FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Ladies, Please, Help Me Dress Myself! (Black Tie Edition)

Author Topic: Hatrack Ladies, Please, Help Me Dress Myself! (Black Tie Edition)
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
My boss gave my beloved and me tickets to a $100.00 a plate fundraiser. It's this Friday and it's a Black Tie Affair...

I have evening wear, but some of it doesn't seem appropriate. A couple of them are red, which I think is probably out (both have bare shoulders and, erm, slits, one is sort of backless). Don't want to be too flashy at a charity thing, right?

Another contender has a slight floral pattern, which seems too springlike to me.

Black would be best... but I've been sick and look a bit pale in black. Nearly vampiric. Should I just... use a bit more make-up? Will that make me look less re-animated, or more?

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Wear red. It is not inappropriate, and if you look and feel good in it, you'll be fine. I don't think you have to be concerned about the fact that it's a charity thing, half the point of those things is to see and be seen. Don't wear the backless one if you're concerned, but bare shoulders and a slit are fine.

More make up if you've been feeling sick will probably have the opposite effect of what you're looking for. Wear red, stand out, and enjoy it. [Smile]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad you don't have a gold formal. That would be totally autumn and you would look stunning and unique.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure about fundraisers, or really dressing black tie as a grown up (I really am planning to never have to do that), but I'd say wear the backless, slit, bare shoulders, bright red dress.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
And take pictures! [Smile]

I love red dresses. They're so pretty.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm going to buy a gold satiny formal if I'm convinced to do the county fair queen contest, or maybe something, I know i"ll have sponsorships, and I refuse to wear my pink prom dress, if anyone wants to see that picture, and have an idea for a formal under $200 (prefferably 150ish), I'd be happy but I don't want to steal Olivet's thread, it just doesn't seem worth it's own.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

kq-I have a pale gold one, but that is the one with the leafy, semi floral thing... Maybe I should take pictures.

ElJay, I do look sorta hot in the red... And my boss did give this to us as an 'anniversary present' (though he got the month wrong).

It's a "Men Against Violence" dinner, or some such. Perhaps I will demonstrate the benefits afforded the non-violent male [Wink]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Eh, Breyer, steal away. [Wink]
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Breyerchic04 prom 04

My hair's shorter (like chin length) now, but other than that I'm about the same. The rule says it has to be full length (which outlaws my gorgeous mid calf black dress), and relatively modest, though strapless, or some cleavage is ok, just not J-Lo's green dress or anything like that. It will be July, and could be fairly warm on stage, it would be nice if you find something I'd wear more than once, and less than $200. I've done some searching but don't admit to be good at finding things.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I love modest, classic, simple lines. I would definitely not mind being seen in a formal from totallymodest.com.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JannieJ
Member # 8683

- posted      Profile for JannieJ   Email JannieJ         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
I love modest, classic, simple lines. I would definitely not mind being seen in a formal from totallymodest.com.

Hmmm...some of those are really cute and retro - kind of Donna Reed-ish.
Posts: 74 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Exactly. [Big Grin]

I love some of their temple dresses. When I can afford it, I have a temple dress picked out.

Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
Olivet any charity blacktie function I've been to, any colour goes. Go in what makes you feel -hot- and have fun [Smile]
Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, go with the red, and if you feel really selfconscious about the back, add a lacy or satiny shawl or wrap. And pictures are MANDATORY!!! [Smile]
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

I tried them on, and thought I looked pretty good. Then I took pictures, which pricked my "I look pretty good" bubble. *sigh*

AND! We have a competing offer for Friday - it's a party thrown by a group that does sound and video stuff for advertisers. I would really like to hit that one.

Or pass the invite along to Taalcon... except I don't think I can. [Frown]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Then I took pictures, which pricked my "I look pretty good" bubble. *sigh*

First rule of choosing what to wear: YOU try not to look at the pictures. WE look at the pictures and tell you what we think, which is inevitably better than what you think.

I, for instance, always think I look fat when I dress up in ANYTHING. No one else ever thinks so.

Olivet
Member # 1104

In one of them, I'm twisting to get a picture of the back, so my back is all squinched up and it looks like I have a roll of back fat. I don't really think I have back fat, but ... *wince*

And I can't find the thingy that helps me dump the pictures on my computer.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
*begins chant*

pic-tures!!!!
pic-tures!!!!
pic-tures!!!!

everyone join in!

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Pic-tures!
Pic-tures!
Pic-tures!
Pic-tures!
Pic-tures!

JannieJ
Member # 8683

Pic-tures! *bangs on table*
Posts: 74 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
peek-a-chures!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
PICTURES!
PICTURES!
PICTURES!
PICTURES!
PICTURES!
PICTURES!
PICTURES!
PICTURES!

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
*sits back, satisfied that he still has the ability to start a riot*
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
*is curious as to how Jim-me got invited to a thread for "Hatrack Ladies"*

*sneaks away quietly*

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

*laughs*
Olivet, just about anybody in the right position can look like they have "fat roles" in most places. My sister is -convinced- from one photograph her one thigh is much fatter than her other. Which is really goofy [Wink]
Let us judge [Smile]

[ October 07, 2005, 08:20 AM: Message edited by: Jaiden ]

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
peek-a-chures!

No, we don't want Pikachu, we want Olivet in a slinky red dress!!! [Smile]
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
ewww! *wrinkles nose* Not Pikachu, PEEK-a-chures!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

I couldn't find the thing I use to dump images off the camera's card, so... sorry.

I tried them on for Ron last night, and the slinky red thing won. [Smile]

Evidently this dinner is at te Ritz-Carlton, and we got a sitter who is willing to pull an over-nighter. So Ron got us a room for tonight.

*swoons*

I cannot remeber the last time Ron and I got to be alone for a whole night... I thinkit was 2000, maybe 2001.

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds lovely, Olivia. [Smile]
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

[Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oooh, time without childrens.

Have fun. [Big Grin]

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I want everyone to reread Olivet's last post, except when she says "Ron" think of Ron Weasley.

Now you understand why I'm giggling.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JannieJ
Member # 8683

quote:
Originally posted by Enigmatic:
I want everyone to reread Olivet's last post, except when she says "Ron" think of Ron Weasley.

Now you understand why I'm giggling.

--Enigmatic

I can just imagine Ron Weasley's face when confronted by a woman in a slinky red dress. [ROFL]
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Olivia's Ron is nothing like Ron Weasley. *thinks* Well, his hair is kinda reddish, but not Weasley red.

Hope you guys are having a great night.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
What thing do you use to dump pictures?

If it's a USB cable, I have extras.

Just sayin'.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.