likes or who she wants to go out with.

She tells me that boys are stupid and why would you want to go somewhere with them anyway. [Wink]

She actually said, no kidding, that she'd rather go to a movie with me, because then we could talk about it afterwards.

In Natalie's opinion boys are immature, have no concept of personal hygiene and think of nothing but sports and impressing their friends by acting goofy. Those were pretty much her exact words.

I agree with kq on the thong deal - some girls actually prefer them and I know for a fact they're very popular among the dancers and gymnasts because they don't show out the back of your leotard.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
bev: But what about those who wear thongs for reasons that are entirely non-sexual?
Little revelation about me: I never wore a thong until after I was married. My above rule is for me, not anyone else. [Smile]
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Glenn, are you honestly comparing wearing lingerie or provocative clothing to smoking cigarettes?
I'm comparing:

{the marketing of sexually inappropriate clothing to children}

to

{the marketing of cigarettes to children.}

I'm also comparing:

{children acquiring cigarettes without their parents' knowledge or consent}

to

{children wearing sexually inappropriate clothing without their parents' knowledge or consent}

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

On the one hand, I can appreciate the desire to radically change society. But people need to realize that sudden, radical changes can cause serious problems.

Beverly, I'm not trying to radically change society. In my perfect world, the public square would function more along the lines of a port of call where many different cultures blend together and exchange goods, services and ideas, rather than be a place where only certain ideas and goods/services are welcome.

That said, I'm kind of burnt out on this thread. So, I'm not going to get into an argument about whether or not the observations various people have made about children/tweens/teens are accurate or not.

Thanks for the exchange of views.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by beverly:
I appreciate it when companies respectfully listen to the feedback of their consumers and consider it. When Carl's Jr. made a racy commercial featuring Paris Hilton, many people complained. The company was obnoxious about it, basically saying, "That's your problem, prudes, and we don't care". I really don't think that is good for business, and I personally don't respect that sort of response.

Personally I would think quite highly of any company with enough integrity to take a stand like that. We do not have Carl's Jr. here, but if I ever see one and need a place to eat, I may well pick them. Don't like it, change the channel, or turn the box off and read a book. They might have lost your business, but they might have gained mine.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.